Spring MVC with GWT RPC

keyboard_samurai

Apr 18, 2010, 9:00:29 AM4/18/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

I am using GWT RPC with Spring MVC.. the integration details is
similar as described @ http://technophiliac.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/giving-gwt-a-spring-in-its-step/.
The integration works fine when deployed and tested on local servers.
When we deploy the war on an enterprise environment with SSO we face a
null pointer exception. The application unlike in the development mode
opens in a popup within a frame (This frame cannot be removed). Below
is the exception that we get ...

SEVERE: Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
javax.servlet.GenericServlet.getServletName(GenericServlet.java:322)
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.log(GenericServlet.java:277)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.doGetSerializationPolicy(RemoteServiceServlet.java:
219)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.getSerializationPolicy(RemoteServiceServlet.java:
117)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.impl.ServerSerializationStreamReader.prepareToRead(ServerSerializationStreamReader.java:
429)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.decodeRequest(RPC.java:
234)
at
com.test.server.generic.controller.GWTRPCController.processCall(GWTRPCController.java:
94)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.doPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:
86)
at
com.test.server.generic.controller.GWTRPCController.handleRequest(GWTRPCController.java:
63)
at
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.handle(SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.java:
48)
at
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:
875)
at
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:
807)
at
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:
571)
at
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:
511)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
637)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:
717)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
290)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
206)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:
219)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:
191)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:
128)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:
102)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:
109)
at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:
293)
at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:190)
at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:291)
at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:769)
at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:
698)
at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket
$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:891)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:690)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

The code use for marshalling and unmarshalling of the RPC request and
response is ..

RPCRequest rpcRequest = RPC.decodeRequest(payload,
this.remoteServiceClass, this);
return RPC.invokeAndEncodeResponse(this.remoteService, rpcRequest
.getMethod(),
rpcRequest.getParameters(),rpcRequest.getSerializationPolicy());

Please let me know if incase anyone has faced this issue before.

This approach seems to be working when i deploy it on my local tomcat
but creates a issue on enterprise environment with SSO (Siteminder)

Thanks in advance!

keyboard_samurai

Apr 18, 2010, 10:26:49 AM4/18/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Also i see a alertbox by the browser that "This page is accessing
information that is not under its control. This poses a security risk.
Do you want to continue ?

This is the only thing which seems different that the local
environment. I don't get this alert msg in local environment.

Please advice how do i remove this as well...

Regards,
-Yogesh

On Apr 18, 6:00 pm, keyboard_samurai <yog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using GWT RPC with Spring MVC.. the integration details is
> similar as described @http://technophiliac.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/giving-gwt-a-spring-in-....

keyboard_samurai

Apr 19, 2010, 11:03:06 AM4/19/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Any pointers for identifying what could be the problem?

keyboard_samurai

Apr 19, 2010, 11:51:12 AM4/19/10
to Google Web Toolkit
The issue was somehow the init(ServletConfig) was not getting
called... I made the controller ServletConfigAware and manually gave a
call to super.init(config) and that worked ...