Oops Error #008

jules

Jul 31, 2008, 11:52:26 AM7/31/08
to Gmail-Users
Ooops Error #008

I'm stumped! For the past couple of weeks Gmail refuses to send
certain attachments for me - PSD files (Photoshop). I have no problem
sending things like JPG, DOC, PDF etc. The issue appears to be solely
with PSD. I've tried all suggestions such as clearing cache, ensuring
file sizes are within limits, firewall, security, etc etc etc.

This is a sudden thing. I've been able to send these attachments since
I started using Gmail way back in 2005! There are no new installs,
everything is up to date and I've tried using both IE and Firefox, but
with the same results.

Any ideas?

p.s. I've also posted this on Google Community

Nick Chirchirillo

Jul 31, 2008, 1:12:11 PM7/31/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com

jules

Aug 2, 2008, 3:56:33 AM8/2/08
to Gmail-Users
Thanks for the suggestion Nick. That was the first thing I tried when
the issue first appeared. As I said in my opening post, I've tried
all suggestions to do with clearing cache, file size limits etc. None
of these worked.
> -Nick- Hide quoted text -

Zack (Doc)

Aug 2, 2008, 6:33:30 AM8/2/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
But you followed that troubleshooter all the way through and submitted
the bug report at the end right?!? So GMail knows about the problem
and can hopefully find and fix it.

I took that as the majority of Nick's answer. It's great that we all
learn the secret of clearing cache/cookies so we can troubleshoot our
own problems quicker, but we need to remember to follow the
troubleshooters if/when that doesn't work so we can get real GMail
troubles into the support team's hands.

--

William Feather - "One of the indictments of civilizations is that
happiness and intelligence are so rarely fou...

Richard Wise

Aug 3, 2008, 12:49:12 AM8/3/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I hav no idea what the troubleshooters are. I have not found a way to
communicate with Gmail. It is a wonderful email, but reporting what is
a problem is too hidden for me to find. I am open to any detailed
suggestions.

Zack (Doc)

Aug 3, 2008, 10:29:50 AM8/3/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
When you signed up to become a Beta tester, the two things you should
have immediately thought were: "I need to make suggestions for
improvements, and I need to submit bug reports". GMail makes both of
these easily available through their Help Center.

When you first click on Help, you get a new window (or tab depending
on browser and configuration) with the Help Center. The last link on
the right is the Suggestion Page (it's move a little over the years,
but is now there and VERY easy to find). The Bug Report can be a
little harder to find, but I suspect it's (a) to keep people from
reporting problems that are with their side, and (b) to help them
ensure they have good information. The best/only way to access a Bug
Report is through the Troubleshooter anymore. There used to be direct
links, but it was always a generic report. Now, when you follow the
Troubleshooter, it's often a specific link with some questions already
answered so they have a better idea of the problem. The
Troubleshooter is not a front page link, but if you follow many of the
topics in the Help Center that lead to problems there's a link at the
bottom of the topic. It's often a good idea to go through the topics
before reporting a problem, as you may find a note that indicates they
already know about your problem and have a fix, or have a fix in the
works. They may or may not need your report to help, but they'll tell
you that. For the impatient times, the front page of Help Center has
two blocks for "Troubleshooting" and "Recommended Articles", they
usually lead to a troubleshooter page pretty quickly. Lastly, the
search box at the top of the Help Center can lead to good articles
about your problem both in the Help Center and the GMail Help
Discussions, the official GMail supported group for problems.

--

Oscar Wilde - "The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on.
It is never any use to oneself."

Richard Wise

Aug 3, 2008, 11:44:26 PM8/3/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information. Since I never signed up to be a Beta
tester, that might explain why I don't get what you describe when I
click "help".

Zack (Doc)

Aug 4, 2008, 6:12:35 AM8/4/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Except that you did... GMail is a Beta Project, so anyone who has a
GMail account is a Beta Tester. This was explained the the first page
you agreed to under account creation. The one you click "I read and
agree".

Also the Help Center link leads to a static page, not based on who
clicked it, in fact it sets no cookies what-so-ever so it CAN'T know
who clicked it. The only possible difference you could see when you
click it is if you have your language set to something other than
"English(US)", my setting.

To make my description a little more detailed... When you're loaded
onto any GMail web page (http://mail.google.com/mail/), at the top
right of the page are 3-5 links (depending on browser and language
setting; whether labs exists, etc). The two from far right towards
left are: "Sign Out" and "Help". The Help link points to this page:
http://mail.google.com/support/?ctx=gmail&hl=en

That's the Help Center I refer to. If you can't get into your GMail
account because the problem is that, a standard Google Search gets you
the link as the top result:
http://www.google.com/search?q=gmail+help&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_en___US202

--

Samuel Johnson - "There will always be a part, and always a very
large part of every community, that have no c...