Fwd: digipres Digest Tue, 18 Jul 2017

Teresa Slobuski

Jul 18, 2017, 2:36:20 PM7/18/17
to libg...@googlegroups.com, gamesan...@listserv.cla-net.org, gamesfo...@googlegroups.com, gamert...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Sorry for cross posting, but this is urgent if we want to see games preserved for future use and research. Please consider sending something into Ian by the 27th if you have specific examples of how current restrictions damage your ability to use games for research/education/etc.

Cheers,
Teresa
--------------------------------------
Teresa Slobuski
Research Services Coordinator
San Jose State University
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0028

From: "Bogus, Ian" <bo...@pobox.upenn.edu>
To: "PADG (pa...@lists.ala.org)" <pa...@lists.ala.org>, Mary Barbosa-Jerez <digi...@lists.ala.org>
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 17:59:31 +0000
Subject: [Digipres] Preserving Video Games - Help needed to pass a bill

Hello everyone,

ALA, among others, is trying to make a permanent exemption for video games in Title 17 USC 1201 (Circumvention of copyright protection systems). I am sure I do not have to remind those on this list of the importance that video games play in our culture, nor the difficulty we have preserving them because of restrictions current copyright law. So many video games have short commercial shelf lives and are abandoned by their producers.

How you can help: ALA is looking for examples that can be made to demonstrate the need for exempting video games from the restrictions prohibiting memory institutions from breaking DRM for preservation purposes.

There is a strict deadline. Please send me examples, or respond to this list by July 27th. I’ll compile and send all comments along to those making the case.

Thanks so much,

Ian

--

Ian Bogus