Schema Comparison Tool

Eric Selje

Nov 17, 2015, 12:22:00 PM11/17/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Before I recreate a wheel, is there a Thor tool that can compare either DBCs or a directory of free tables and show the differences in the schemas between the two?

Eric

Todd Landrum

Nov 17, 2015, 12:35:26 PM11/17/15
to Thor Google Group
I don't know about Thor but you could do it with dbSchema. I've been using it on SQL, don't know how well it works with Foxpro.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Eric Selje <eric....@gmail.com> wrote:
Before I recreate a wheel, is there a Thor tool that can compare either DBCs or a directory of free tables and show the differences in the schemas between the two?

Eric

Jim

Nov 17, 2015, 1:16:23 PM11/17/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
No I don't think there is.

But, as always, that would be a welcome addition if you were willing to invest the time in it.

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Potjer

Nov 17, 2015, 1:27:00 PM11/17/15
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi Eric,

You might want to try the FoxBin2Prg 1.19.46 preview.  It includes a new utility FB2P_Diff.EXE.  You can use that to select 2 VFP binaries, such as 2 .DBC or 2 .DBF files, then the utility generates text files for the two files, and loads the results into whatever file diff app you configure for the tool.  I believe that whatever FoxBin2Prg.CFG file applies to the files being compared needs to allow text generation for those files.  Sounds like that should do what you need.

Mike

Eric Selje

Nov 17, 2015, 3:10:15 PM11/17/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike, I will check it out. My immediate need is two directories full of free tables rather than DBCs, but I was thinking if I wrote a tool it would do DBC too and then load them up in Beyond Compare. Frank's VFP2Text plug-in for Beyond Compare is almost what I need, but I just want to compare schemas, not data, and again, a directory full of free tables (though I suppose I could add them to a DBC temporarily...yeah that's smart...thanks for talking me through this!)

Eric

Eric Selje

Nov 17, 2015, 4:44:41 PM11/17/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
I checked out dbSchema, but I don't see dbf support. :/

Todd Landrum

Nov 17, 2015, 4:50:49 PM11/17/15
to Thor Google Group
I haven't tried it yet - but you had to download and install a jdbc driver for VFP to work in dbSchema. Sorry, I only know what Tuvia told me in Gilbert.

Rick Schummer

Nov 17, 2015, 6:19:12 PM11/17/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Eric,

If you are using SDT, I have a tool that will compare two sets of metadata, which should give you what you are looking for and probably a lot more than you asked for. J

http://www.whitelightcomputing.com/proddbcxcompare.htm

Rick

Mike Potjer

Nov 17, 2015, 7:08:08 PM11/17/15
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Glad I could help talk you through that. :-)  BTW, the default config setting for FoxBin2Prg is to only generate text for the structures of .DBF files, not the data, so you wouldn't need to add them to a .DBC first.

Eric Selje

Nov 18, 2015, 6:45:49 PM11/18/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
I feel like an entire SWFox Session could be devoted to SDT and its addons. :)