ML-India Interview Series - Mr. Avisek Lahiri, doctoral student, IIT Kharagpur

Nishank Varshney

Apr 14, 2016, 7:00:15 AM4/14/16
to Data Science for Social Good
We had the pleasure of interacting with Mr. Avisek Lahiri, a doctoral student at IIT Kharagpur, as a part of our ML-India interview series.

Mr. Avisek Lahiri joined IIT-KGP in 2013 as a master's student in the computer vision lab. After having worked in the field of computer vision, machine learning (ML) caught his attention and he joined the same department as a PhD student.

He talks about his research on Image Captioning using ML and the data annotation problem in supervised ML. He also talks about the current state and growth of innovative ML start-ups in India and also talks about other projects being worked on in his lab.

He stresses on the need to
 improve foreign collaborations in ML research which could bring in fresh ideas and a culture of innovation.

Read the complete interview here.

To join our mailing list for the latest updates, click here.

Nishank Varshney
Aspiring Minds Research

Research blog: Learn more about what we do
ASSESS 2015: Our annual international workshop on data-driven assessments
Data science for kids: Our fun initiative to teach kids data science