Thor Tools and buffer overrun when trying to add a new method to a form class

1 view

Paul Newton

Jun 19, 2017, 8:52:24 AM6/19/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro

Well the subject line says it all really.

I always run Do C:\Users\pnewton\Downloads\Thor\Thor.APP at startup.

When I try to add a new method to an existing form class I get the buffer overrun - only two of my form classes seem to exhibit the problem and they have the same parent class.  Adding a new method to the parent class works fine.

BUT if I do not run Thor.App then I can add a new method to the two form classes without a problem.

I would appreciate any insights into this bizarre problem

Jim Nelson

Jun 20, 2017, 10:33:15 AM6/20/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
I assume you have PEMEditor open.

There is a setting in the settings for him to take care of this problem. I can't point you to the exact place because I do not have keyboard access at this time.

Sent from my iPad

Paul Newton

Jun 20, 2017, 11:31:27 AM6/20/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim

Jim - Thanks for your input. Yes the error occurs as the PEMEditor attempts to open and if you can be more specific once you have keyboard access I would be most grateful
Paul

Jim Nelson

Jun 20, 2017, 11:33:31 AM6/20/17
to FoxPr...@googlegroups.com
Look in the settings screen available at top right of pemeditor form.

Sent from my iPad

Paul Newton

Jun 21, 2017, 3:52:06 AM6/21/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim

I couldn't find "Settings" and the nearest thing I found was "Preferences" under which the only thing that looked relevant was Preferences ~ Processing ~ Handlers ~ Event Handlers enabled.but changing this setting made no difference.  However I did find some information in the help file entries "Buffer Overrun Avoidance List.DBF" and "Buffer Overrun may crash VFP".  They assert that the cause is an actual bug in VFP (in one case) and in VFP SP1 but not SP2 (in the other case)

I will try to follow the advice given and add my problem class(es) to the Avoidance List

Thanks again

Paul

Koen Piller

Jun 21, 2017, 4:22:39 AM6/21/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Paul,

My suggestion: post a message concerning Thor in the Thor users discussion users group

You can also study PEM Editor blog

Regards,

Koen

Paul Newton

Jun 21, 2017, 4:23:54 AM6/21/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Jim

Well I tried that and it still does not work - I added the problem class to every instance of the avoidance list DBF I could find and also copied the DBF into the same folder as PEMEDitor.APP
Also PEM Editor seems to ignore the setting of Preferences ~ Processing ~ MemberData ~ Allow creation of _MemberData - well perhaps not creation but if _memberdata already exists PEM Editor continues to use it e.g. when creating a new camel-case method or property

Paul

Koen

Jun 21, 2017, 8:32:40 AM6/21/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Paul,
This is certainly not default behaviour. Have you tried to uninstall and (re)install Thor already? (Be sure to get rid of all the old Thor directories and files after reinstall)
Regards,
Koen

Paul Newton

Jun 23, 2017, 5:22:45 AM6/23/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Koen

Thanks for your input - did you mean to write "Be sure to get rid of all the old Thor directories and files after reinstall" ?

I am very busy at the moment and I have a way of avoiding the problem (by temporarily forcing use of the native PEM tools when I work with the two problem classes).  I will trying a complete uninstall/reinstall when I can find time.

Thanks again

Paul

Koen Piller

Jun 23, 2017, 6:34:32 AM6/23/17
to Thor, the Tool Manager for FoxPro
Paul,
No after Delete  before ReInstall. It seems that several files when already present are not overwritten with a new installation. So if they contain somehow wrong information making your present Thor system working unwantedly it will not be cured by a simple reinstall.
Good luck
Regards,
Koen