GoFish 5.0.103 Beta

Jim Nelson

Mar 23, 2016, 11:34:01 PM3/23/16
to foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Along with a few bug fixes, this update includes an enhancement to the TreeView that appear on the left -- there is a new node ("Classes") with sub-nodes for all the classes found, whether in VCXs or PRGs.

Note that in the image below, the class bo_ktrack_aus appears.  The other class is PRG-based and does not appear anywhere else.

Inline image 1

As always, let me know what you think.

(Mike P, that is not explicitly directed at you, altho I would be shocked and disappointed not to hear from you.)

Koen Piller

Mar 24, 2016, 2:24:31 AM3/24/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi,
I have following experience:
1) first installation: "Variable Class" not found. Cancel-Suspend-Ignore-Help
Checking available updates showed Gofish4 still showed an available update
2) updated again
now no problem on my screen a clear note:
**** Failed: GoFish_Beta - 5.0.103 Beta - 5.0.203 Beta - 20160323
**** see D:\vfp9\temp\Thor Downloads\GoFish_Beta\GoFish_Beta - 5.0.103 Beta - 5.0.103 Beta - 20160323.Zip

Updating complete
When now activating GoFish4 Beta:  "Variable Class" not found. Cancel-Suspend-Ignore-Help

Regards,

Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2016, 8:51:36 AM3/24/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

Since I have not been able to reproduce the problems you report, some questions:

Have you been using GF Beta before this or is this your first attempt at using it?

Can you supply any more information about the error when it occurs?  An image of the debugger, showing execution stack and local variables, for instance, would be most helpful, as always.

When you try running GF Beta now and you encounter the error, what happens if you choose to Ignore the problem (possibly a number of times)?

Mike Potjer

Mar 24, 2016, 9:04:48 AM3/24/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't want to shock or disappoint you. :-)

I did not have any problems installing the 5.0.103 beta via CFU.  I was previously running the 5.0.93 beta.

The new Classes feature works as advertised.  I pulled up a search from history that included a .PRG-based class, and the .PRG-based class was included among the .VCX-based classes in the Classes node.  I can't comment on the bug fixes, because I don't recall running into any bugs in the past couple months.

Mike

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2016, 9:06:37 AM3/24/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback.

I did not explain what bugs were fixed because they were all things that I noticed and were not reported by anybody else.

Koen Piller

Mar 24, 2016, 1:15:30 PM3/24/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
I was using GF Beta a long time ago untill I faced several errors, I even believe we had a short email exchange about this. It could not be solved. So I stopped with the Beta version. I now notice the emails about a new version so I tried again. However noway it errors on downloading and after that on using as reported.
Since you cannot reproduce and it seems I am the only one facing this misbehavior I will continue to use the GF and not the GF Beta and treat this as related to my environment.
Regards,
Koen Piller

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2016, 3:14:57 PM3/24/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen ---

I am hoping I can persuade you to try a little bit to resolve what the problem here is.

There may in fact be others who are experiencing but not reporting the problem.  Furthermore, since this is still a Beta version, there may be many others who have not tried it and who will not until it goes to production (which we anticipate occurring later this year).  As such, I would really like to eliminate all reported bugs before releasing this to production.

If you would, could you please answer the following?

Can you supply any more information about the error when it occurs?  An image of the debugger, showing execution stack and local variables, for instance, would be most helpful, as always.

When you try running GF Beta now and you encounter the error, what happens if you choose to Ignore the problem (possibly a number of times)?

All of the GoFish setting files are storing in the folder given by  Home(7).  Can you move all of those files elsewhere (in case you want to move them back later) and then try the new GF Beta?  This would eliminate the effect of any setting files left over from earlier instances of GF.

Thanks

Koen Piller

Mar 24, 2016, 4:10:52 PM3/24/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
Believe me I am more than willing to cooperate, however there is little more to tell you what I have already told:
1) upon installation of the update, at the end the error is shown.
2) According to the Thor update scx: update is not effected
3) Started GoFish4 Beta: same error
3a) Ignore - no effect
3b) Restarted my pc
4) Reinstalled the update
5) confirmation on _screen: Update effected
6) Started GoFish4 Beta: the error
7) Restarted my pc
8) Runned GoFirsh4:  no problem

The fact that GoFish4 Beta is storing some files in my Home(7) directory since I am running under Win10 that could be, I dont say it is, be a problem, since I know I cant tough the files in C:\Program files (x86)  (Thank you MicroSoft for locking my pc for unwanted files  sic() )

Sorry I have no intention to move my Home(7) files to an other location. My system is working satisfactory, if you like you can try yourselve: apply a VM with win10, install VFP in Program files (x86) and Thor in a different e.g. D:\VFP\Thor
than have basicly my configuration.
Sorry I am not going to mess my configuration , right now no problem I can work with GoFish4 - not with the Beta.
Again, if you cant reproduce, than just remember at least one user faced the problem, if someone else reporting it also you know it is not due to my configuration and you are bound to do some investigation and if not, so be it.

Regards,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2016, 4:20:06 PM3/24/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

You CAN help -- if you answer these two questions:

Can you supply any more information about the error when it occurs?  An image of the debugger, showing execution stack and local variables, for instance, would be most helpful, as always.

When you try running GF Beta now and you encounter the error, what happens if you choose to Ignore the problem (possibly as many as a DOZEN  times)?

There is no need to reboot your PC or supply the steps you went through.

Koen Piller

Mar 24, 2016, 4:33:34 PM3/24/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,

not tonight anymore, maybe tomorrow.
Regards,
Koen

Jim Nelson

Mar 24, 2016, 5:25:25 PM3/24/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

Any time you could work on this would be appreciated; there certainly is no hurry.

Mike Potjer

Mar 24, 2016, 9:37:31 PM3/24/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro

Jim, Koen,

I ran CFU on my Windows 10 PC at home, and it installed without issue, and appears to be working fine.  When I first upgraded my home computers to Win 10, I know I was having fits with Thor updates, but as I recall the problem all came down to VFP's temporary files setting (see screenshot).  VFP has its own setting for temp files which is used by the SYS(2023) function (and other VFP operations I believe).  Initially I had been using the same VFP settings I'd used for years, with Temporary Files set to the "c:\windows\temp" folder.  I think it was in Windows 8 already that Microsoft got more restrictive about locations like the Windows folder.  Once I changed that setting to use the temp folder under local AppData, I didn't have any more problems with Thor updates.  I don't know if that has anything to do with Koen's problems, but it's something to keep in mind anyway.

Koen Piller

Mar 25, 2016, 1:52:34 AM3/25/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Mike, Jim,
The problem with the Temp file location is known, therefore me too I have set Temporary Files to D:\VFP9\Temp and Thor is working in that situation w.o. any problems. It is just GoFish4 Beta, given an error on installation on update.
Rgds,
Koen

Koen Piller

Mar 25, 2016, 2:46:51 AM3/25/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,
The by you requested debug screen_print.

first error :    "Variable Class" not found
ignore
second error LCPLUGIN not found
ignore
GoFish4Beta starts working  :)
Regards,
Koen
GoFish4-debug.png

Jim Nelson

Mar 25, 2016, 8:34:38 AM3/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

[1]  Can you give the similar debugger screenshot for the second error?

[2]  You said:

GoFish4Beta starts working  :)

      What version of GoFish Beta starts working?

[3]  What errors if any do you get when you run GoFish Beta directly?  And what version is it?

Koen Piller

Mar 25, 2016, 8:42:50 AM3/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
The version as menthioned in the subject
Rgds
Koen

--
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone

Jim Nelson

Mar 25, 2016, 8:44:07 AM3/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

I asked three questions ... can you please answer ALL of them?

Koen Piller

Mar 25, 2016, 8:52:04 AM3/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Jim
Not behind my pc riight now
1) will reply thuisduel
2) & 3) same version - running via Thor

Have a happy Easter
Rgds
Koen

Message from iPhone

Jim Nelson

Mar 25, 2016, 8:56:36 AM3/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

When you are back at your PC:

[1]  What errors if any do you get when you run GoFish Beta directly?

[2]  Can you please send the debugger screenshots for each such error?

Koen Piller

Mar 25, 2016, 8:58:27 AM3/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
OK

Mike Potjer

Mar 25, 2016, 10:53:37 AM3/25/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

I did a search in the new beta (5.0.103), then wanted to filter the results using the super awesome filtering enhancements added to a prior beta.  I attempted to filter the results by Method Name, and as you should see in the screen shots, the query that builds the list for the new Classes node fails when attempting to include the filter.  The Files cursor used in the query only includes a subset of the fields available for filtering, and the MethodName field is not one of them.  I think this should be enough for you to reproduce this, but let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Nelson

Mar 25, 2016, 10:58:04 AM3/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Mike --

Thanks for the super clear description of the problem, the steps you had taken, and the debugger screenshots!

Looks like an easy fix, actually, I can see what's wrong in the debugger window (the Select into "Files" should just be Select *)

Mike Potjer

Mar 25, 2016, 11:10:31 AM3/25/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro

This screenshot shows the structure of the Files cursor.  It doesn't have a MethodName field, so Select * isn't going to fix it.

Mike Potjer

Mar 25, 2016, 11:13:16 AM3/25/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Also, if I ignore the error, I do get the correct filtered results, so that query likely doesn't even need the filter expression in the WHERE clause.

Jim

Mar 25, 2016, 11:18:17 AM3/25/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Not what I meant.

That cursor was created just a few lines above the error, selecting a few fields from a different cursor.

If instead it selected * it should work OK.

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Potjer

Mar 25, 2016, 11:19:36 AM3/25/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Ah, sorry, then what you wrote makes sense.

Mike Potjer

Koen

Mar 31, 2016, 9:49:43 AM3/31/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Jim,
GoFish4Beta starts without any errors, so I can't submit the requested screen dump. :)
Regards,
Koen

Koen

Apr 1, 2016, 12:16:04 PM4/1/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro, foxpr...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

Just today, meanwhile working with newer version GoFish4Beta errors again. Attached the second debug-screen, now with message "Thordespatcher not found"
GoFish4Beta-debug.png

Jim

Apr 1, 2016, 12:36:59 PM4/1/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Is Thor not running?

Sent from my iPhone
<GoFish4Beta-debug.png>

Koen

Apr 1, 2016, 12:47:19 PM4/1/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Thor running confirmed. GosFish4 working, just Gofish4Beta showing this error.
Rgds,

Koen

Apr 1, 2016, 12:51:38 PM4/1/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro, foxpr...@googlegroups.com
Jim,
Now facing a more serious C00005 - see screendump attached
GoFish4-debug(1).png

Jim Nelson

Apr 1, 2016, 1:04:28 PM4/1/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

[1]  Current version is 5.0.105.  Are you using this version?

[2]  What is the value of    _Screen.cThorDispatcher   when you get the error ?

Jim Nelson

Apr 1, 2016, 1:07:15 PM4/1/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Koen --

Well, the fine thing with C5's is that there is frequently no way to learn the cause.  You may suspect GF since that is what you were running when it occurred.

Happily, nobody else has reported the same, so I am hoping it is not GF at all.

Jim Nelson

Apr 1, 2016, 2:00:15 PM4/1/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Burkhard --

Perhaps this message from Mike P is relevant.  (I hope so, as I have nothing else to suggest)

Koen Piller

Apr 1, 2016, 2:04:28 PM4/1/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
1) yes
2) dont know
Rgds
Koen
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone

Mike Potjer

Apr 1, 2016, 4:30:38 PM4/1/16
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim,

I'm thinking that the temp folder is NOT the issue, since the log that Burkhard posted indicated that the temp folder being used is "C:\USERS\BURKHARD\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP", which Windows should be perfectly happy with.  I was also thinking UAC at first, but Burkhard's VFP app folder is not under "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", so the location of Thor.APP and its folders should not be an issue either.

Mike Potjer

Jim Nelson

Apr 1, 2016, 5:03:44 PM4/1/16
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Mike --

Well, darn, because that was my only idea why Check For Updates would not bring up the form.  This has been reported before and I do not recall that it was ever determined why that was so.