Error -26601: Decompression function

Anuj Sharma

Jul 21, 2010, 5:02:18 AM7/21/10
to LoadRunner, anuj....@rsystems.com
Can any body guide me for this issue in load runner.

Error -26601: Decompression function (wgzMemDecompressBuffer) failed,
return code=-3 (Z_DATA_ERROR), inSize=1773, inUse=5, outUse=0,
Snapshot Info [MSH 0 13] [MsgId: MERR-26601]

This is application error or load-runner configuration issue?

chaitanya bhatt

Jul 23, 2010, 11:50:59 PM7/23/10
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com
I suspect that you haven't recorded the script with the necessary headers. Go to the recording options>http properties>headers.

Ensure that your list of headers to record contains:
1. Accept encoding
2. Content encoding
3. Accept languages
4. Pragma
5. Transfer encoding
6. User agent
7. Accept- Charset
8. Accept
9. Cache control.

These are the most commonly used header tokens used in http 1.1.

Now, what happens if you don't record the accept encoding/content-encoding header is that if your server response/request is expected to be in compressed/deflated(which is defined in web server settings) form, but if Loadrunner/Client sends an uncompressed/inflated file/message, then the protocol goes out of sync. As a result, the Loadrunner compression function would expect the data to be in gzip format but the data sent from server would not be in gzip format and hence the error.

Add web_add_auto_header("Accept-Encoding", "gzip") on top of the request where your script stops and throws the error. But, I would suggest you to re-record the script with the aforemention headers in your recording list.

-Chaitanya M Bhatt
http://www.performancecompetence.com

Anuj Sharma

Jul 26, 2010, 12:19:36 PM7/26/10
to LoadRunner
Dear I have enable all the settings mentioned, but not fruit-full.
Still this error is there.
> 2010/7/21 Anuj Sharma <anuj11....@gmail.com>
>
> > Can any body guide me for this issue in load runner.
>
> > Error -26601: Decompression function (wgzMemDecompressBuffer) failed,
> > return code=-3 (Z_DATA_ERROR), inSize=1773, inUse=5, outUse=0,
> > Snapshot Info [MSH 0 13]        [MsgId: MERR-26601]
>
> > This is application error or load-runner configuration issue?

Krishnakanth PPS

Jul 26, 2010, 4:11:36 PM7/26/10
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com
Actually even I got the error and I believe this might be an application issue.

I was running 20 iterations to check and got in 3 of them. if it was something else related to LR, it should have been more consistent.

Just my thoughts.

I will see if I get that error again and maybe try to look at it.

Are you getting it consistently??

chaitanya bhatt

Jul 26, 2010, 10:25:01 PM7/26/10
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com
OK. Inflating and deflating http files is an expensive process. It uses lot of your LoadGenerator CPU and Memory resources. Ensure that your LoadGenerator machines are not choking up on these resources, because there is a good chance that this error could occur if that's happening.

Krishnakanth PPS

Jul 26, 2010, 10:39:52 PM7/26/10
to lr-loa...@googlegroups.com
Yea that might be the cause. But then it is important to find where you are getting that error.

I am getting on Vugen when I run for 20-30 iterations on a 4GB RAM Xeon Server machine which is a 64 bit machine. So choking CPU/Memory should not be a issue.

Also look at any custom code which you might have included and see if it is releasing memory.

Also, what kind of correlation is happening in your application, maybe it is the correlation function thats the culprit.