Stop Using First

141 wyświetleń

tg8...@gmail.com

nieprzeczytany,
19 lut 2014, 05:02:0119.02.2014
do friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm thinking of going to Thamkrabok in May or June of this year. My friends are a bit worried about me being with other addicts, especially in the first stages of detox. I have told them not to worry, because everyone who visits is supposed to be clean beforehand for at least a week, I think. (Right?) But they argue that obviously that would be difficult for most people to do, or else they wouldn't be coming in the first place...

So I'm wondering if they have any way to know and refuse people who aren't clean, or if they just take their word for it? Are there many cases of people being really ill, or violent, or anything else? (I really don't know much about detoxing from various drugs...) I would assume it's safe but my friends and family are more hesitant than myself.

Any other tips about what to bring (I've seen the suggested packing list) from people who have been there, are appreciated!
Thanks!

Audrey Delaney

nieprzeczytany,
21 lut 2014, 10:13:0421.02.2014
do friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com

Hi I am Audrey from Ireland and female,

Firstly for me it was the safest place to detox, not everyone is clean, I certainly got off the plane pumped up on valium etc.  I think a lot of people attending go cold turkey on arrival.  It is however physically recommended that you cut down as much as possible so you treatment is not so severe on the body and the heart.   When you get to the monastery you travel into it through trees and forests.  On check in and arrival everything is taken of you,( including passport) so in the Hay (the facility/compound part of Thamkrabok that patients stay) drugs are not accessible.

Anyone who was there when I went and have known since that have gone, are serious, as it is a hard core place so it is not getting have half minded people who are still using might find in normal luxury accommodation centres.  Nor do you have the sympathetic visitor as you are not allowed them.

You can’t even get a cup of coffee when I was there, so the chances of getting anything stronger are at the slimiest here than anywhere else I know.  As for violence etc, I think most people are going through their detox as best they can, apart from a narky shout with pain now and then, I found it has an atmosphere of love, brotherhood, sisterhood.  People find the core of themselves, I saw the core of my peers there,  everyone is dressed the same, stripped of their ego in a nice way and the comradeship and support from both the patients and monks and nuns is amazing.  I never experienced or saw anything against another inmate.  I did see one guy fight and try and escape and the monks and clients together caught him and although he fought, brought him down with pure love.  I witnessed a monk well able to handle himself in this situation and without violence though did restrain.  Everyone helped out and the chap was calmed and returned to complete his detox. I have seen as much in a secondary school without such a tactful response.    It was wonderful to see all like minded people pull together to help this man.  The last thing I worried about here was drugs or violence.  It was never an issue, you are searched and stripped at the door along with no visitors.  This is not an easy place but I have seen more commitment from the people going here than attending anywhere else.  Anyone doing this kind of detox, will not tolerate drugs in the compound themselves.  If any got in they would be exposed very quickly.  I have no knowledge of this happening.

My last piece of advice is do not listen to any negativity around your healing process and steps to be free of drugs only listen to those who support you.   I do not know of anyone who went to Thamkrabok who regrets it, many say it is traumatic but beautiful and only really see the benefits when they get home.  A number of x patients have gone back to visit and you cannot say that about other centres.  Good luck and it is a great place to come of drugs and take a step of the world for a while.  You cannot get that detachment from the world anywhere else.  It is helpful to know if you are male or female (females can be given separate tips) and what country you are from as people from your culture can certainly help you also.

With metta and sending you good vibes.  If you want this you will successfully do it.  It is down to your commitment not your want to do it.

Audrey

The OFFICIAL Thamkrabok Monastery website is http://www.wat-thamkrabok.org
INDEPENDENT information can be found at http://www.thamkrabok.net
BUDDHIST RECOVERY information can be found at http://www.5th-precept.org
HUNGRY GHOST RETREAT information can be found at http://www.HungryGhostRetreats.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Friends of Thamkrabok Monastery" group.

Odpowiedz wszystkim
Odpowiedz autorowi
Przekaż
Nowe wiadomości: 0