Question for teen librarians

Scott Nicholson

Jan 8, 2014, 7:30:33 AM1/8/14
to libgaming
I'm working on a grant proposal now to develop a public library ARG targeted as a summer program for teens.  Part of what they will do is observe and document what goes on in the library, with a focus on a different section during each module of the game.

We are debating if the modules should run over one or two weeks (or have both in the design, so libraries could pick).  The ARG is designed around a weekly 2-hour program that would run for about 6 weeks.

So, which schedule is preferable / possible?

One week per module:
 - Players get their missions.  While they are still there or sometime during the next week, the players document library use.  They report about this online, and get the results at the next week's meeting.

Two weeks per module:
 - Week One: Players get their missions.
 - Week Two: Players observe the library and develop their reports.

Is it reasonable that players can have an assignment in the library that they would come back to the library and work on before the next session or do we need to plan it around players only coming to the library once a week for the program?

Thanks,
Scott

Gillian

Jan 8, 2014, 9:32:55 AM1/8/14
to libg...@googlegroups.com
Many, but not all, of my teens visit the library between programs. I would prefer options where things can be done all at once, but the other is not impossible.

Gillian Wiseman

Sent from my iPad

Sam Maskell

Jan 8, 2014, 9:57:32 AM1/8/14
to libg...@googlegroups.com
I can see both schedules being made to work. Many of my teens visit the Library outside of programs. However, I think the most successful scenario for an extended program for my library is the one week per module.  My experience with programs that run over several weeks, like my teen tabletop RPG program, is that a weekly schedule has worked best to maintain excitement, interest, and participation.

~Sam

Laini Bostian

Jan 9, 2014, 12:59:44 PM1/9/14
to Library Gaming
During the summer we find that people often only come in once every two weeks as two weeks is the checkout period.  That said, if it is something really interesting, teens might be bored and want to get back to the library to participate.  It is hard to say without understanding what it is you are having them do.

Laini

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 09:57:32 -0500
Subject: Re: {LibGaming} Question for teen librarians
From: saa...@gmail.com