GDIPlus version

1 view

Koen

Mar 22, 2014, 6:05:55 AM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I noticed there is a version GDIPlus 1.21 (15/03/2013) available however my update screen in Thor only shows version 1.20. Any change this will be updated?

Regards,

Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 22, 2014, 8:27:13 AM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

Can you point me to the page where you see that?  I cannot find any reference to that version of GDI_PlusX.

Koen Piller

Mar 22, 2014, 10:13:37 AM3/22/14
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Regards,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 22, 2014, 10:23:22 AM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
The curious thing about that page is that it is not referred to on the VFPX home page nor on the home page for GDIPLUSX.

I see that there have been over 100 downloads, though.

Koen Piller

Mar 22, 2014, 10:41:18 AM3/22/14
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
Also it was there in Thor before..Inline afbeelding 1

Never mind just hope you will acknowledge this version in the next update please.
Also, still on my whish list, or has that meanwhile been honoured - a possibility to install components and apps in the my dedicated folder i/o the folders dedicated by Thor?
Best regards,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 22, 2014, 2:43:49 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

You said:

Also, still on my whish list, or has that meanwhile been honoured - a possibility to install components and apps in the my dedicated folder i/o the folders dedicated by Thor?

I have already addressed this issue.  Thor provides a plug-in for you ("AfterComponentInstall") that you can customize as you see fit to install components into your dedicated folder. This plug-in is called as part of "Check for Updates" for each component that you install.

There are many reasons this is all that will ever be done about this issue by Thor, including:
  1. There is no commonality in the files/folders that are downloaded for each component.  In effect, then, there would have to be a special case for each.
  2. From one release to another, the folder structure may in fact change, so that it is not possible to be sure where the files within that component will be found.
  3. Each developer will have different needs as to which files are to be installed from a particular component.
  4. Each developer will have different needs as well as to where these files are to be installed (perhaps, even, multiple locations)
All in all, there is way too much here to expect Thor to provide an automated mechanism for you.  In fact, even if it did, you would still have considerable work to do to get it to work (specifying which files you were interested in and where they go.)

I must note here that Thor "Check For Updates" is a remarkably lean application, and integrating such code that would have to be specific both to each component and then configurable to each user goes way outside of its design.

However, if you would like to write such an enhancement for Thor and provide it to the community as an add-on to Thor, I would be happy to add it to the Thor Repository.

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Koen Piller <koen....@gmail.com> wrote:
Jim,
Also it was there in Thor before..Inline afbeelding 1

Never mind just hope you will acknowledge this version in the next update please.
Also, still on my whish list, or has that meanwhile been honoured - a possibility to install components and apps in the my dedicated folder i/o the folders dedicated by Thor?
Best regards,
Koen

Andrew

Mar 22, 2014, 4:25:34 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Jim

I think Koen has raised this from the thread I re raised on Foxite yesterday.
"GdiPlusX new planned version", Thread ID: 373185

I brought it up as I had been having problems with VFPPaint and found the year old thread.

Frankly I am in the dark how VFPX is run/maintained as I see projects on VFPX not even started and some not on here that I would have thought should.

eg Cesar, one of the most prolific contributors to VFP yet one of the most popular tools he has written Foxypreviewer or VFPpaint for that matter NOT on VFPX?

Reading the above Foxite thread, Bo Durban is the Project Manager of GDIPlusX yet it seems to be stalled due this fact that he is not around,Yet Cesar seems to be maintaining it on the side? and no releases nor test releases?

quote "and we need to wait for his evaluation till he turns this release as "official". This was over a year ago

Can you add any comments to clarify some of these questions?

regards

Andrew

Jim Nelson

Mar 22, 2014, 4:35:09 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Andrew --

I think your quote

quote "and we need to wait for his evaluation till he turns this release as "official"
... explains why Thor is still showing release 1.20.

As for FoxyPreviewer and VFPpaint, they are not on VFPX due to conflicts with the licensing guidelines for VFPX.

They could, however, be distributed by Thor, I think, altho I have to wonder if THAT would conflict with the same guidelines.

Koen Piller

Mar 22, 2014, 4:46:54 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Jim
As far as this point on my whishlist. I have looked some time ago on both the Aftercomponentsinstall and its counterpart beforecomponentsinstall realized it requires an intensive study of the thorapplication to make the by me wanted changement. I think the best and easiest would be to make use of a keeptrack.dbf in which one can administrate where the different downloaded applications are stored instead of the now used cursor.
Are you going to implent gdiplus121 in Thor updates?
Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 22, 2014, 5:22:28 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
See notes below

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Koen Piller <koen....@gmail.com> wrote:
Jim
As far as this point on my whishlist. I have looked some time ago on both the Aftercomponentsinstall and its counterpart beforecomponentsinstall realized it requires an intensive study of the thorapplication to make the by me wanted changement. Actually, all the information you need is passed in as parameters; you don't need to know anything about how Thor actually does the installation.  The first parameter is the name of the component just installed; the second is the name of the folder where it was installed. It's up to you to handle it from there.

I think the best and easiest would be to make use of a keeptrack.dbf in which one can administrate where the different downloaded applications are stored instead of the now used cursor.
That sounds like a reasonable enough approach; you can choose to do this anyway you need to. There is no reason for you to have interest in the cursor Thor has open at that time.

Are you going to implent gdiplus121 in Thor updates?  Yes -- but only after it has been confirmed as the correct public version (whether by Cesar or Bo).  At that time I would expect to see corresponding updates to the VFPX home page and the GDIPLUSX home page.

Andrew

Mar 22, 2014, 5:36:19 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Well that sounds like GDIPlus 1.21 is never going to happen. I have never seen Bo Durban around any site for years. Tried to get in touch with him several times over several years regarding MoxieObjects. No reply's.

He's gone. So how does the project continue if the only person can make it 'official'  no longer can or is no longer willing? (and yet others are)

Is this the License(http://vfpx.codeplex.com/license)? I am not a lawyer, I see no conflict.

How does FoxCharts differ from FoxyPreviewer (let alone some of the other projects on VFPX eg ) according to 'licensing guidelines' for VFPX?

I am not trying to confuse the Thor project or put you on the spot  but VFPX is starting to sound a little disappointing.It is obviously not maintained (eg fxReports and others) and now I know it has silly rules that do not make any sense whatsoever.

Koen Piller

Mar 22, 2014, 5:50:58 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
There are other beta applications which are monitored by Thor.

Jim Nelson

Mar 22, 2014, 5:52:59 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Andrew --

I suggest you calm down a bit.

I am not sure of the GDIPLUSX project, but if Bo is no longer available (I do not know that to be true), then there may be others who can take over support of it.

I find your comment about "silly rules that do not make any sense" to be a little extreme.  Unless you have specific knowledge of how VFPX was created, what the licensing guidelines are, and how they apply to particular projects, you really can't have any idea why those projects can't be supported there. And would be the issue, anyway, if they are supported elsewhere?

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 3:05 AM, Koen <koen....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I noticed there is a version GDIPlus 1.21 (15/03/2013) available however my update screen in Thor only shows version 1.20. Any change this will be updated?

Regards,

Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 22, 2014, 5:54:47 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
True enough -- although, it's not even clear if this is a Beta.

Beyond that, it has taken more than a year for anybody to notice. And it's certainly easy enough for you to download yourself.  I feel no need for urgency on this issue.

Andrew

Mar 22, 2014, 6:11:16 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if I sounded animated, not the case.Obviously I am on the outside looking in and still in the dark with regards to licensing guidelines.

Is there a committee somewhere?

I have read this

http://vfpx.codeplex.com/license

How do I find 'specific knowledge of how VFPX was created, what the licensing guidelines are, and how they apply to particular projects' ?

Andrew --

I suggest you calm down a bit.

I am not sure of the GDIPLUSX project, but if Bo is no longer available (I do not know that to be true), then there may be others who can take over support of it.

I find your comment about "silly rules that do not make any sense" to be a little extreme.  Unless you have , you really can't have any idea why those projects can't be supported there. And would be the issue, anyway, if they are supported elsewhere?

Rick Schummer

Mar 22, 2014, 6:21:34 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Jim and Andrew,

FoxyPreviewer does not violate the VFPX license. It has a different open source license. Not everything has to be included in VFPX. The reason FoxyPreviewer is not part of VFPX is Cesar recognized it violates the third-party community competition rule (XFRX) for acceptance. This is separate from the licensing. Cesar recognized the issue and never submitted knowing we would have to reject it. I don’t see this as an issue for VFPPaint, nor do I recall it ever being submitted. As for FoxCharts, I don't know of a VFP specific commercial solution for charting, thus it does not violate the rule.

As to the comments that Bo Durban is gone: that is complete nonsense. He is certainly busy, but definitely not gone. I asked him about the GDIPlusX v1.21 beta and he said he was not involved with it. I would not be surprised if this one was one of Cesar's pet projects.

Jim Nelson

Mar 22, 2014, 6:24:33 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Rick --

Thanks for the clarification on all these issues.

I hope to have FoxyPreviewer available from Thor when I am able to find the time to do so.

Andrew

Mar 22, 2014, 6:58:25 PM3/22/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Rick

Thank you for your response. It does explain the commercially available 3rd party competition rule.

I am not sure about the 'one of Cesar's pet projects' comment as I thought he was one of the main contributors/authors (just from my reading threads) and therefore would be able to publish changes.

Just out of interest and to avoid future confusion . Where are the rules? and Who are 'we'?

Koen

Mar 23, 2014, 5:41:04 AM3/23/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

what a confusion about a beta upgrade.

As far as I can see it the situation is like this:
on March 19, 2013 or before, Cesar published on VFPX a beta update on GDIPlus1.20, he gave this update number 1.21 to make it different to the previous version. Cesar indidacted clearly what all he had changed on in this Beta version and rushed also a copy to Bo. F.y.i. please read on Foxite Thread ID: 373185. The beta changements are certainly not a pet product from Cesar, they include fixes come from: Christian Ehlscheidt, yourselve, Rick Schummer, Martina Jindrova, MReigler, Daveaswj and Cesar Chalom.
At that time or a few days later the Beta 1.21 was taken into the Thor update's - see screenshot by Bernard in that same message.
Today, for undisclosed specific reasons, the Beta is no longer part of the Thor update routine.
Now I raised a simple question to Jim why this is done.

In case Bo replies 'he does not know about this version 1.21, than maybe it is time for him to check it now?

Regards,

Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 23, 2014, 10:27:08 AM3/23/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

Version 1.21 of GDIPLusX was available using "Check For Updates" for only about a week.  It was removed on March 23, 2013 (Yup, exactly a year ago today).

I announced its removal to this Thor forum, based on questions/comments from Bernard about it. My reasoning was the same then as it is now -- the VFPX home page and GDIPUSX home pages do not refer to it.

Koen

Mar 24, 2014, 2:37:38 AM3/24/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Thanks for sharing your opinion on this with me.

Do you have meanwhile also dropped the thought to construct an other way to administrate the surveyed projects by Thor? If not you could also consider to implent an option for users to survey a project which is not by default in Thor update-cursor?
In case you require I am offering a hand to construct such a thing in the way I described you in one of the earlier messages on this thread.

Regards,

Koen

Koen Piller

Mar 24, 2014, 5:13:54 AM3/24/14
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2014, 8:48:42 AM3/24/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

GDILPLUSX Beta 1.21 is now available in Thor.

At this time, I do not see how I can share with administration of projects that are seen in "Check For Updates", nor do I see the need to.

Koen

Mar 24, 2014, 10:51:07 AM3/24/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Jim hi,

Thanks for updating the CheckForUpdates.SCX now with GDIPlus1.21.

About my other mark on my whish-list, any change this will be effected?

Regards,

Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2014, 10:53:31 AM3/24/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
What other mark are on your wish list are you referring to?

Koen Piller

Mar 24, 2014, 11:25:48 AM3/24/14
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi,
To have a user defined directory(ies) defined where the individual app's or components will be installed.

Besides, I think it was a good decission to have FoxyPreviewer now also available. Sooo many users of this application and so many updates, now people are able to get the latest version easier and dont have to wonder if you have the latest.

Regards,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2014, 11:33:50 AM3/24/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

We have already had this discussion; I answered your request, in detail, you asked again, and I responded.  Please review those message.

You have all the information you need to be able to handle this yourself.

Here's my original response:

Koen --

You said:

[...]

Koen Piller

Mar 24, 2014, 12:52:09 PM3/24/14
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
did I not respond to you that I had looked already at both Before and After componentsinstall.prg? Your 1,2,3,4 is not what I am looking for, I am looking for a table, not a cursor, which administrates the directory(ies) where the downloaded app's / components or programs are installed and more specificaly I would like to have control over that table, in other words I want to be able to install where I want them to be installed. Something like the functionality you can observe in the Filelocations Page of the native Options page.
To make this one should 'break open' different Thor functionalities and not, in my opinion, the Before or After componentsinstall, mainly also because you will have to change the functionality to scan the different webpages where the Components have the installation.zip's available.
Regards,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2014, 1:02:23 PM3/24/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

My message (below) explained to you why this is too intricate a problem for me to provide a general solution.  Don't bother to ask about this being down automatically again -- it is not going to happen.

Your description of what you want is something you are going to have to program yourself.  It will be peculiar to your own circumstances.

And the proper place for you to handle this is in the plug-in for AfterComponentStall, as noted earlier. If you think that the solution that works for you is to build a table that tells you where files are to be copied, that is the place where you should access and use that table.

I suggest you create the plug-in, put a stop near the top, and then install a component.  The plug-in will be called with (a) the name of the component and (b) the folder where the component was just installed.

You can then modify it as necessary to copy whatever files you are interested in to whereever you want them installed.

However, let me repeat, and emphatically so -- there will be no general solution in Thor for this. You will have to do it yourself.

Koen Piller

Mar 24, 2014, 1:18:49 PM3/24/14
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,

Thanks. Noted
Best regards,
Koen

Rick Schummer

Apr 1, 2014, 10:31:46 PM4/1/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Andrew,

Sorry for the delayed response, but busy these days juggling many objects.

The “we” are the administrators of VFPX (Craig Boyd, Doug Hennig, Jim Nelson, and myself), and the rules are the guiding principles that help the administrators determine if a proposed project is accepted. All of this is detailed in chapter one of the book: VFPX: Open Source Treasure for the VFP Developer available from dFPUG (yes, a shameless plug).

·         Projects can be new or existing projects that include all of the source code.

·         Project must not be encumbered by copyrights, trademarks, patents, and the like that keep it from being shared under the shared source license that governs SednaX. In short, SednaX projects must be open source and Visual FoxPro developers must be freely able to download the project and freely able to enhance it as a part of SednaX.

·         Project must not be doing something illegal, or be involved in illegal activities.

·         Projects that compete with any third-party product in the FoxPro Community are not going to be accepted.

·         SednaX reserves the right to accept or reject any project for any reason. Not all projects will be accepted even if they meet the guidelines that have been laid out here. Project rejection is not in any way a remark by SednaX on the worthiness of a project or its value to the Visual FoxPro Community.

·         SednaX neither endorses nor opposes any other Visual FoxPro open source projects or Visual FoxPro commercial products. While commercial entities interested in Visual FoxPro’s future may donate time or resources to SednaX and receive honorable mention for their help, SednaX has absolutely no opinions on the suitability of a particular product or service for any purpose.

SednaX is the name of VFPX before the community changed it. So replace SednaX with VFPX above.

Rick

Koen Piller

Apr 2, 2014, 2:16:17 AM4/2/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
That explains thanks.
Now on the risk you will find me an intregrant, when will /who will declare GDIPlus1.21 solid and not Beta anymore? Presently we now have only the Beta listed in the Thor updates the production version is gone :(
Regards
Koen

Bernard Bout

Apr 2, 2014, 4:22:38 AM4/2/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
That can only be the project owner - Bo. AFAIK, I had looked at the code and a number of functions are not implemented and some do not work as expected. It may never go out of Beta.

Any what you use it for is what counts.

Sent from Windows Mail

Koen

Apr 2, 2014, 12:11:57 PM4/2/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernard,

would you be able to pinpoint exactly what i) does not work and ii) what is not implented?

Regards,

Koen

Rick Schummer

Apr 2, 2014, 10:04:11 PM4/2/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Koen,

Bernard is right, the releases are controlled by the project manager or designated team member. I know Cesar and Bo have worked together on this project so one or the other might release it. If it needs work you should post issues on the issue tracker and send an email to the team to give them a heads up. One suggestion. Provide reproducible steps to reveal the problem(s). Second suggestion, offer to help out. Be part of the solution.

As for the Thor updates, I am not sure what you are seeing, but I see GDIPlusX and GDIPlusX Beta in the list. The beta shows up higher in the list because it is classified as a New Project.

Rick

Bernard Bout

Apr 2, 2014, 10:31:13 PM4/2/14
to foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Koen

No I would not be able to do that. In v1.20 I found some errors especially in the GDI+ Region functions for which I sent the corrections to Cesar and Bo. I have no idea whether they have been incorporated into 1.21.

All one needs to do is to open the source code provided and then you can see which functions are implemented and which are not as Bo has provided copious comments. As for those that are implemented, as to their correctness,  I can only vouch for the ones I have used.

Bernard

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 09:11:57 -0700
From: koen....@gmail.com

To: FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: {Thor} GDIPlus version

Koen

Apr 3, 2014, 3:38:32 AM4/3/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Rick,
Thanks for explication, I will follow your suggestion. Indeed now both the GDIPlus versions are listed in the list. Thanks Jim!
Regards,
Koen

Koen

Apr 3, 2014, 3:46:17 AM4/3/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernard,
Your previous answer gave me the wrong impression there are functions or errors in the 1.21 versions which where new and not shown in 1.20, now I must understand that to your opinion there are issues in 1.20 which are still outstanding in 1.21. On the other hand some flaws in 1.20 are indeed corrected in 1.21. I will follow Dough's advise to find a solution to solve all the outstanding issues known in 1.20.
Regards,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Apr 3, 2014, 11:17:24 AM4/3/14
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

Both production and beta GDIPlus versions have been available in Thor since March 24.

Koen Piller

Apr 3, 2014, 11:18:59 AM4/3/14
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,

Thanks I meanwhile noted.

Regards,

Koen

Cesar VFPImaging

Jun 16, 2016, 11:51:52 PM6/16/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hello fellows

I'm truly very disappointed with what I read in this discussion.
The vast majority of the persons who participated in this discussion have all my contacts and would have been able to contact me easilly.

GdiPlusX v1.21 is STABLE
And can be downloaded from this link:

I applied several fixes and a few enhancements.
The fixes are all documented in the release page.

The samples project was updated as well.

Me and Bo worked in partnership, and HE is the project manager. So, it is my obligation to submit my changes to him.
We talked a little when I released that version, and he told me he'd try to check it and also add some new features he was planning. Bo has great ideas to this project, but unfortunately, he did not go further.

Back to the 1.21 version:
It has several fixes and some new features.
I've been working with it for years, and definitely it's the best version we have of GdiPlusX

More info here:

Regards

Cesar