how to debug "java.lang.RuntimeException: Deferred binding failed for..."

tanteanni

Mar 17, 2011, 11:03:04 AM3/17/11
to Google Web Toolkit, derm...@arcor.de
(this is my last attempt to get a message through the moderators - my
last 2 question seem to be ignored)

at the moment i am working on my first gwt application (after going
through the (great) stockwatcher tutorial). I am facing problem on
getting server side services to work. on starting my app in
development mode i get:

15:41:13.749 [ERROR] [myApp] Unable to load module entry point class
myPackage.client.myApp (see associated exception for details)

java.lang.RuntimeException: Deferred binding failed for
'myPackage.client.services.AgsService' (did you forget to inherit a
required module?)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:53)
at com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT.create(GWT.java:98)
at myPackage.client.GWZmenu.<init>(GWZmenu.java:39)
at myPackage.client.myApp.onModuleLoad(myApp.java:35)
at
39)
at
25)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:
396)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule(OophmSessionHandler.java:
183)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChannelServer.java:
510)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java:
352)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see
previous log entries)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.rebindAndCreate(ModuleSpace.java:
503)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:49)
[...]

The Serviceinterface is:
@RemoteServiceRelativePath("AgsService")
public interface AgsService {
Map<String, String[]> getFedLandsCounties();
Map<String, String[]> getFedLandsComm();
Map<String, String[]> getCountiesComm();
}

The Implementation uses a jar that connects via jpa2 to a db to get
the Maps. I am using Maven the app was generated via appcreator (-
maven).

with this interface i went through the according part of stockwatcher-
tutorial (added Impl(emantation), an Async interface, updated web.xml)

the web.xml looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>

<!-- Servlets -->
<servlet>
<servlet-name>AgsServiceImpl</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>myPackage.server.AgsServiceImpl</servlet-class>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>AgsServiceImpl</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/myApp/AgsService</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<!-- Default page to serve -->
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>myApp.html</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

</web-app>

is there anybody whi can say what i did wrong or could say how / where
to look to solve this problem?

thx in advance

Jim Douglas

Mar 17, 2011, 11:06:48 AM3/17/11
to Google Web Toolkit
You said:

> The Implementation uses a jar ...

Does that jar file contain only .class files? GWT needs the .java
files so it can wave a magic wand over them and translate them to
JavaScript.

On Mar 17, 8:03 am, tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> (this is my last attempt to get a message through the moderators - my
> last 2 question seem to be ignored)
>
> at the moment i am working on my first gwt application (after going
> through the (great) stockwatcher tutorial). I am facing problem on
> getting server side services to work. on starting my app in
> development mode i get:
>
> 15:41:13.749 [ERROR] [myApp] Unable to load module entry point class
> myPackage.client.myApp (see associated exception for details)
>
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Deferred binding failed for
> 'myPackage.client.services.AgsService' (did you forget to inherit a
> required module?)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:53)
>     at com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT.create(GWT.java:98)
>     at myPackage.client.GWZmenu.<init>(GWZmenu.java:39)
>     at myPackage.client.GWZmenu.<init>(GWZmenu.java:39)
>     at myPackage.client.myApp.onModuleLoad(myApp.java:35)
>     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>     at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:
> 39)
>     at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImp l.java:
> 25)
>     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
>     at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:
> 396)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule(OophmSessionHandler .java:
> 183)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChan nelServer.java:

Khanh Dao Minh

Mar 17, 2011, 11:12:16 AM3/17/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, derm...@arcor.de
Maybe problem at GWZmenu.java:39
Could you post this code here?

David Chandler

Mar 17, 2011, 11:20:02 AM3/17/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, tanteanni, derm...@arcor.de
Looks like the Java source for AgsService is not available, but it should be available by default since it's under the client package. However, if you've put a source path in your gwt.xml to make another package hierarchy available to the GWT compiler, you have to explicitly include client , as well.

WRONG

  <source path='shared'/>

RIGHT

  <source path='client'/>

  <source path='shared'/>

HTH,

/dmc

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM, tanteanni <tant...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
w: http://code.google.com/
b: http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/
t: @googledevtools

tanteanni

Mar 17, 2011, 12:38:37 PM3/17/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I feel a bit sheepish about it.But the Failure was much simpler then
you all could imagine (obviously):

simply i missed "extends RemoteService" !

but now it seems i got a real problem: the 3rd party class the server
side uses jpa2 as mentioned before. and its code now throws "no
persistence unit found". But the unit exists: in fact this 3rd party
jar is executable and its running fine stand alone (the
persistence.xml is contained in jar file, packed by maven-assembly-
plugin).

so it seems that the access to "persistence.xml" is some how
restricted if the jar is accessed thru jetty/myApp?

tanteanni

Mar 17, 2011, 12:39:45 PM3/17/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I feel a bit sheepish about it.But the Failure was much simpler then
you all could imagine (obviously):

simply i missed "extends RemoteService" !

but now it seems i got a real problem: the 3rd party class the server
side uses jpa2 as mentioned before. and its code now throws "no
persistence unit found". But the unit exists: in fact this 3rd party
jar is executable and its running fine stand alone (the
persistence.xml is contained in jar file, packed by maven-assembly-
plugin).

so it seems that the access to "persistence.xml" is some how
restricted if the jar is accessed through jetty/myApp? Or why i got
this error only if run via myApp?

On 17 Mrz., 16:03, tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> (this is my last attempt to get a message through the moderators - my
> last 2 question seem to be ignored)
>
> at the moment i am working on my first gwt application (after going
> through the (great) stockwatcher tutorial). I am facing problem on
> getting server side services to work. on starting my app in
> development mode i get:
>
> 15:41:13.749 [ERROR] [myApp] Unable to load module entry point class
> myPackage.client.myApp (see associated exception for details)
>
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Deferred binding failed for
> 'myPackage.client.services.AgsService' (did you forget to inherit a
> required module?)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:53)
>     at com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT.create(GWT.java:98)
>     at myPackage.client.GWZmenu.<init>(GWZmenu.java:39)
>     at myPackage.client.GWZmenu.<init>(GWZmenu.java:39)

Juan Pablo Gardella

Mar 17, 2011, 4:43:02 PM3/17/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Put the persistence.xml in your source in the correct place.

Juan

tanteanni

Mar 18, 2011, 2:31:19 AM3/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
" Put the persistence.xml in your source in the correct place."

what does this mean?

the persistence.xml is located in myIncluded.jar/META-INF. And in my
webApp.war it is located in /WEB-INF/lib/myincluded.jar/META-INF. Imho
that's the right place, isn't it?

p.s. sorry for double post, don't know how this could happen

On 17 Mrz., 21:43, Juan Pablo Gardella <gardellajuanpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Put the persistence.xml in your source in the correct place.
>
> Juan

juan_pablo_gardella

Mar 18, 2011, 7:19:31 AM3/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
1) Post the complete stacktrace of "no persistence unit found"
2) How you create EntityManagerFactory?
3) Try this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3873545/wicketspringjpahibernate-no-persistence-unit-found

Juan
> > com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule(OophmSessionHandler .java:
> > 183)
> >     at
> > com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChan nelServer.java:
> > 510)
> >     at
> > com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java :
> > 352)
> >     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
> > Caused by: com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see
> > previous log entries)
> >     at
> > com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.rebindAndCreate(ModuleSpace.java:
> > 503)
> >     at
> > com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:49)
> >     at com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT.create(GWT.java:98)
> >     at myPackage.client.GWZmenu.<init>(GWZmenu.java:39)
> >     at myPackage.client.myApp.onModuleLoad(myApp.java:35)
> >     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> >     at
> > sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:
> > 39)
> >     at
> > sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImp l.java:
> > 25)
> >     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
> >     at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:
> > 396)
> >     at
> > com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule(OophmSessionHandler .java:
> > 183)
> >     at
> > com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChan nelServer.java:

tanteanni

Mar 18, 2011, 8:28:17 AM3/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
1) here ist the stacktrace (taken from eclipse console):
Starting Jetty on port 8888
[WARN] Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.UnexpectedException: Service method
'public abstract java.util.Map
myPackage.client.services.AgsService.getFedLandsCounties()' threw an
unexpected exception: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.encodeResponseForFailure(RPC.java:
385)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.invokeAndEncodeResponse(RPC.java:
588)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processCall(RemoteServiceServlet.java:
208)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:
248)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.doPost(AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.java:
62)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:
487)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:
362)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:
216)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:
181)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:
729)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:
405)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:
152)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RequestLogHandler.handle(RequestLogHandler.java:
49)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:
152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:
505)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection
$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:843)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:647)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
at
org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:
395)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool
$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at
myPackage.server.AgsServiceImpl.getFedLandsCounties(AgsServiceImpl.java:
19)
at
39)
at
25)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.invokeAndEncodeResponse(RPC.java:
569)
... 22 more
Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: No Persistence
provider for EntityManager named gwzPU
at
javax.persistence.Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(Persistence.java:
84)
at
javax.persistence.Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(Persistence.java:
54)
at myPackage.myApp.gwzDB.queries.AGS.<clinit>(AGS.java:21)
... 28 more
[ERROR] 500 - POST /myApp/AgsService (127.0.0.1) 57 bytes

2) private static EntityManagerFactory emf =
Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("gwzPU");

3) i tried it - i copied the persitence.xml into target/myApp-1.0-
SNAPSHOT/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF and to be sure also to target/
myApp-1.0-SNAPSHOT/META-INF and target/myApp-1.0-SNAPSHOT/.

didn't help

On 18 Mrz., 12:19, juan_pablo_gardella <gardellajuanpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 1) Post the complete stacktrace of "no persistence unit found"
> 2) How you create EntityManagerFactory?
> 3) Try thishttp://stackoverflow.com/questions/3873545/wicketspringjpahibernate-n...

Juan Pablo Gardella

Mar 18, 2011, 8:29:56 AM3/18/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Show the file persistence.xml

Juan

tanteanni

Mar 18, 2011, 8:35:30 AM3/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
sorry here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<persistence version="2.0" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/
persistence" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_2_0.xsd">
<persistence-unit name="gwzPU" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
<provider>org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider</
provider>
<class>myPackage.gwzDB.entityClasses.Class1</class>
<class>myPackage.gwzDB.entityClasses.Class2</class>
<properties>
<property name="eclipselink.jdbc.batch-writing" value="JDBC"/>
<property name="eclipselink.jdbc.batch-writing.size"
value="1000"/>
<property name="eclipselink.target-database" value="MySQL"/>
<property name="eclipselink.jdbc.native-sql" value="true"/>
<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.url" value="jdbc:mysql://
localhost:3306/gwz?rewriteBatchedStatements=true"/>
<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.password" value="gwz"/>
<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.driver"
value="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"/>
<property name="javax.persistence.jdbc.user" value="gwz"/>
</properties>
</persistence-unit>
</persistence>

On 18 Mrz., 13:29, Juan Pablo Gardella <gardellajuanpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Show the file persistence.xml
>
> Juan
>
> 2011/3/18 tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com>
>
> Erfahren Sie mehr »

juan_pablo_gardella

Mar 18, 2011, 8:56:30 AM3/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
1) Are you test if you make the WAR and put in Tomcat (for example)
and continue this error?
2) Is the complete stackttrace?

Juan

On Mar 18, 9:35 am, tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> sorry here it is:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <persistence version="2.0" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/
> persistence" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistencehttp://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_2_0.xsd">
>
> read more »

tanteanni

Mar 18, 2011, 9:43:46 AM3/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
deployed in Tomcat the persistence xml can be found!
but the errors becomes even strander (see below). i guess i should
now debug my "gwzDB.jar". but for this i need to it run in dev mode/
jetty. How to configure jetty/dev-mode to be able to access the
persistence.xml.

(probably someone have an idea whats going wrong here)
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already. Could not load java.net.BindException. The eventual
following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging
purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused
the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
java.lang.IllegalStateException
at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:
1566)
at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:
1526)
at
com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createLinkFailureMessageBasedOnHeuristics(SQLError.java:
1275)
at
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException.<init>(CommunicationsException.java:
60)
Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:409)
at
com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createCommunicationsException(SQLError.java:
1118)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.send(MysqlIO.java:3321)
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.quit(MysqlIO.java:1667)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.realClose(ConnectionImpl.java:4322)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.cleanup(ConnectionImpl.java:1348)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.finalize(ConnectionImpl.java:2679)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.invokeFinalizeMethod(Native Method)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.runFinalizer(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.access$100(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Unknown Source)
18.03.2011 14:40:16 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
loadClass
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already. Could not load com.mysql.jdbc.ProfilerEventHandlerFactory.
The eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for
debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
java.lang.IllegalStateException
at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:
1566)
at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:
1526)
at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.realClose(ConnectionImpl.java:4346)

On 18 Mrz., 13:56, juan_pablo_gardella <gardellajuanpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 1) Are you test if you make the WAR and put in Tomcat (for example)
> and continue this error?
> 2) Is the complete stackttrace?
>
> Juan
>
> On Mar 18, 9:35 am, tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > sorry here it is:
>
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <persistence version="2.0" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/
> > persistence" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> > xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistencehttp://java.sun.com/xml/ns/pers...">
>
> Erfahren Sie mehr »

Juan Pablo Gardella

Mar 18, 2011, 9:58:25 AM3/18/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

tanteanni

Mar 18, 2011, 10:26:43 AM3/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
thx but this thread isn't related to my problem: jetty can't access
resources located in referenced jar-files. Tomcat can access them.
Probably it's best to make a new thread - we are now very far away
from topic of this thread.

On 18 Mrz., 14:58, Juan Pablo Gardella <gardellajuanpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> See thishttp://forum.springsource.org/archive/index.php/t-37014.html
>
> <http://forum.springsource.org/archive/index.php/t-37014.html>Juan
>
> 2011/3/18 tanteanni <tantea...@hotmail.com>
>
> Erfahren Sie mehr »

Juan Pablo Gardella

Mar 18, 2011, 10:32:24 AM3/18/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
See this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2394334/jpa-and-gwt-failing

Juan

2011/3/18 tanteanni <tant...@hotmail.com>

> Erfahren Sie mehr »

tanteanni

Mar 18, 2011, 10:54:04 AM3/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
thx i overflow the thread and some links given there. it seem that i
have to reconfigure jetty or try to run hosted mode with tomcat. for
how to configure jetty i'll open a new discussion here.