Disable External Email Images by Default Not Working for @fb.com Emails.

Anon

May 28, 2015, 9:25:11 AM5/28/15
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hello folks,

I recently received am email from a recruiter at @fb.com. When I opened the email, a big fat image at the bottom was displayed. I don't see an option to disable this. It's supposed to be off by default on all emails, not domain approved emails right? Under my settings I have the "Ask before displaying external images
" selected. Can someone please advise me on how to disable image tracking for this particular email?  Thanks!

Zack (Doc)

May 28, 2015, 9:36:41 AM5/28/15
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Did the instructions on this help page not match the text you saw?  https://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=145919  Sometimes the help pages lag behind interface changes, perhaps that's the issue you're seeing.

Anon

May 28, 2015, 1:40:29 PM5/28/15
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

| Under my settings I have the "Ask before displaying external images " selected

Yes, as I stated in my original message that method does not work. Nor is there an option on that email to enable or disable images. So Either gmail is allowing images from specific domains or facebook has found an image hack around gmails image filtering. Either way this need to be fixed.

Andy

May 28, 2015, 5:10:53 PM5/28/15
to [Gmail-Users]
If at some point in the past you clicked on "Always display images from" and the sender's address, they will be displayed anyway, without an option to ask you.  That is how it is supposed to work.

I could be wrong, but I find there are images and then there are images.  Some images seem to come through regardless, while others are blocked until I approve them.  Maybe it depends on the kind of image file, or whether the image is embedded in the message already or loaded from a website at the time you display the message.

Andy

Marko Vukovic

May 28, 2015, 11:17:08 PM5/28/15
to gmail-users

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Anon <macmic...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can someone please advise me on how to disable image tracking for this particular email?  Thanks!

My best guess would be that this was not an external image at all but rather an attachment to the original mulit-part email
​.​

--
Marko

Peter Vils Hansen

May 31, 2015, 11:02:04 AM5/31/15
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
That would be my initial thought also. Images may be embedded (base64-encoded) instead of linking to an image on an external site. Such images cannot be blocked the way you describe.

- Peter