METTA : Loving kindness in Recovery

Vince Cullen

Oct 29, 2012, 2:32:20 PM10/29/12
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
There is some information and links on the Fifth Precept website about Metta or Loving-kindness.  Of course, Metta is not limited to those individuals in recovery... it is a practice for every.

For here, I can say that Metta or Loving-kindness is an unbounded friendliness and unconditional kindness to ourselves and others.

Early in my recovery I read Jack Kornfield's 'Path with Heart : A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life'.  The chapter on Loving-kindness knocked me sideways; I'd never read anything like it before. It was a completely alien concept - I was not just allowed to love and be kind to myself, I was positively encouraged!

I wasn't doing formal meditation practice at that time but I recited the lines - mostly just for myself - for a couple of years.

* May I be filled with Loving-kindness

* May I be well

* May I be peaceful and at ease

* May I be happy

I recited the phrases in bed, while waiting for a train, before difficult meetings and whenever I became aware that I was feeling 'down'. In time, I came across a translation of the Buddha's words on Loving-kindness and for me, this one single short discourse contains the whole of the path that leads to the end of suffering. You don't have to read the thousands of pages of ancient Buddhist texts, just print this out and read it every day!

For one who is skilled in working out their own well-being,
and who wishes to attain that state of perfect peace should act thus:

They should be able, honest and upright; gentle in speech, humble, not proud.
They should be contented, easily supportable, not overly busy, and simple in living.
They should be controlled in their senses, serene, prudent, courteous and enjoy solitude.
Also, they must refrain from any action for which the wise would find fault.

Let them cultivate these thoughts: May all be well, happy and peaceful.
Whatever living creatures there may be, without exception;
Weak or strong, short or tall, small, middle sized or large, visible or invisible;
Those living near or far, born or yet to be born;
May all beings be well, happy and peaceful.

Let no one deceive nor despise another in any way;
Let no one wish another harm in anger or frustration.
Just as a mother would protect her only child with her life, even so;
Let one cultivate unconditional loving-kindness towards all beings.
Let them radiate boundless loving-kindness towards the entire world,
Above, below and all across, unrestricted, with compassion for all.
Standing, walking, sitting or lying down, as long as they are awake,
Let them develop this mindfulness.

This, they say, is 'Noble Living' here and now.
Holding on to no wrong beliefs, being virtuous,
Endowed with insight and having overcome all selfish desires,
They are free from future sorrow.

As Buddha does say in the ancient Pali texts, "What the mind thinks and ponders becomes the inclination of the mind". Time and time again, Buddha asks us to practice Metta (Loving-kindness) in thought, word and action; in private and in public. There is no finer mindfulness.  It's a sort of 2,600-year old NLP.

Whenever, I have been doing some voluntary work with alcoholics and drug-addicts I always include the practice of Loving-kindness to sooth harsh thoughts and feelings and to heal self-loathing.

You can read a little more here : [http://www.5th-precept.org/html/metta_1.html ]

With Metta to All (there is no better mindfulness!).
Vince

(h)  01635-552665
(m) 07909-545380

www.5th-precept.org
www.TARA-detox.org
www.HungryGhostRetreats.org
_________________________________

As water falls from a lotus leaf
so sorrow drops from those
who are free of toxic craving.
__________________________________
The Buddha (DHAMMAPADA verse #336)

On 29 October 2012 08:59, Mo <bell...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Mo
ps what does Metta mean?

Mo

Oct 29, 2012, 5:12:32 PM10/29/12
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Such a little word for so much meaning!  Its going to take me a while to ponder these words, looks like I'll have to try and set aside an hour each day, have just had a wonderful thought!  I can ponder each sentence on my daily hour walking the dog on the beach!  These words are indeed alien in modern society, wouldnt this world be amazing if everyone tried to live their lives with Metta.  I like this word, it feels nice on the tongue and sounds full.  I wonder why this is the first time Ive ever heard of Metta, Im a voracious reader bute have never heard of it before. Im quite excited but a little afraid of Metta.  I too have found that addicts respond very well to kindness, its like they'll do their utmost to live up to your assumption that they are valuable people but just on the wrong road.  Once a heavy heroin user walked 6 miles to go fetch my eye medication when I was blind, he didnt want payment even though his body was screaming for more drugs, my thanks and belief in him were enough.  This is such a huge subject isnt it?  Metta. I wonder how I will perceive this when Ive digested it.
with Metta
Mo

Audrey Delaney

Oct 30, 2012, 11:26:48 AM10/30/12