FoxPro Thor Error

Frank moore

Nov 4, 2015, 4:51:09 PM11/4/15
to foxpr...@googlegroups.com
This has existed for some time during my updates of VFPX in Visual FoxPro. I always during the update get these errors:

Variable 'DISABLED' is not found

and

Operator/operand type mismatch

which I press 'Ignore" to get around. But, why do they exist anyway. I seem to be able to use everything?

Even tried deleting the ThorVersion.txt file.  Error still pops up.

 Frank

Jim Nelson

Nov 4, 2015, 10:49:09 PM11/4/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Frank --

In order for me to help, you've gotta tell me more.  Since all the code in Thor Check For Updates is open, you should be able to send a screenshot showing the code and method where the error is occurring, along with all the other helpful windows from the debugger.

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 4:45:56 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jim, let me see if I can describe and show you what I am experiencing.

What I press on the "Check for Updates" from the Thor menu, I always end up with this error:

Inline image 1

Pressing the "Suspend" button the program always displays:

Inline image 2

Pressing "Ignore" generates another error:

Inline image 3

and Pressing "Suspend again gives me this report:

Inline image 4

Press "ignore" again and my install screen always comes up and I can load updates, access everything, etc.:

Inline image 5

I have tried to get rid of this error, including removing the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9\Thor\ThorVersion.txt file.  It recreates, but the errors come up again!

This one is driving me nuts, and it does not come up on any other machine of mine, only my personal programming machine.  Any advise from you would be appreciated!

Frank

Jim Nelson

Nov 5, 2015, 4:49:48 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Frank --

When you get that first error -- what is the current alias?  Can you do a browse at the time of the error and then send a screenshot of that?

Am guessing that line needs a  IN  phrase.

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 5:01:56 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Ah!   That is the interesting part.  I have NO active database or table open.  Even when I do, the loading by "Check for Updates" closes everything when it starts.

Jim Nelson

Nov 5, 2015, 5:04:16 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
No, Frank, when you get the error, check for updates has built a cursor as the recordsource for the grid.

Something is going wrong for you at the time of the error so that that statement is not talking to the cursor.

So, when you get the error. do a browse and then send a screenshot.

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 5:10:58 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I stand corrected  Never thought of checking this after a Update.  This is what you mean:

Inline image 1

The cursor is Crsr_thorupdates.  Any idea what I need to do?

Frank

Jim Nelson

Nov 5, 2015, 5:13:02 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Now can you compress the fields so that I can see all of them?

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 5:18:21 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I have been a FoxPro programmer some 15 years, and I am embarrassed to say: How do I compress a grid for display?

Frank

Jim Nelson

Nov 5, 2015, 5:20:56 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
double click on the small empty square at the upper left of the grid (above the delete mark).

There's a zillion things in FoxPro, all of us have learned enough of them to do our jobs.

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 5:23:56 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind, puzzled it out.  Attached.
crsr_thorupdates.htm

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 5:29:54 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Opps, was what I sent you of use?

Jim Nelson

Nov 5, 2015, 5:34:10 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Frank --

Please look for file CHECKFORUPDATES.SCX in Thor and all sub-folders and report what you find.

There should only be one, in the PROCS folder, from Dec 23, 2013

Inline image 1

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 5:44:08 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, mine is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9\Thor\Tools\Procs dated 10/1/2012.  So why is mine so old?  Only one in drive.

Frank

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 5:49:31 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
One note.  I have been, literally, with you guys from the start.

Jim Nelson

Nov 5, 2015, 5:49:51 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
I dunno why your file is old, but that's clearly the issue.

How about the rest of the files in that folder?  Are they more current, or all old?

And, wait ... haven't you said you have caused Thor to be re-installed?  I believe, but am not sure, that delete Thor\ThorVersion.txt before running Check For Updates should cause Thor to reinstall.

If all else fails, start over:

  1. Rename your current Thor folder.
  2. Install Thor from scratch.
  3. Copy the contents of two folders from the the old (just renamed) version -- Tables and My Tools.

Jim Nelson

Nov 5, 2015, 5:50:25 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
which makes all this even weirder.

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 6:12:41 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
I do not have a Thor installation any where else. And, I show other files have been updating in that folder, the latest on 11/5/2015?

A reinstall is okay with me.  So I:

1) rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9\Thor to old_thor
2) and how do I setup the reinstall?  Just run from VFP?

Jim Nelson

Nov 5, 2015, 6:14:38 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
download from the Thor page on VFPX

after you unzip, double-click on Thor.App

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 6:26:54 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
So far, so good on your suggestions.  I also moved TABLES and TOOLS\MYTOOLS over to the new THOR directory.

BUT, pressing the "Check for Updates" now does not display the Check installer at the end.  Is it supposed to do that only when there is something to install?  And, I seem to be missing a number of programs in the system I had before?

Frank

Jim

Nov 5, 2015, 6:46:07 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure I understand.

When you run check for updates from the Thor menu, are you saying you don't get the form where you can select what to install?

Sent from my iPhone
<image.png>

Pressing the "Suspend" button the program always displays:

<image.png>

Pressing "Ignore" generates another error:

<image.png>

and Pressing "Suspend again gives me this report:

<image.png>

Press "ignore" again and my install screen always comes up and I can load updates, access everything, etc.:

<image.png>

Frank moore

Nov 5, 2015, 6:48:55 PM11/5/15
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com

Correct, press on "Check for Updates" and my errors have disappeared, but my Update screen never appears?

Fernando D. Bozzo

Nov 6, 2015, 2:50:39 AM11/6/15
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Hi Frank:

Where is exactly the path of your new Thor directory? Remember that no updatable programs or projects must be under "\Program Files" directory because errors may happen

In example, I have my Thor installation on C:\VFPx directory, on which I have Thor.app and a Thor subdirectory (C:\VFPx\Thor) with the "RunThor.prg" file and the remaining files of the project.

If you download thor.zip and decompress it, all subdirectories should be created.

Regards.-