Google Login

Diane

Aug 18, 2015, 11:16:06 PM8/18/15
to Gmail-Users
Hi again, Knowledgeable Ones:

If this group isn't the proper one for my question, please tell me which one is.  I note when I am asked to log into my Google account that the dots from a previous password are there.  Of course, I override those with my new and improved current password.  The change was made 3+ months ago.  Why don't the dots from my new password appear?  Is there a way to get rid of the previous?  If so, how?  Obviously, this isn't an urgent matter, and I am able to log in.  Just wondering.

~Diane

Andy

Aug 18, 2015, 11:30:00 PM8/18/15
to [Gmail-Users]
On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Diane <depf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi again, Knowledgeable Ones:

If this group isn't the proper one for my question, please tell me which one is.  I note when I am asked to log into my Google account that the dots from a previous password are there.  Of course, I override those with my new and improved current password.  The change was made 3+ months ago.  Why don't the dots from my new password appear?  Is there a way to get rid of the previous?  If so, how?  Obviously, this isn't an urgent matter, and I am able to log in.  Just wondering.

​If dots are there from a stored password, then you have your web browser set to store the password for you.

How you would change that, depends on which web browser you use.  Go into the web browser's Settings and look for one that affects Passwords.

In Chrome, there is a checkbox to "Offer to save your web passwords".  If you click "Manage Passwords", you can selectively clear previously stored passwords.

Andy

DEP/Dodo

Aug 19, 2015, 12:00:07 AM8/19/15
to Gmail Users
Thank you for the prompt reply, Andy.  I am very familiar with that section in Chrome settings.  Just went to it, and not one saved password came up!  I have used this capability and cannot figure this out!  Where did my saved passwords go?

~Diane

DEP/Dodo

Aug 19, 2015, 12:01:52 AM8/19/15
to Gmail Users
Just thought of something.  In the past week, I got an Android smartphone.  At the moment, it is smarter than I am.  But could that have had something to do with this unwelcome phenomenon?

~Diane

DEP/Dodo

Aug 19, 2015, 1:30:52 AM8/19/15
to Gmail Users
Since my last post, I recalled that I occasionally have had this experience before of no passwords showing.  Sure enough, I just tried again and this time all my passwords came up.  I don't understand, of course, why this is erratic.  Anyway, I did delete the old password.  I tested signing in a couple of times, and that field is now blank--which is fine with me.  But now I'm curious how the previous password's dots even got into that field.

Whether or not I ever learn that, thank you, Andy, for leading me to the solution.

~Diane

Jeff Grossman

Aug 19, 2015, 9:21:51 AM8/19/15
to Gmail Users
Diane,
No, the new smartphone should have nothing to do with your login on your computer.  That is strange that you have no saved passwords in Chrome.  Is Chrome the only browser you use?  When you login and have those dots why do you think it is your old password?  If you just click on login and do not type in a new password does it login you in?

Jeff

DEP/Dodo

Aug 19, 2015, 11:53:46 PM8/19/15
to Gmail Users
As you know by now, Jeff, the issue is moot, thanks to Andy.  (This group is so helpful!)  I soon realized on my own it was not related to the smartphone.  Also, the next time I went into my passwords in Chrome, there they were again.  I don't know why they sometimes temporarily disappear as long as it remains just that--temporary!

I guess I thought the dots represented my old password because I counted them, but now I am not so sure.

Sometimes I have to type in a password, sometimes not.  2SV, remember?!  However, still don't quite understand it.  I know it has to do with whether I've signed in or out, but I am not sure if that is always what's going on.  Can't explain right now and am not concerned since I know I have 2SV and now those dots are gone from my previous password or whatever they (the dots) were.

I am just beginning to return to normalcy from my compulsive "gotta learn it all" binge.  The smartphone is set up, for now, as much as it's going to be.  But I don't have much time to play with it during the week unless I keep sacrificing sleep.  I just hope that it's true what so many have told me--including you--that I'm gonna love it and wonder how I lived without it.

~Diane