Last call for testers for Library Adventure - Event idea

Scott Nicholson

Dec 19, 2013, 8:34:54 PM12/19/13
to libgaming
We are in the last few months of testing of our Library ARG toolkit, Library Adventure.

The funders (IMLS) are looking forward to seeing what different libraries do with the toolkit, so we are putting out a final call for libraries interested in getting involved, making a game, and having some of their users try it.

The idea is that you select a controversial topic and craft five challenges that encourage players to discover information resources that educate about different aspects of the topic.   This works well with a specific topic, so think about departments or classes that might find this as a fun way to learn about five different resources.

In our recent consultation with MIT about the project, they had a good idea - to suggest that libraries do a Library Adventure event.  This could be a 1-2 hour event where the librarian leads it off by explaining that they are testing a new game, but there are some bugs in the game.  They'd like the players to explore the game and see how it reacts.   This would bring players together around the game, and would get a lot of people trying it out in a short period of time.

We are looking to wrap up testing by mid-February, so you do have enough time to get the game together and test it with some patrons.  We'll plan on leaving the server up until the end of April.

If you are interested, please contact me at sc...@scottnicholson.com, and I'll get you started with the process.

Thanks,
Scott Nicholson
Syracuse University