Google Ajax Feeds API Not Working for Reddit RSS Feed

Mike Smith

Jan 27, 2015, 9:29:44 PM1/27/15
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
I'm having trouble using the Google Ajax Feeds API for getting Reddit's RSS feed.

This works:

but it has stale data from several days ago.  I heard that you can put in some random characters to break the cache so I tried to use the "limit=10" querystring you can put in the reddit feed (ie. http://www.reddit.com/.rss?limit=10)

But when I try this (using encoding), it doesn't work and gives me an error (Feed could not be loaded):

What am I doing wrong?  I've been pulling my hair out for 2 hours.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Wet Coast Life

Jan 28, 2015, 10:05:53 AM1/28/15
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Same for me and only the Reddit feed seems to be an issue out of the 8 RSS feeds i check. Same issue occurred in the summer and eventually started working after a couple weeks and not much the end user can do to resolve this. Here's that thread: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/google-ajax-search-api/JqzRwR1Gmjo/discussion

Wet Coast Life

Jan 28, 2015, 2:13:38 PM1/28/15
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
quick update. My feed started working as of this comment with no changes on my part. Maybe yours is working now?

Mike Smith

Jan 29, 2015, 1:39:20 AM1/29/15
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update.  Yes, mine also started working again today.  I'd still love to know how I can send a cache busting random number using the reddit feed.

Jeremy Geerdes

Jan 29, 2015, 1:47:50 PM1/29/15
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
var feedUrl = 'http://www.domain.com/my/feed/url' + '?nocache=' + ((new Date).getTime());

Note that you would change the ? to an & if the URL already has a query string started.

jg

To view this message on the web, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-ajax-search-api/fda5ac3f-5515-493f-9169-d9579419c9af%40googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/google-ajax-search-api?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google AJAX APIs" group.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!