SyncML

Christoffa

Sep 27, 2006, 5:43:30 AM9/27/06
to Google Calendar Users
Ok guys you've been asking for it, so here it is.
A SyncML sync service for Google Calendar.
You can do a bi-directional sync with any SyncML compliant device.
That's over 500 phones right out the box, PocketPC, Palm, Windows
Mobile, Outlook (with a SyncML client from Nexthaus Inc)

I invite you to join our beta program at www.goosync.com

Kindest regards
Chris.

Doug Weller

Sep 27, 2006, 7:02:13 AM9/27/06
to Google-Cal...@googlegroups.com

I've joined, got the confirmation on my phone, etc. but so far nothing
has happened.
--
Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.thehallofmaat.com

Christoffa

Sep 27, 2006, 7:32:54 AM9/27/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Doug,

You have to start the sync process from your device.
So let me try to talk you through this, these comments are Nokia
general and not Nokia 6600 specific.

On your Nokia 6600 you will find the SYNC icon - on my Nokia 6800 its
in the connectivity section.

click this SYNC icon.
You may well have several sync profiles, there should be one called
goosync.com(we will have downloaded this profile when you registered),
please click on this.

This should then display "synchronise", "edit sync settings" etc.
Click on "Synchronize"

This should communicate with your Google Calendar account via
goosync.com.

Let me know results please.

Chris.

Christoffa

Doug Weller

Sep 27, 2006, 7:52:57 AM9/27/06
to Google-Cal...@googlegroups.com
I found the sync profile, clicked on "Synchronize", got connecting for
quite a while, and then -- connection error! or was it Synchronization
error!, sorry, can't recall.
Message has been deleted

Christoffa

Sep 27, 2006, 8:51:31 AM9/27/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Doug,

Sorry my fault, I had the old URL configured.
Please edit your Goosync.com profile to have the URL as
http://www.goosync.com/sync/sync.aspx

I have changed it on the web so you could create another account if
that's easier for you.

Chris.

Doug Weller

Sep 27, 2006, 9:17:45 AM9/27/06
On 9/27/06, Christoffa <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> Sorry my fault, I had the old URL configured.
> Please edit your Goosync.com profile to have the URL as
> http://www.goosync.com/sync/sync.aspx

I see things transferring, then get the message Unable to open Database!

I've had this twice. BUT -- both times the calendars synchronised.
So, except for the error message, so far so good! Thanks!

Doug

Christoffa

Sep 27, 2006, 9:37:33 AM9/27/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Doug,

Glad you got your calendar syncing, I think we may added contacts in
the configuration message we sent to your device, we have not completed
the Gmail integratuon yet so this should be turned off, simply un-check
contacts in your Goosync.com profile and I will make sure our config
message is modified correctly.

Chris.

Doug Weller

Sep 27, 2006, 10:39:57 AM9/27/06
to Google-Cal...@googlegroups.com
On 9/27/06, Christoffa <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hm, this is fun. In Firefox, I can login, I click on 'My Account' and
it logs me out.

In IE, that happened the first time. The 2nd time I saw my account
details -- address, age (which is Wednesday, 27th September 2006,
surely you have to be at least 13?). And I notice, no sex. I couldn't
edit my age.

Doug

Christoffa

Sep 27, 2006, 10:52:37 AM9/27/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Doug,

"Well it works for me!" - but seriously, I guess I have the MyAccount
and Logout links too close to one another, I'll fix that.

The Age and Sex are items that you configure durring registration, as
it set to Wednesday, 27th September 2006 I guess you did not change it.

You should be able to change both Sex and Age (and this should say
DateofBirth) in MyAccount, what versions of browser you using Doug?

Chris.

Doug Weller

Sep 27, 2006, 12:09:56 PM9/27/06
to Google-Cal...@googlegroups.com
Hi
It works for me now!

But I can't find where to tick on anything, all I get is the page of
personal data.
Thanks for moving the links, that was probably the problem.

Stan

Oct 6, 2006, 9:56:33 AM10/6/06
to Google Calendar Users
Chris,

>From the limited amount of testing that I have been able to do, your
product looks excellent.

Please tell me, however, that it is not necessary to give you my userid
and password to Gmail in order to synch my calendar with your service.
This would allow your company to have total access to my email, my
spreadsheets, my Writely word processing documents, my private blogs
(in beta-blogger), my instant messages, and any other applications that
I might wish to trust Google with.

The only workaround that I can see, unless you change the registration
policy and move authentication to google accounts to the client device
side, is to use shared calendars. Currently, this is not supported, but
I understand you are planning to do so shortly from other posts. The
workaround would be a bit kludgy as it would require setting up a
separate Google account just to handle a private calendar that is
accessed by your service. Then that account would be given shared
access to my gmail calendar, and any other shared calendars that I
might wish to have.

Unfortunately, until multiple calendars are available, or you find a
way so that I do not have to give you my gmail account ID and password,
I cannot use your service without manually copying shared events over
to a private account thta is accessed by GooSync. I simply don't want
to give your company such wide access to my data hosted on Google.

I sent a message to the email address on your website about this
earlier tonight, but I'm sure your response would be helpful to the
much wider audience here.

Thanks

Stan

Christoffa

Oct 9, 2006, 6:32:50 AM10/9/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Stan,

I totally understand your concerns;
Firstly, let me assure you that your Google credentials are passed to
goosync.com securely over https and stored encrypted in our database,
these are only used by the goosync.com service to access your Google
Calendar account.

Secondly, let me tell you we are looking at other ways to authenticate
with Google.
Google now provide "Account Authentication Proxy for Web-Based
Applications"
see http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/AuthForWebApps.html
We will use this method of authenticating in the next release of
GooSync.com (end of month)
This will enable you as a user to grant permissions to GooSync.com and
not reveal you credentials.

Chris.

Stan

Oct 9, 2006, 8:28:59 AM10/9/06
to Google Calendar Users
Chris,

Thanks, I had a look at Google's Account Authentication Proxy, and
agree this is a much better method to deal with this problem. I'm
happy to hear you are going to support it in the next release. In the
meantime, I am using a separate Google account as previously described
to host a calendar accessed by GooSync, and am sharing this calendar
with my primary one. It kludgy, but at least it keeps my primary Gmail
userid/password from having to be given out to a 3rd party. I just have
to remember to use the "copy to calendar" feature to the shared
calendar whenever I create an event in my regular Gmail account (and
vice versa, when I create an event on my Pocket PC). After that, any
event details that need to be updated/changed later have to be manually
edited in both accounts.

Outside of the authentication problem, which it looks it will be
addressed in the next release, I am delighted with your service. Great
work.

Stan Shaw

On Oct 9, 3:32 am, "Christoffa" <chris.ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> I totally understand your concerns;
> Firstly, let me assure you that your Google credentials are passed to
> goosync.com securely over https and stored encrypted in our database,
> these are only used by the goosync.com service to access your Google
> Calendar account.
>
> Secondly, let me tell you we are looking at other ways to authenticate
> with Google.
> Google now provide "Account Authentication Proxy for Web-Based
> Applications"

> seehttp://code.google.com/apis/accounts/AuthForWebApps.html

ws6fire

Oct 11, 2006, 2:48:13 AM10/11/06
to Google Calendar Users
This is exactly something I've been looking for! Sync with google and
without needing to connect to a computer. :) (I run with a Cingular
8125 windows mobile 5)

I can't get it to work though. :( Ends up with a connection error.
Have you made it so it works with google hosted accounts too?
https://www.google.com/a/

Stan

Oct 11, 2006, 3:13:09 AM10/11/06
to Google Calendar Users
I didn't configure GooSync to directly access my goggle hosted domain
account, for the security reasons cited above. I simply created a
separate google account with its own calendar (no gmail attached to
it), then shared the calendar with my google domain account.

I'm currently using an old Ipaq 5450 with Pocket PC 2003. Seems to be
working fine so far. The only time I've had a problem with a connection
error is when something wrong with Internet access from my device.
Perhaps one of the GooSync support folks can help.

Cheers,

Stan

ws6fire

Oct 11, 2006, 1:01:40 PM10/11/06
to Google Calendar Users
I moved it to a regular google account and it's working great now!
I've only just starting using gcal and my 8125 so I'm not moving a
great deal of data yet. So far the connections have been very fast.

The only issues I have, other then the prementioned security issue and
being able to use with a hosted account are with the website. I
understand it's new, so I expect issues. ;) The data you collect seems
to be excesive. You don't NEED my address or phone number. Also the
phone number is required to be in the +441234123456 format. I'm in
the USA and this confuses and infuriates me! (that's a joke ala
Futurama for those not in the states)

Mikee

Oct 11, 2006, 2:24:25 PM10/11/06
to Google Calendar Users
I have the same problem with my Nokia 6230i... can anyone help us?

On Sep 27, 2:20 pm, "major...@googlemail.com" <major...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Same here. Nokia 6230i. I created a new synchronization profile and
> entered all information correctly, but got also a 'synchronization
> error' :-(

Christoffa

Oct 11, 2006, 3:20:28 PM10/11/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Guys,

We found and fixed the bug with the some Nokia 62XX devices including
the 6230i.
We will release this update this month and I will post again when
released.

Chris.

jaainc

Oct 12, 2006, 2:17:30 PM10/12/06
to Google Calendar Users
Chris,
I'm confused.
I have a dell axim pda. I installed syncml with no problem and updated
the profile with my username and password (this is the goosync info not
google?)
Then tap to start the sync and get a 'receiving error'. On the bottom
of the screen it says 'unreg demo'. I tried to register but don't have
a registration code to enter so didn't do that.

help?
Joann

Christoffa

Oct 13, 2006, 5:28:58 AM10/13/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Joann,

Don't worry about the reg code, we are goning to provide new
Palm/Windows clients that need no registration codes soon.

'receiving error' - i'll view the logs and get back to you.

Chris.

Christoffa

Oct 13, 2006, 5:29:06 AM10/13/06
to Google Calendar Users

hammock

Oct 13, 2006, 7:34:56 AM10/13/06
to Google Calendar Users

Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem than Joann. I registered yesterday and
running on SE K750i. When trying to sync i get after a short while
"GooSync.com Session failed Invalid Server Response".
I think the wording of the error message is mobile specific but anyway
ther seem to be some communication problems.
(I'm running on vodafone germany)

Regards,
Phillip

jaainc

Oct 13, 2006, 9:14:51 AM10/13/06
to Google Calendar Users
Thanks.
I have gotten around the receiving error once I disconnected my pda
from my laptop usb.

I did subsequently get all events to double both uploaded and
downloaded, but one time only?!?
And had the same problem as others with recurring events showing up
'today'.
I also had a "DB error" for a while but that went away on its own.

All is working well now.

Christoffa

Oct 13, 2006, 11:07:33 AM10/13/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Phillip,

This is a known issue, the SE K750i is a SyncML 1.2 device, we will add
1.2 device support in this months update.

I'll post again when updated.
Chris.

hammock

Oct 14, 2006, 7:48:23 AM10/14/06
to Google Calendar Users
Thank's for your fast answer and you work at all.
I'm awaiting the new version!

Andreas

Oct 15, 2006, 2:19:10 PM10/15/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Chris

I have just registered at your website GooSync.
However, I can not login with the password I entered.
When I use "Forgot Password" the system recognise my user name and puts
up right question.
After submitting the new password I still can't login.

/Andreas

Christoffa

Oct 16, 2006, 4:27:26 AM10/16/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Andreas,

Your account was locked out (due to too many failed passwords) I have
reset it.

Please re-try
Chris.

Andreas

Oct 16, 2006, 4:40:34 AM10/16/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Chris

Thanks, now I can login to the webpage.
But I most say that the page is not very informative.
There is no instructions how to get started.
Now when I have registered on the webpage, what am I suppose to do to
get my the confirmation sms from you?

I have a SE K610, and I know that it is not supported yet. I hope it
will be soon.

Cheers
/Andreas

Christoffa

Oct 16, 2006, 5:58:09 AM10/16/06
to Google Calendar Users
Hi Andreas,

You don't have to wait long, we are finalizing the code for SyncML 1.2
support and you will be able to sync your SE K610 soon, either this or
next week.

Keep you posted.

Chris.

Doug Weller

Nov 3, 2006, 9:08:43 AM11/3/06
to Google-Cal...@googlegroups.com
In theory my Nokia 6233 is setup now, I've entered my pin number. But
where do I find the Icon in the Nokia menu? I tried to sync from the
website and nothing happened.

Thanks
Doug