VFPX -> GIT

Koen

Jun 8, 2017, 12:19:02 PM6/8/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi,
I suppose also the Thor project will move, or alreade has moved, to GIT, however I am not able to locate, Do we have an URL ?
Thanks,
Regards,
Koen

Eric Selje

Jun 8, 2017, 12:34:12 PM6/8/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Koen

Jun 11, 2017, 3:02:09 AM6/11/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Eric,
Thanks, however I am not able to find the install(ation) file, do you have an URL?
Regards,
Koen

Op donderdag 8 juni 2017 18:34:12 UTC+2 schreef Eric Selje:

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Koen <koen....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I suppose also the Thor project will move, or alreade has moved, to GIT, however I am not able to locate, Do we have an URL ?
Thanks,
Regards,
Koen

Koen Piller

Jun 11, 2017, 1:50:36 PM6/11/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Eric
Thanks a lot
Regards
Koen

Op zo 11 jun. 2017 om 09:02 schreef Koen <koen....@gmail.com>
--
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone

Eric Selje

Jun 12, 2017, 10:22:37 AM6/12/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen,

Click on the "Clone or Download" button
Inline image 1

Download and extract the zip, and run Thor.app to get it going.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Eric

Koen Piller

Jun 12, 2017, 11:55:27 AM6/12/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Eric,

It works fine, never knew that thor.git file was the thor.zip install file.
By the way where does 'git' stand for?
Regards,
Koen

Tore Bleken

Jun 12, 2017, 12:02:13 PM6/12/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Koen,

From Wikipedia:

The name "git" was given by Linus Torvalds when he wrote the very

first version. He described the tool as "the stupid content tracker"

and the name as (depending on your way):

- random three-letter combination that is pronounceable, and not

   actually used by any common UNIX command.  The fact that it is a

   mispronunciation of "get" may or may not be relevant.

- stupid. contemptible and despicable. simple. Take your pick from the

   dictionary of slang.

- "global information tracker": you're in a good mood, and it actually

   works for you. Angels sing, and a light suddenly fills the room.

- "g*dd*mn idiotic truckload of sh*t": when it breaks

Tore Bleken

Koen Piller

Jun 12, 2017, 12:53:22 PM6/12/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Tore,
Linus wasn't that the man responsible for Linux? And is Linux not the 'other'  Windows? Funny that the name Git was choosen for a 100% Windows project.
Anyhow what is in the name, as long as it works.
Thanks for the info.
Regards
Koen

Tore Bleken

Jun 12, 2017, 12:57:16 PM6/12/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Koen,

AFAIK, Git is a Linux system, but you can also access it from Windows and other platforms.

Tore Bleken

Jun 12, 2017, 4:44:32 PM6/12/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
"Git" is how some folks here in America pronounce "Get", often as part of the express "Git 'er done" which means "Quit making excuses and start working."

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with its name but I thought that might be interesting for some folks overseas.

Eric

Koen Piller

Jun 12, 2017, 5:14:29 PM6/12/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Eric
Well it is good to know however I dont understand why a zip file is renamed as a git.
Strange to know
Regards
Koen
Op ma 12 jun. 2017 om 22:44 schreef Eric Selje <eric....@gmail.com>
--
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone

Mike Potjer

Jun 26, 2017, 9:23:32 AM6/26/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi Koen,

Thor.git is NOT equal to the Thor.ZIP file you download.  Thor.git is not a file, but the name of the REPOSITORY where all the Thor code files and their version history are stored on GitHub.  Thor.git contains much more that what is actually being downloaded in the .ZIP file.  When you select the "Download ZIP" option, what you are doing is downloading the current version of all the project files in the git repository, for the selected branch, as a .ZIP file.

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer.

Koen Piller

Jun 26, 2017, 11:27:56 AM6/26/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi Mike,
Yes it makes things clearer. Just for your info I was mislead by the 'tooltip'  showed when you hoover over the download button.
Thanks for replying,
regards,
Koen