qps rate exceeeded

Leandro Brito

Jan 31, 2012, 12:35:36 PM1/31/12
to Google AJAX APIs
Hey guys,

I'm using the Google Feed API to read a RSS and a widget to show news.
Sometimes the message "qps rate exceeded" appears, I read about this
and seems related with quantity of requisitions.
I pretender to share the snippet of javascript for other users put my
widget in their sites, but this error can be a problem in future due
to the large amount of requests.

Is there any way to fix this?
Do you advise me not to use the API in this situation?

Thanks

Jeremy Geerdes

Feb 2, 2012, 11:00:09 AM2/2/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Without knowing exactly what your app is doing - or seeing how it does it - it's virtually impossible to offer advice. We don't even know what language you're writing your app in. That said, the simplest solution will probably be to make sure you don't submit so many requests.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

> --
> To view this message on the web, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-ajax-search-api?hl=en_US
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-ajax-search-api?hl=en?hl=en

Sam Blumhardt

Feb 2, 2012, 1:40:38 PM2/2/12
to Google AJAX APIs
I am running into this problem as well. I've recently implemented
Google Feed API on http://uifoundation.org and some users are
receiving the error "Error fetching feeds: qps rate exceeeded[sic]". I
haven't been able to recreate the error myself, but I understand it
has something to with the amount of requests being submitted per
second. Any tips on getting rid of the error?

If further information is needed, just let me know.

Chris Snelgrove

Feb 5, 2012, 11:57:11 AM2/5/12
to Google AJAX APIs
I'm also getting the same message as Leandro using the API in a
similar way for RSS consumption.

Obviously these limits are set for a reason but if we need to make
more requests what can we do?

Thanks
Chris

On Feb 2, 4:00 pm, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Without knowing exactly what your app is doing - or seeing how it does it - it's virtually impossible to offer advice. We don't even know what language you're writing your app in. That said, the simplest solution will probably be to make sure you don't submit so many requests.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:
> jrgeer...@gmail.com

Jeremy Geerdes

HW

Feb 6, 2012, 12:07:13 PM2/6/12
to Google AJAX APIs
I just started getting this message intermittently. I am using the RSS
feed API and Javascript (as suggested by Google documentation found
here: https://developers.google.com/feed/v1/devguide ) to display
Google calendar information in a list format. From what I can gather
from reading these forums, this warning is coming from the requests to
concerning geolocation. That would make sense if my feed from the
calendar includes the map information.

However, I am not looking for the map information from the calendar
specifically. Unfortunately, In order to get the information I need
from the calendar, I do need to request "full" data rather than the
abbreviated version (at least that was the case when I wrote my
scripts a few years ago). If there could be a way I can get the
description from the calendar without also requesting the mapping
information (which never appears in my display of the feed) that would
be wonderful and would probably stop this problem.

Thanks

PS: I'm liking Google less and less these days and many of the issues
I was afraid of arising through dependence on their cloud assets are
coming true. As I move forward, I will probably try to eliminate all
Google API and caching from my sites.

On Feb 6, 8:30 am, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you guys provide some more details about your application? Keep in mind that applications which make automated queries are against the TOS.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:

quandt

Feb 9, 2012, 2:01:59 PM2/9/12
to Google AJAX APIs
Same here! Just using the google feed api (ie just a instance placed
on a page which users can visit) and I'm getting qps rate exceeded.

My site get's maybe 50 users a day.

And yes, I've seen this problem myself when I visit my own page.

The code is cut/paste from google's own feed api example. The blog/
feed I'm pulling has less then 50 posts.

Adam Feldman

Feb 9, 2012, 10:36:06 PM2/9/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Can you provide a link to the webpage that you're calling the Feed API from?  I'd be glad to investigate why you're getting throttled.

Thanks,
Adam

dejavu lab

Feb 10, 2012, 11:42:28 AM2/10/12
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Adam,
You can see same problem here:
http://www.javu.info/cd/sandiego

Adam Feldman

Feb 10, 2012, 1:42:24 PM2/10/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Looking at that page, I don't see a problem.  I checked our logs of requests over the last few days and don't see a single request blocked for quota reasons.  The only requests that weren't filled were a handful (less than 2% of your queries) that were the result of a server error (which could have been caused by a few things).

Perhaps that error is being caused by another component of your page?  Can you tell me the exact error?  Also, setting up a simple demo page that has most of the content removed but demonstrates the error would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Adam

Randall

Feb 13, 2012, 2:49:14 PM2/13/12
to Google AJAX APIs
I have been struggling with this for a month or so now. I developed a
daily news display for a TV hanging in the main office of the UT main
office. It's coded to fit on a 1080p screen so it won't display
properly on your typical computer resolution.

I found that by decreasing the number of feeds the javascript calls
stopped the "qps rate limit exceeded" error message. I am using
vTicker to scroll through news and weather feeds. The ({ showItems:
10}); part is where it looks for the next 10 stories to display. I
found that it would continue to search for the next 10 items even
though the previous 10 hadn't scrolled completely through yet. Thereby
stacking an additional 10 items every time and causing the error. I
simply reduced the number from ({ showItems: 10}); to ({ showItems:
3});.

BEFORE:

<script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function () {

$('#ticker2').rssfeed('http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/sciencedaily?
format=xml',{}, function(e) {

$(e).find('div.rssBody').vTicker({ showItems: 10});

});

});

</script>

AFTER:

<script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function () {

$('#ticker2').rssfeed('http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/sciencedaily?
format=xml',{}, function(e) {

$(e).find('div.rssBody').vTicker({ showItems: 3});

});

});

</script>

On Feb 10, 12:42 pm, Adam Feldman <adam.feld...@google.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Randall

Feb 13, 2012, 3:01:04 PM2/13/12
to Google AJAX APIs
I forgot to include a link so here ya go... http://physiology.uthscsa.edu/tv/1/display1.htm

On Feb 13, 1:49 pm, Randall <arcie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been struggling with this for a month or so now. I developed a
> daily news display for a TV hanging in the main office of the UT main
> office. It's coded to fit on a 1080p screen so it won't display
> properly on your typical computer resolution.
>
> I found that by decreasing the number of feeds the javascript calls
> stopped  the "qps ratelimitexceeded" error message. I am using

Brian

Feb 14, 2012, 2:01:42 PM2/14/12
to Google AJAX APIs
I Just came across this thread but am having the exact same issues.
I'm pulling in feeds from a couple different locations on our website
and occasionally get the 'QPS Rate Exceeded' message.
In all cases we aren't pulling many feeds...on the home page we have
two locations pulling them, 1 is just pulling 1 feed (most recent) and
another location is pulling 4.
Is this too many?
The URL is:
http://www.ghx.com/

Thanks

On Feb 2, 9:00 am, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Without knowing exactly what your app is doing - or seeing how it does it - it's virtually impossible to offer advice. We don't even know what language you're writing your app in. That said, the simplest solution will probably be to make sure you don't submit so many requests.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:
> jrgeer...@gmail.com

Adam Feldman

Feb 14, 2012, 4:45:48 PM2/14/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

I'm not seeing any failed requests from your domain.  Can you please tell me the exact API request that you're making that fails, as well as the exact error message that you're getting back from Google?

Thanks,
Adam

James Spibey

Feb 15, 2012, 9:00:25 AM2/15/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
We're also getting the same problem at the domain http://www.floridastatecollegenetwork.com/

Randall

Feb 15, 2012, 10:21:26 AM2/15/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
I previously posted that reducing the number of feeds the API called will eliminate the error. However, it just postponed it. QPS rate exceeded is back and my boss is breathing down my neck! I think it's time to implement an alternative solution.

Adam Feldman

Feb 15, 2012, 1:54:16 PM2/15/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble, but I can't help any further without getting from you 1) the exact API request that is failing and 2) the exact error message you're receiving.

Thanks,
Adam

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Randall <arci...@gmail.com> wrote:
I previously posted that reducing the number of feeds the API called will eliminate the error. However, it just postponed it. QPS rate exceeded is back and my boss is breathing down my neck! I think it's time to implement an alternative solution.

To view this message on the web, visit

Randall

Feb 15, 2012, 2:46:39 PM2/15/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Previously, the only API I had on my site was <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/jsapi?key=ABQIAAAAjO8bRVY1hNYyw8a8t6xDnxQlIgb0d4e05RG3epjVbiPJuA83LhQN1SJc9XNzVYsbobsY6xDS_ge-VQ"></script>...

I read that the personal keys have become obsolete, so now I'm using:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>

and

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

The error message seems to popup at random, sometimes once or twice an hour. The error reads: Google Feed API Error: qps rate exceeded.

Brian

Feb 15, 2012, 2:51:45 PM2/15/12
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi Adam,
I was using the example given in the feed api documentation. I just
now pulled out the else statement that alerts any error retrieving the
feed:

----------------------------------
else //if error fetching feed, alert human readable error message
alert(result.error.message)
----------------------------------

I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about resolving this but
I'm hoping that if there is an error grabbing the feed, then removing
this will at least stop the error message from displaying to the user.
So if the feed doesn't pull in then at least there is no popup error
displaying to the users.

Adam Feldman

Feb 15, 2012, 3:02:49 PM2/15/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Randall -- From what you've included here, it looks like you're only using the Libraries API to load jquery.  Are you making calls to the Feed API?  If so, can you include the request that fails?  Preferably, can you point me towards a clean page that has only the API call on it, which reproduces the error consistently?

Everyone -- In general, the qps limits for the Feed API are very high.  If someone is getting an error occasionally, it may be because of rapid reloading.  If you're getting them more frequently, it could be due to a very large number of API requests on the page.  Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do at this time to increase quotas.  If you're able to create a page that demonstrates an error consistently, please send me a pointer and I'll investigate further.

Thanks,
Adam

To view this message on the web, visit

Randall

Feb 15, 2012, 3:09:24 PM2/15/12
to Google AJAX APIs
I've decided to go a different route in loading the feeds. I'm so busy
that I'll have to come back to this at a later date, but I definitely
appreciate your time an effort in getting this resolved!

On Feb 15, 2:02 pm, Adam Feldman <adam.feld...@google.com> wrote:
> Randall -- From what you've included here, it looks like you're only using
> the Libraries API to load jquery.  Are you making calls to the Feed API?
>  If so, can you include the request that fails?  Preferably, can you point
> me towards a clean page that has only the API call on it, which reproduces
> the error consistently?
>
> Everyone -- In general, the qps limits for the Feed API are very high.  If
> someone is getting an error occasionally, it may be because of rapid
> reloading.  If you're getting them more frequently, it could be due to a
> very large number of API requests on the page.  Unfortunately, there's
> nothing we can do at this time to increase quotas.  If you're able to
> create a page that demonstrates an error consistently, please send me a
> pointer and I'll investigate further.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Randall <arcie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Previously, the only API I had on my site was *<script
> > type="text/javascript" src="
> >http://www.google.com/jsapi?key=ABQIAAAAjO8bRVY1hNYyw8a8t6xDnxQlIgb0d...
> > "></script>*...
>
> > I read that the personal keys have become obsolete, so now I'm using:
>
> > *<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/jsapi
> > "></script>*
>
> > and
>
> > *<script type="text/javascript" src="
> >https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js
> > "></script>*

IHorowitz

Feb 16, 2012, 5:23:28 PM2/16/12
to Google AJAX APIs
In other circumstances I have see this error when making requests with
non-url encoded query string parameters. I don't know if that's a
possibility in this case.

dejavu lab

Feb 17, 2012, 9:33:55 AM2/17/12
to Google AJAX APIs
I do the same, i think maybe there is something concerning to API KEY,
or google server issues but google says everything it´s ok... i don´t
see a solution from them in a short time.
I recomend to explore other ways to implement. like this:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex17/rsspausescroller/index.htm

Kiamori

Feb 23, 2012, 5:01:09 PM2/23/12
to Google AJAX APIs
Check to make sure you do not have more than one referance to jquery
in your code. for instance you might have
<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/jquery-1.4.1.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/jquery-1.6.1.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/jquery-1.6.1.full.js"></
script>

you should replace all of this with just one.

dejavu lab

Feb 24, 2012, 11:22:27 AM2/24/12
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi,
We just have this 2:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/jsapi"></
script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="feed/jquery.min.js"></script>

Regards

Chris

Feb 24, 2012, 12:38:28 PM2/24/12
to Google AJAX APIs
Same issue here:

http://www.lpzooball.org
http://www.lpzoo.org
http://www.lpzoo.org/nature-boardwalk
http://www.lpzoo.org/animals
http://www.lpzoo.org/conservation-science/projects/gombe-field-research
http://www.lpzoo.org/conservation-science/projects/serengeti-health-initiative
http://www.lpzoo.org/conservation-science/projects/goualougo-triangle-ape-project

using a simple feed fetching script to display various RSS feeds on
our pages. I believe this script was cut and paste from an example on
google.

The pages do get a lot of traffic, had I known there would be a QPS
rate that I could exceed and make the pages feeds fail, I would never
have set this up to begin with. Is there a way to avoid this besides
"using it less?"

Mike

Feb 27, 2012, 2:02:58 PM2/27/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com, mic...@theeca.com
Hi Adam,

I have not seen this issue yet, but it has been reported by some of our readers as well as one of our editors, I am recieving the "Google Feed API Error: qps rate exceeeded" error when pulling an rss feed in the right-sidebar of our home page. The block is labeled News Ticker. We have been running this widget for 2+ years and have never received an issue until some point this weekend. Could you check the logs for domain: gamepolitics.com please?

Thank you for your time,
Mike

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM, quandt <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:
Same here!  Just using the google feed api (ie just a instance placed
on a page which users can visit) and I'm getting qps rate exceeded.

My site get's maybe 50 users a day.

And yes, I've seen this problem myself when I visit my own page.

The code is cut/paste from google's own feed api example.  The blog/
feed I'm pulling has less then 50 posts.

Adam Feldman

Feb 27, 2012, 2:17:49 PM2/27/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the help.  We've found the problem and are working on a fix.  I'll report back when it's taken care of.

Cheers,
Adam

Adam Feldman

Feb 27, 2012, 6:27:31 PM2/27/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Sorry for the delay.  This was a global issue, which explains why no individual sites got the message consistently.  It shouldn't reoccur.  If it does, please ping this thread.

Thanks to everyone who helped hunt this down, especially Jeremy and omr!

Thanks,
Adam

To view this message on the web, visit

quandt

Oct 16, 2012, 12:39:11 PM10/16/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Just got one again today (to myself, not reported to a user).   Site in question is:  www.thefatchick.com, analytics reports number of hits to be around 100 users between today and yesterday.   And yes, I'm using the exact same RSS sample feed code, loaded at will by users (no automation), and only one call to such item in the javascript.

This problem had disappeared for a while (ie per the note below....).
Adam

google-ajax...@googlegroups.com

To view this message on the web, visit

Adam Feldman

Oct 16, 2012, 8:19:46 PM10/16/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for pointing this out.  It looks like a fairly low error rate (fractional percent), but we'll try to make it even better.

Cheers,
Adam

To view this message on the web, visit

Adam Feldman

Oct 17, 2012, 2:06:54 PM10/17/12
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Any remaining errors should be eliminated today.  Please report back if you're still seeing this problem tomorrow.

Thanks,
Adam

Chris

Oct 20, 2013, 1:02:15 PM10/20/13
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com, leandro...@gmail.com
Please look at alternative api providers like - bing.com, http://www.dhoondho.com/search-solutions/

might help you, they give search results with no limitations (after paying of course)

Adel Shahin

Mar 22, 2016, 10:28:37 AM3/22/16
to Google AJAX APIs, adam.f...@google.com
Hi Adam,

I am currently getting this issue with this request:

It comes and goes. Would you be able to look into why it's happening again?
Adam

google-ajax...@googlegroups.com

To view this message on the web, visit

Jeremy Geerdes

Mar 22, 2016, 3:19:57 PM3/22/16
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
The reason you're seeing this error is because the News Search API has been deprecated for more than 4 years. The Web Search API, which was deprecated at the same time, was turned down nearly 18 months ago. In fact, when I saw your email, I was honestly surprised that you were getting any results at all!

I would strongly recommend finding an alternative news search source such as Faroo. Here's a link: http://www.faroo.com/hp/api/api.html

Adam

To view this message on the web, visit

To view this message on the web, visit
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google AJAX APIs" group.

Rev. Jeremy R. Geerdes, Pastor
Debra Heights Wesleyan Church
4025 Lower Beaver Rd
Des Moines, IA 50310