Bug in GoFish 5.0.156

1 view

Mike Potjer

Oct 24, 2016, 10:56:40 AM10/24/16
to GoFish, the Tool Manager for FoxPro Thor
Hi Jim,

I'm getting a "String is too long to fit" error in the code shown in the screenshot below.  The Caption property is limited to 255 characters, but the assembled string in this case is longer than that.  Part of the problem is that the lcMethod variable in this example is being assembled in a way that duplicates part of the object path, making the resulting value considerably larger than it needs to be (see the highlighted section of lcMethod in the screenshot).  Since the error is in a Refresh(), I can't just ignore it to move past the error, but have to cancel GF.  If you need more information, please let me know.  I could probably put together a simple example to reproduce the problem as well, if you need it.

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Nelson

Oct 24, 2016, 11:26:30 AM10/24/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com, GoFish
Thanks for the error report (I guess).

Looks like something a Try/Catch should handle easily enough (even if I do not understand why that string is so long).

I should have a fix with the next few days.

Sorry about that!

Mike Potjer

Oct 24, 2016, 11:42:04 AM10/24/16
to foxpro...@googlegroups.com, FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

You could also build the caption in a variable, and check its length before assigning it to the Caption property.  Then you wouldn’t need a TRY/CATCH, and you could calculate how much to chop off to make a valid Caption.

Mike

Jim Nelson

Oct 25, 2016, 7:54:27 PM10/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com, GoFish
Mike --

GF Verison 5.0.157 for ya -- this take care of your problem?

Mike Potjer

Oct 26, 2016, 7:45:22 AM10/26/16
to foxpro...@googlegroups.com, FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Yes, thanks!  I did a quick check before installing the update, to confirm where I was getting the error.  After installing the update, it is working without error.

Thanks again!