Hello

Tigwyk

Apr 30, 2018, 11:51:15 AM4/30/18
to MOO Talk
Hi folks,

Long time player/coder of MUDs and MOOs (20+ years) happy to find this community.

In 2012 I started work on a MOO based on The Laundry RPG which is a spinoff of the Laundry Files book series by Charles Stross. It combines Lovecraftian horror with the mundanity of government office work! So exciting!

I'm using the Hellcore and love the various systems that are baked in. It's been quite a fun time connecting all the various immersion pieces together.

Hellcore systems I'm using:
* Noises
* Decals (blood, vomit, ectoplasm, etc)
* Power and powerplants
* Combat (with changes to hit calculations)
* Normal and special room exits (cliffs, stairs)
* NPC conversations
* NPC actions
* Player action queue
* API interfaces
* Generic areas, subareas, regions
* Lots of other useful stuff that I've been fixing as I go

I've also forked and reconfigured dome-client.js to point to my moo (also it actually works now). This means I can just point folks at a website and they can almost immediately connect to the MOO. Anything to lower the barrier to entry, heh.

I hope to offer good advice and learn a lot here!

Cheers,
Tigwyk

Dgleks

Apr 30, 2018, 2:17:57 PM4/30/18
to MOO Talk
Hello,
Your MOO sounds interesting! :) Any chance you can post connection details?
Thanks in advance!

Brendan B

Apr 30, 2018, 5:03:55 PM4/30/18
to MOO Talk
Love that you are using dome client. I really need to fork the most recent Sindome build of that and strip out the Sindome specific stuff and write a better readme and switch to using .env for config and force Chilly/Johnny to update the public repo. There's been a fair amount of improvements made to the client in the past four years.

I'll say though that the version you are using is the same version that I use for my Sindome dev site and it works just fine. I did add VIM keybindings to the modal editor though, that made life a lot easier.

Tigwyk

Apr 30, 2018, 9:09:47 PM4/30/18
to MOO Talk
Yeah I absolutely love the dome-client, it really makes it look so easy to get connected. I would love to get a copy of the more recent client, but I fixed the current one to the point where it mostly works for me. Never thought to add VIM keybindings to the editor, that's brilliant. Just having access to a "local" editor has been amazing, I can't imagine it getting even better!

Tigwyk

Apr 30, 2018, 9:09:47 PM4/30/18
to MOO Talk
Normally I would but considering my game isn't playable yet I didn't want to advertise. I'll eventually be looking for help, but for now I'm mostly looking for like-minded folks to talk to and keep me going.

I found a weird bug in the dome-client so I won't post that address publicly yet. All of a sudden it won't let me reconnect to my MOO via the dome-client but I can do it fine via telnet. Just started today!

Brendan B

May 1, 2018, 5:12:25 PM5/1/18
to MOO Talk
You try restarting the client? Sometimes 'forever' gets stuck. We switched to supervisor a while back for keeping it running.

Also if you're using AWS and your IP changed you may need to whitelist it for that port again. That got me a few times where I was like WTFFFFF. Because I could connect to the MOO (I had whitelisted all IPs for that port) but not via the web because I'd only whitelisted my specific IP then changed locations.

Tigwyk

May 1, 2018, 7:41:55 PM5/1/18
to MOO Talk
Unfortunately I'm running it in an unnecessarily complicated way. I use a service from Zeit.co called now.sh whereby they provide a PaaS for your NodeJS projects. I don't think I'm using forever or any other sort of supervisor, I just use their "now" command line and it reads the package.json, installs the dependencies in the instanced environment, uploads your code, etc.

Long story short: I'm currently limited in how I troubleshoot the running instance of dome-client.js. If I start a new instance (change some code and re-commit) it'll fix the connection issue immediately so I suspect you're right and that it's just a silly problem.

Brendan B

May 2, 2018, 4:24:15 PM5/2/18
to MOO Talk
Ah, I haven't heard of Zeit.co but it sounds similar to Heroku in the deployment and such. But yeah, it's possible there are some uncaught exceptions or a memory leak in the dome client that forever/supervisor typically handle, causing a restart. Could throw a simple node script up there that uses exec or something to restart the client automatically for you when you hit the url.

Just Johnny

May 2, 2018, 9:28:04 PM5/2/18
to MOO Talk
I bet they have a recommended nanny solution. They might even use a fixed version of forever since it was just another npm module itself.

Apologies for the crap state of dome-client.js btw. :)

Johnny (aka JavaChilly)

Tigwyk

May 7, 2018, 4:38:23 PM5/7/18
to MOO Talk
You're probably right, I should ask around on their slack/gitter about a solution for restarting processes.

As for the state of dome-client.js I'd say it's a million times better than the other solutions I've come across in the past. A purely html+javascript solution beats the socks off a flash client, for one. So no apologies necessary, you've done a great thing.