IntellisenseX and activex problem

1 view

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 7:55:07 AM12/4/12
to foxpr...@googlegroups.com
When IntellisenseX is running, I notice that far from all PEMs for ActiveX controls are shown. For instance

m.loX = Createobject([excel.application])
m.loX.v should show for instance Visible, but it's not. Am I missing something (again)?

Tore Bleken
to...@bleken.no

winmail.dat

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 8:02:28 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Update:

It looks like IntellisenseX is not able to handle enough PEMs. When I type m.lox. and press Down, I get an error, “String is too long to fit.”

Tore Bleken

to...@bleken.no

Luis Maria Guayan

Dec 4, 2012, 9:45:12 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
For this you must do:

Local loX as "Excel.Application"
m.loX = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
m.loX.v ....

Luis María Guayán
Tucumán, Argentina
_________________________
http://www.PortalFox.com
Nada corre como un zorro
_________________________

Jim Nelson

Dec 4, 2012, 9:45:34 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore --

Apparently, AMembers() can return some interesting (and unexpected) results for ActiveX controls.

I'll put this on my ER list.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 9:47:19 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Luis,

Please observe that this error occurs with IntellisenseX, not with normal Intellisense.

NB! I didn’t include the Local declaration, since it’s irrelevant in this case.

Tore Bleken

Norway

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 9:48:59 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

That’s good. Luckily this is just a little project, so I can live with it. But it was rally a pain until I turned off IntellisenseX.

Tore Bleken

Norway

Jim Nelson

Dec 4, 2012, 9:51:02 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Looks like an easy fix. Look for it in next update.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 9:53:06 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Thanks in advance.

Jim Nelson

Dec 4, 2012, 9:54:26 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore --

Please tell me more, now and any time that you get an error.

If this error occurred in IntellisenseX, it should be in a PRG.  Please give me a snapshot of the debugger showing the code with the error as well as the execution stack.

And I ask you to do so whenever you get an error, as it makes it so much easier to tell what is going on.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 10:03:26 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

Since you answered so quickly, I thought you were able to reproduce the error. I am just about to close my laptop for a few hours, so I would be glad if spent a few seconds and tested it yourself. Try this in the command window:

lo=Createobject('excel.application')

lo.

When you press the dot, you should be able to type VISIBLE, but that property is, well, not visible, along with many more. And try to press Down, and you will see a crash.

Please give me a quick feedback if you need more, and I will send it later today.

Tore Bleken

Norway

Dec 4, 2012, 10:42:25 AM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore --

There's a little confusion between messages here.

My first response to you today was about the problem with IntellisenseX omitting many of the PEMs from ActiveX objects. I said to look for a fix for that in the next update,

My second response was to your other message in which you said:

When I type m.lox. and press Down, I get an error, “String is too long to fit.”

In this case, when you get a hard bug, I always ask that you provide me  a snapshot of the debugger showing the code with the error as well as the execution stack.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 1:06:06 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

My stomach feeling is that the two bugs I describe, have the same root. May I ask you to do the simple test I showed you, which will show both errors? The first will ignore among other the visible property, and the other will cause IntellisenseX to crash by showing the error “String is too long to fit. If you are able to reproduce, it should also be easier to debug, right?

Lo=createobject(‘excel.application’)

Lo.v && should show many more PEMs, for instance Visible.

Lo. + Down: will show “String too short to fit” after a few screens, on my machine the last PEM shown is Inputbox.

If you are not able to reproduce, I will supply any information you ask for.

Tore Bleken

Norway

Dec 4, 2012, 1:24:38 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com, FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore.

While it is true that I may be able to reproduce your error, the best way to notify me of a bug in any of the Thor tools is to include a description of the steps you have taken AND the screenshot of the code where the error occurs and the execution stack.

You should not count on me being able to reproduce the error; many errors that I have to fix happen because of differing environments and cannot be reproduced. (One of my challenges)

Sent from my iPhone

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 3:31:16 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

The «crash» happens both in a prg and in the command window. When I suspend after the “String is too long…” error, this is what I see in the debugger. Steps to reproduce:

1.       IntellisenseX is active

2.       First line: lo=createobject(‘excel.application’)

3.       Type lo. and press DownArrow, a few times

Vennlig hilsen

Tore Bleken

to...@bleken.no

Dec 4, 2012, 3:39:13 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Tore --

Wow.  You have not indeed given me the screenshots I had hoped to receive -- and they tell me nothing.

I am able to reproduce the error, however, and my listbox looks like the image below.  Does yours stop at the same place?

Inline image 1

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

image.png
image001.png

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 3:46:24 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

I sent what I saw in the debugger AFTER I first press OK to the messagebox and then suspended the program. Anyway, I’m “glad” that you also saw the same behavior. And no, my list is a little shorter than yours.

This is my list, I notice that your list includes a lot of PEMs which are not in mine.

Just keep asking for more info, I will sit her for a least an hour.

Tore Bleken

Norway

Jim Nelson

Dec 4, 2012, 3:53:13 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
The items in the list are not important here (although they are related to the other problem, which I have now fixed locally)/

It appears that the problem has to do with the length of one of the things in the second column.  That is an array,
and it appears that there must be a limit of 250 characters or so that can be displayed.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

image002.png
image004.png
image003.png

Jim Nelson

Dec 4, 2012, 3:55:44 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
By the way, you don't use the partial match feature of IntellisenseX to type in part of the name, reducing the list?

I would never have found this problem myself, as I can't see I remember the last time I paged down through a list like this.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Tore Bleken <to...@bleken.no> wrote:
image001.png

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 3:58:30 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

Yes, I do. I also wouldn’t have found this problem if it wasn’t for the fact that the partial match didn’t find Visible when I typed Vi. So I wanted to scroll down, and boom.

Tore Bleken

Norway

Jim Nelson

Dec 4, 2012, 3:59:49 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Both now fixed for next update.

Each was a fix to only one line of code.  As always, the trick is to find that one line ....

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

image001.png

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 4:04:11 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

No, the trick is to do it right from the beginning. J

Thanks, a look forward to have the fixed version.

Jim Nelson

Dec 4, 2012, 4:06:30 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Oh, well, you see, unlike you, I have occasion to re-visit my code from time to time.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

image001.png

Tore Bleken

Dec 4, 2012, 4:09:16 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

I have no problem confessing that I don’t do it right the first time myself. It’s human to err, and I am very human.

Jim Nelson

Dec 4, 2012, 4:10:28 PM12/4/12
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
My work provides overwhelming evidence of my humanity, then.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

image001.png

Thierry Nivelet

Aug 11, 2016, 9:30:03 AM8/11/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi Jim,

I have the same 'String is too long to fit' issue with V 1.21 (11/21/2014).

In the source code I could not find any workaround this 250 limitation.

Interested in a detailed report?

thn

Jim Nelson

Aug 11, 2016, 9:36:00 AM8/11/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Groan.

I had hoped to never look through that code again.

And --- I thought I had corrected that, anyway.  I am certain that the list is populated one item at a time, so inserting LEFT(250) at the right place would cure it, I think ... ah, but finding the right place is the trick, isn't it!