WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

Farinha

Jun 27, 2009, 3:03:20 PM6/27/09
to Google Web Toolkit
The subject has it all.

Eclipse 3.4.2
GWT Eclipse Plugin
Windows 7

Thanks in advance for the help.

Miguel Méndez

Jun 29, 2009, 8:46:46 AM6/29/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
What was going on when the error was reported?  How was it reported?  Was there a stack trace?
--
Miguel

Chad

Jun 29, 2009, 9:58:55 AM6/29/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Miguel,

I get the same error. It's generated from Eclipse and shows in the
Console of Eclipse. It appears every time I run or compile an
application. I don't think it's a GWT issue. I searched around when I
first saw and IIRC, it's an issue within Eclipse itself. Trying to
write to the wrong registry root or something like that.

HTH,
Chad

On Jun 29, 7:46 am, Miguel Méndez <mmen...@google.com> wrote:
> What was going on when the error was reported?  How was it reported?  Was
> there a stack trace?

Miguel Méndez

Jun 29, 2009, 10:11:09 AM6/29/09
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chad.  I must admit that I have never encountered that one.

However, I did find the following bug in Java's bug tracker: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4479451.

--
Miguel

Farinha

Jun 29, 2009, 2:32:33 PM6/29/09
to Google Web Toolkit
It seems that the problem has disappeared.
Not sure what I did, but it might have something to do with the fact
that I've been messing around trying to downgrade to update 13 in and
attempt to get the Hosted Mode to work on Eclipse.
Or it can be something else completely different...

Chad

Jun 30, 2009, 1:39:43 PM6/30/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Yes. That's the same type of bug reports I found when I first saw this
error (when I installed Eclipse 3.4 on Windows Vista x64). I tried
creating the registry key the error complains about, but it didn't
resolve the problem, so I just ignore it. It doesn't appear to hurt
anything and after a short while, I stopped noticing it altogether. :)
I imagine it will be corrected sooner or later and one day with an
upgrade, the error will just go away the same way it came.

Chad

QingFeng Du

Jun 13, 2013, 9:02:26 PM6/13/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google Web Toolkit
well well, 4 years later, I came across the same problem.
here's my solution:
open regedit.exe ( really hate Microsoft and their regedit.reg).
change the permission of key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft.....Right click the icon, then change the permission to full operation.

John V Denley

Jun 15, 2013, 4:01:22 PM6/15/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google Web Toolkit
Just had the same problem myself, and found that to fix it I had to do what you suggested, but I also had to manually create a "Prefs" key under JavaSoft too, as mentioned here:

Sol Wu

Jun 16, 2013, 1:55:32 AM6/16/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google Web Toolkit
Thanks QingFeng and John.  I just had the same problem too.  And the same fix works for me. :)  (manually create a "Prefs" key under JavaSoft).
The warning message appears in the console when launching appengine development server from Eclipse plugin (Appengine 1.8.1,  Eclipse Juno EE SR2, JDK 1.7, Win 8 64bit).

Mark Vlcek

Jun 8, 2014, 5:30:33 PM6/8/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone, just encountered this same problem and this solved my issue as well!

Honza Rames

Jun 13, 2014, 2:24:14 AM6/13/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
One more thing to note. On 64-bit systems you need to create a key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Prefs. I didn't even have to change any permissions to make the message go away, just create the key.

Honza

Bert van Brakel

Jun 23, 2014, 12:29:51 AM6/23/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Confirm that adding the key to the Wow6432Node  as above does the trick. The other solutions didn't work for me. Could either be the difference between the 32/64bit versions, or java 1.7/1.8.

Deepak Mahale

Jul 8, 2014, 2:09:23 PM7/8/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Honza, works for me.

Daniel Beckwith

Jul 15, 2014, 6:32:56 PM7/15/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
So is this an actual bug in the Java API? That IBM link seems to suggest that: "The error occurs because java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences is trying to save information in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs instead of under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs."

Ekrem Saban

Sep 2, 2014, 8:17:01 AM9/2/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Same for me! Thank you, guys! I got the problem after I manually imported projects zipped from the PC onto my notebook.

Chris Bensler

Sep 9, 2014, 1:26:52 AM9/9/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
I had this problem also. There is no need to mess around with the registry though.
The fix is to run Eclipse as Administrator and compile your project.
It will create the registry key for you, then you can restart Eclipse as a normal user and you won't have the warning anymore.

Prasenjit Purohit

Nov 17, 2014, 6:20:36 AM11/17/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
creating a key at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Prefs
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs

solved my problem related to java.util.Preferences.

melwyn jensen

Feb 19, 2015, 4:40:06 AM2/19/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
I just restarted eclipse in Administrator mode and it worked :)

Anurag Verma

Apr 27, 2015, 11:14:55 AM4/27/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
This one worked for me too.

cellepo

Oct 15, 2015, 9:42:06 PM10/15/15
to GWT Users, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
The simple run Eclipse as admin worked for me too.  Regedit was not necessary for me.

Fernando Almeida

Nov 30, 2015, 12:38:28 PM11/30/15
to GWT Users, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Jeff, it worked for me too. Thanks.

CM Mullis

Jan 27, 2017, 4:42:55 AM1/27/17
to GWT Users, Google-We...@googlegroups.com
I know how stupid this will sound, but how do I create a key? What is it? I am not very good with Java code