Missing build paths for App Engine SDK and GWT SDK

kbow...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2009, 5:29:38 PM11/20/09
to Google Web Toolkit

[On a Mac OS X 10.5.8] I had to clean off my old Galilio and Google
plugin. Then I re-installed Eclipse Galilio and then installed the
Google plugin (from the update site http://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/3.5),
as shown here by Eclipse's "already installed software" link:

Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers 1.2.1.20090918-0703 epp.package.jee
Google App Engine Java SDK 1.2.6 1.2.6.v200910131704

com.google.appengine.eclipse.sdkbundle.e35.feature.feature.group
Google Plugin for Eclipse 3.5 1.1.2.v200910131704

com.google.gdt.eclipse.suite.e35.feature.feature.group
Google Web Toolkit SDK 1.7.1 1.7.1.v200909221731

com.google.gwt.eclipse.sdkbundle.e35.feature.feature.group

I'm trying work with an existing GWT/Google App project. When I open
that project and go to
[Project] > Java Build Path > Libraries,

I get a message "2 build path entries are missing.", and the entries
for

App Engine SDK [App Engine - unknown version] (unbound)
and
GWT SDK [GWT - unknown version] (unbound)

are marked with red error X boxes. Of course lots of stuff in the code
won't resolve.
I uninstalled & re-installed the plug once, but get the same
result.
What is wrong here?

Chris Ramsdale

Nov 21, 2009, 3:07:58 PM11/21/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
When you install via the updates mechanism in Eclipse it will install the SDK to a new directory. Double check the SDK references and paths within your existing project. If you expand the "GWT SDK" entry in the Libraries section you'll see where it thinks gwt-user and gwt-dev are installed. You can also click "Edit" and re-configure your GWT SDK installation.

kbow...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2009, 9:30:33 PM11/24/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Chris,
That definitely got me further: In Properties > Build Path >
Libraries, I Edited each SDK reference to remove the old path and
select the new one -- that resolved all the type references. However,
now I get the following runtime error when I try to start the project:

Unable to start embedded HTTP server
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to locate the App Engine agent.
Please use dev_appserver, KickStart, or set the jvm flag: "-
javaagent:<sdk_root>/lib/agent/appengine-agent.jar"
at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerFactory.testAgentIsInstalled
(DevAppServerFactory.java:102)
at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerFactory.createDevAppServer
(DevAppServerFactory.java:77)
at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerFactory.createDevAppServer
(DevAppServerFactory.java:38)
at com.google.appengine.tools.development.gwt.AppEngineLauncher.start
(AppEngineLauncher.java:79)
at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode.doStartUpServer(HostedMode.java:365)
at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedModeBase.startUp(HostedModeBase.java:589)
at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedModeBase.run(HostedModeBase.java:397)
at com.google.gwt.dev.HostedMode.main(HostedMode.java:232)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/google/appengine/tools/
development/agent/AppEngineDevAgent
at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerFactory.testAgentIsInstalled
(DevAppServerFactory.java:98)
... 7 more

How do I fix this?
Thanks in advance,
Ken

On Nov 21, 3:07 pm, Chris Ramsdale <cramsd...@google.com> wrote:
> When you install via the updates mechanism in Eclipse it will install the
> SDK to a new directory. Double check the SDK references and paths within
> your existing project. If you expand the "GWT SDK" entry in the Libraries
> section you'll see where it thinks gwt-user and gwt-dev are installed. You
> can also click "Edit" and re-configure your GWT SDK installation.
>
> > google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubs cr...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Chris Ramsdale

Nov 24, 2009, 11:23:49 PM11/24/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
GAE 1.2.6 and later requires a javaagent argument to be passed in. This post, over on the App Engine Group, may provide some guidance: