Academic Library Gaming Listserv

Teresa

Oct 20, 2014, 5:47:24 PM10/20/14
to libg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone, Please see the message below if you are interested in joining a newly forming listserv to discuss gaming in academic libraries. Send an email to the address below (not me!) to join.

Colleagues,
     I am pleased to announce an upcoming listserv for discussion of video games in academic library contexts (full info below). Meghann Matwichuk and I developed the idea of this forum after noticing discussion of this topic appearing quite often across a range of librarian listservs, but that no specific forum seems to exist for the very many of us who are now involved in building and making accessible games for serious academic use (and not just recreation).
     If you'd like to be a founding member of ACADEMICGAMES, please send me your email address NOW (off-list). We'll kick off the discussion in late October, and are hoping to have a critical mass of participants by then to start things off with a bang. Please pass this email along to any who might be interested.
Best,

Darby

Darby Orcutt
Assistant Head
Collection Management Department
North Carolina State University Libraries
Box 7111
Raleigh, NC  27695-7111

ACADEMICGAMES LISTSERV

This listserv is for the discussion of strategies, models and issues related to academic video game collections in support of research and teaching. It is intended primarily for academic librarians and library staff who select, curate, and/or support access to video games in any format (console, online, etc.) and in any academic library context (circulating collection, gaming lab, special collections, etc.). We welcome members from related communities (teaching faculty, game developers, etc.). This is not a forum for commercial messages or other non-relevant posts.

1) Anyone can subscribe, but only subscribers may post.

2) For-profit advertising is prohibited.

3) Subscribers should show courtesy and tolerance to one another.

4) Subscribers will include a signature line identifying themselves and their affiliation.

5) Be mindful of your audience.  Send messages that are directed only at a specific person to that person directly (e.g. "I agree", "Could you share your findings with me", etc.). Also, be aware that the archives of this listserv are openly available online.

7) When posting a survey, include background information regarding the survey (why it is being conducted, is it part of a class assignment, is it part of a work related issue, has IRB consent been given, casual / informal / out of curiosity, etc.).

8) When responding to the list from a Digest email, change the subject line of the response to indicate which thread you are following.

9) Whenever possible, quote only relevant parts of the prior posts instead of leaving all of the previous emails trailing along with the response.

10) Listserv administrators may amend these rules and/or block subscribers as they deem appropriate for maintaining the focus and vibrancy of this forum.