GWT 2.0.0 Unable to launch default browser

Thad

Dec 9, 2009, 2:02:38 PM12/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit, th...@mindwrap.com
When I started Firefox 3.5.5 this morning, it updated the GWT
Developer Plugin to 1.0.7263

Downloaded and installed GWT 2.0.0 on my Linux box, and tried running
the samples. The development mode tool will not launch the
application in my browser, requiring me to cut and past the URL each
time. The stack trace is:

00:00:00.001 [ERROR] Unable to launch default browser
java.io.IOException: Failed to show URI:http://localhost:8888/
Mail.html?gwt.codesvr=127.0.0.2:9997
at sun.awt.X11.XDesktopPeer.launch(XDesktopPeer.java:75)
at sun.awt.X11.XDesktopPeer.browse(XDesktopPeer.java:64)
at java.awt.Desktop.browse(Desktop.java:368)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.BrowserLauncher
$ReflectiveLauncher.browse(BrowserLauncher.java:115)
at com.google.gwt.dev.util.BrowserLauncher.browse
(BrowserLauncher.java:212)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ShellMainWindow
$DefaultBrowserLauncher.launchUrl(ShellMainWindow.java:92)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ShellMainWindow.launch
(ShellMainWindow.java:278)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ShellMainWindow$1.actionPerformed
(ShellMainWindow.java:193)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed
(AbstractButton.java:1995)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed
(AbstractButton.java:2318)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed
(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed
(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased
(BasicButtonListener.java:236)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6263)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3255)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4630)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2099)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent
(Container.java:4574)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:
4238)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:
4168)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2085)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters
(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter
(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

Chris Ramsdale

Dec 9, 2009, 2:24:26 PM12/9/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
What distro of Linux are you running? I wonder if you're running into an issue similar to this one:

Thad

Dec 9, 2009, 3:05:11 PM12/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Haha! Yes, that looks like the problem. I get a similar stack trace
when I try his code snippet with Java 1.6.0_17.

Linux-wise I'm running openSuSE 10.3 and KDE 3.5.7 (and looking to
upgrade when I have time to hold up development, and upgrade two
workstations).

BTW, I only tried GWT 2 with Java 1.6 today. Two days ago I was
trying RC2 with Java 1.5 and hit a snag on the Mail sample with
StyleInjector (see http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/5e1405c528e0e38).
However since java.awt.Desktop was introduced with Java 1.6, the
DynaTable and Hello samples launched just fine from the development
mode tool.

On Dec 9, 2:24 pm, Chris Ramsdale <cramsd...@google.com> wrote:
> What distro of Linux are you running? I wonder if you're running into an
> issue similar to this one:
>
> http://java-hamster.blogspot.com/2007/06/troubles-with-javaawtdesktop...
> > google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

piyush sharma

Dec 10, 2009, 1:04:53 AM12/10/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Thad

Jan 25, 2010, 2:09:11 PM1/25/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Interestingly, this problem does not occur when I start the GWT
Development Mode from Eclipse via the Run button. The Launch Default
Browser finds and launches Firefox.