Configuring database to GSA and Syncing - error

Chandra

Sep 27, 2006, 11:40:21 AM9/27/06
to Google Search Appliance
Hi,
While syncing a database to GSA, i get the following error, any
pointers for the same??

WARNING: java.sql.SQLException thrown during query
java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not
establish the connection
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:125)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:162)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:274)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:319)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.<init>(PhysicalConnection.java:344)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.<init>(T4CConnection.java:148)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:32)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:545)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at com.google.enterprise.database.Table.getConnection(Table.java:352)
at
com.google.enterprise.database.AbstractTableReader.parse(AbstractTableReader.java:312)
at
com.icl.saxon.IdentityTransformer.transform(IdentityTransformer.java:90)
at
com.google.enterprise.database.TableCrawler.crawl(TableCrawler.java:230)
at
com.google.enterprise.database.TableCrawler.main(TableCrawler.java:351)
Sep 27, 2006 10:35:57 AM com.google.enterprise.database.TableCrawler
main
SEVERE: exp thrown during crawling
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.sql.SQLException: Io
exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
at
com.icl.saxon.IdentityTransformer.transform(IdentityTransformer.java:92)
at
com.google.enterprise.database.TableCrawler.crawl(TableCrawler.java:230)
at
com.google.enterprise.database.TableCrawler.main(TableCrawler.java:351)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter
could not establish the connection
at
com.google.enterprise.database.AbstractTableReader.parse(AbstractTableReader.java:408)
at
com.icl.saxon.IdentityTransformer.transform(IdentityTransformer.java:90)
... 2 more
---------
[...]

Thanks.

Regards,
Chandra

Amol S Deshmukh

Sep 28, 2006, 1:02:40 PM9/28/06
to Google Search Appliance
Chandra,

1. Does this happen always or occassionally (ie. has it ever worked,
does it intermittently work etc.)
2. Are you able to confirm that the database server is up and running
(maybe try connecting using Oracle client from a remote terminal)
3. If you are able to connect using an external client, you need to
investigate if there are any firewall issues in your network that would
prevent the GSA box from accessing the database server.

hth,
~ amol

Chandra

Sep 29, 2006, 2:36:37 PM9/29/06
to Google Search Appliance
I think it should be problem with database. I reimaged the system and
from the dump file i created the database again. I'm able to connect to
the database using SQL+ editor, but only when i try to configure the
database from GSA, this problem arises. So i thought it could be
problem with GSA. Thanks for the reply Amol.

Regards,
Chandra

PabloSolera

Oct 2, 2006, 7:53:27 AM10/2/06
to Google Search Appliance
Hi,

Have you checked the connection between GSA and the database server?
Go to administration -> network settings, and try on "URLs To Test" the
IP of the database server.
Then click on the Update & perfrom diagnostics... and see if the GSA
can reach the database.

Hope this helps,

Pablo Solera

Chandra

Oct 2, 2006, 10:31:42 AM10/2/06
to Google Search Appliance
Thanks Pablo, it gives me as unpingable status. So i think it should be
some firewall is stopping GSA from accessing the database.

Chandra

Oct 4, 2006, 7:01:49 PM10/4/06
to Google Search Appliance
But i'm able to connect the database from different machines using
instances, then why does the GSA gives me a unpingable status? If
firewall is preventing, then provide some pointers on how to make the
GSA access the oracle database?
Thanks.

-Chandra

Arun Batchu

Oct 5, 2006, 10:40:38 PM10/5/06
to Google Search Appliance
Chandra,
Did you solve your problem? If not, then you might be running into a
similar discovery I had to.
I found that I was able to connect to my machine from different
machines by just typing the hostname for e.g. "devap01" because ( I
am using Windows ) windows resolves it .

However, I have found that for the GSA, I have had to provide the fully
qualified name for e.g. devap01.blah1.blah2.company.com .

Its worth a try. The fact that GSA says the host is unreachable when
you run diagnostics , but that you can connect to it from other
machines, looks very much like my situation.

-arun

Chandra

Oct 6, 2006, 6:52:58 PM10/6/06
to Google Search Appliance
Arun,
No, the problem still exists. My qualified name doesn't have any
blah.blah1.com. It is just a one word and i have provided the same in
my GSA.
Anyways thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Chandra

colm_c

Oct 7, 2006, 1:32:52 PM10/7/06
to Google Search Appliance
the GSA needs a fully qualified domain name. - mydbserver.mycompany.com

If you can't get one of these, then you can use it's IP address instead
which should work fine.

PabloSolera

Oct 9, 2006, 3:15:42 AM10/9/06
to Google Search Appliance
> the GSA needs a fully qualified domain name. - mydbserver.mycompany.com

I´m sorry that´s wrong, the GSA only needs a name of the database
server resolvable by the DNS server on the appliance or an IP address.

I would still work around the firewall settings on your network, or the
port configuration.
It seems that the java error is not something like "host unreachable"
or "unknown host".

Anyway, check the DNS server to see if the hstname can be resolved.

You are near the solution.

Pablo Solera

Chandra

Oct 10, 2006, 6:40:41 PM10/10/06
to Google Search Appliance
I tried in GSA(Administration->NetworkSettings->URLS to test) the ip
address of the Database machine, it gives me a status of unpingable...

Regards,
Chandra

Jeff Ragusa

Oct 11, 2006, 3:12:56 AM10/11/06
to Google Search Appliance
Chandra - please contact your network administrator.

Give them the IP addresses of your GSA and your database server and
they should be able to help you determine why the GSA cannot establish
a connection. The outgoing port is a dynamically assigned high level
port, and the incoming db port will be whatever you configured,
probably 1521 for Oracle. The most common causes are firewall rules
and routing issues as has been mentioned in this thread.

The unpingable status is not a problem in itself as it may simply mean
ICMP is disabled or blocked.

Chandra

Oct 11, 2006, 10:13:59 AM10/11/06
to Google Search Appliance