First Meeting 9/20/09 Notes

Blaise Pascale

Oct 6, 2009, 9:39:58 PM10/6/09
to Drexel Environmental and Occupational Public Health
EOH club's first meeting was kept brief and we discussed the topics on
the agenda all as potential events.

Introduction
Please remember that suggestions are always welcome
Dr. Jennifer Taylor, faculty liaison

Journal Club
Discussion of an article or two we all read. If you would like to
submit an article for journal club, please feel free, otherwise we’ll
find some good ones.

Next restaurant:
National Mechanics
22 South 3rd Street
(215) 701-4883

Field Trip: Winter Franklin Institute

222 N 20th St Hours: 9:30-5:00pm
(215) 448-1200 $13.00 student tickets
Group Rates ( 15 or more)
$10.50 for Museum $12.75 for Museum +pit

Night Skies Observatory: Every second Thursday

Hiking: 10/24 /09 10:00 AM

Heinz Wildlife Refuge Trail Length- 3.2 miles
Accessible by public transportation Hours: sunrise to sunset

Refuge Map:
http://www.fws.gov/heinz/images/Heinz%20NWR%20Map-color%20Updated%203-18-08.jpg

Fall 2009 Nature Programs: http://www.fws.gov/heinz/pdf/Fall%202009%20Walks%20and%20programs%20for%20website.pdf

Other Outdoor Activities

Cookout/Picnic in Fairmount Park Disc Golf
Longwood Garden Lancaster County
Ice Skating with SGO Bowling with SGO
Mutter Museum Valley Forge Area
APHA Meeting Trash Walk in the Spring

Proposed Meeting Dates and Times
Week of: Oct. 12, Oct. 24, Oct. 26, Nov. 9, Nov. 16

Wednesday 7pm Tuesday 11-12-1?? Tuesday 7pm
Thursday 1pm Wednesday 11-12-1 ?

Potential Weekend Dates
10/24, 11/14. 11/21

Meeting Conclusions:

For the remainder of the quarter we are going to try and have 3
meetings: one will be a dinner at National Mechanics for more of a
social burgers and drinks night, another will be a hike at the Heinz
Wildlife Refuge for the weekend of October 24th beginning around
10am. The park is accessible by public transpo or we may try and
organize some carpooling. The third meeting will be a journal club
where we will all read an article or two and discuss it or them.

Meetings will be held starting next week. We are thinking Monday
10/14 or Tuesday night 10/13 at National Mechanics in the evening. We
originally thought Wednesday, but they do Quizzo and it will be much
busier.

As mentioned above, the second meeting will be a hike/walk/wildlife
observation on 10/24.

The final will be a meeting on campus where we do Journal club either
the week of 11/9 or the week of 11/16, times and weekdays TBD.

If you are interested in going to the first meeting, please reply.

John Donovan

Oct 8, 2009, 10:07:35 AM10/8/09
to Drexel Environmental and Occupational Public Health
Great to hear this is still going on! Let me know if you all want to
do anything during APHA. I'm up for some sort of alumni event...

Hope the school year is going well!

John