Buddhist Recovery 'Sit-and-Share' Meetings

Vince

Sep 13, 2013, 5:18:19 AM9/13/13
to friends-of-tham...@googlegroups.com
Following your detox/treatment at Wat Thamkrabok and/or New Life Foundation you might appreciate some additional support?  The Fifth Precept Sangha was founded to provide such support and to help you take your Sajja "beyond Thamkrabok".

SAJJA  - A Buddhist Oriented Approach

There are many paths to and of recovery. Some are short term interventions, some are lifetime commitments.  Here is a Buddhist approach to recovery based on the following multidimensional practices.

Truth, Truthfulness and Commitment (Sacca & Sajja) : pain is inevitable - suffering is optional. The truth of the way things really are and our personal commitment to change.

Generosity (Dana) : the antidote to the selfishness of the ‘addict self’.  A generosity of heart and mind expressed in our thoughts, in our words, and in our actions.  Generosity gives rise to ethical living, to kindness, to the ability to forgive and to fellowship; it supports our meditation practice.

Ethics (Sila) : the aspiration to live fearlessly, harmlessly and skilfully through the Five Precepts using these gifts to prevent relapse and to reduce the harm in our own life and within our communities.

Loving-kindness (Metta) : the regular practice of loving-kindness meditation to lift our self-esteem and promote our well-being, and the well-being of all those around us.  We can in time expand our practice to include Compassion, Joy-Gladness and Equanimity.

Forgiveness (Khama) : the regular practice of forgiveness meditation to skilfully examine and let go of the past; healing our present and embracing our future - whatever it may hold.

Meditation & Mindfulness (Sati) : the practice of meditation of body, feelings and mind;  the cultivation of mindfulness to support and protect our recovery.

Admirable Friends & Fellowship (Kalyāna-mittatā) : we may join a support group or start our own 'Sit-and-Share' meeting. “Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the spiritual life.” (Buddha SN 45:2)

It is important to note that we do not have to be ‘a Buddhist’ to cultivate any of these qualities; nor to adapt or to adopt any of the principles discussed and meditation practices explored.  Recovering people of all faiths or none are welcome to explore a Buddhist-oriented approach to recovery from addictions and compulsions within this group.

Buddhist 'Sit-and-Share' Recovery Meetings

FIFTH PRECEPT SANGHA : Newbury, West Berkshire, England

BLACK MOUNTAIN GROUP : Belfast, Northern Ireland

GALWAY SIT-&-SHARE GROUP : Galway, Ireland

SILKY OAK ZEN COMMUNITY : Erina NSW, Australia

NEW LIFE SANGHA : Chiang Rai, Thailand

SCOTLAND : Fifth Precept Sangha

HEAVY METTA BUDDHIST RECOVERY GROUP : Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

FIFTH PRECEPT SANGHA : Virtual Recovery Meetings via Skype

 ---oooOooo---

A directory of international Buddhist Recovery Meetings can be found here.