Data Scientists & Backend Engineers for Software Defined Power Company

1 view

Erich Nachbar

Aug 25, 2014, 4:57:08 PM8/25/14
to DS4-Soc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are a small company (13 people, series A) applying a software mindset to the outdated power infrastructure present in our current data centers.

Using modern machine learning approaches we can allocate power efficiently to the equipment needing it while avoiding the typical waste that comes with static allocated resources. We have a very deep stack covering everything from mechanical, electrical and software engineering giving people plenty of room to grow while working on a meaningful challenge.

With VPS controlling the power infrastructure, we take reliability very seriously. Our stack is built on industrial strength technology (Scala & Go) utilizing a modern approach to enable high reliability (CoreOS, Etcd, Docker) and scale (Kafka, Spark, Cassandra).

If you are tired of optimizing ad spend, I'd love to talk and
explain everything in detail.
-Erich

Backend Software Engineer

The Backend Engineering team at VPS owns all the infrastructure that controls, optimizes, processes and monitors the products and solutions we build for our clients. We need scalable, performant architectures to process terabytes of data each day. We also need real-time systems to support our interactive products. We’re working with cutting-edge technologies like Scala and Spark as well as more traditional big data systems such as Hadoop. As a Infrastructure Software Engineer at Virtual Power Systems you will be building a platform working closely with our Data Scientists and Frontend Engineers to build a product that intelligently optimizes and allocates power in the data center.

DESIRED SKILLS INCLUDE:

  • Excellent coding skills (bonus if you’re familiar with Go & Scala).

  • Experience with Hadoop, Spark, Storm or other related technologies.

  • Distributed systems expertise.

  • Experience with distributed storage (Cassandra, InfluxDB) and messaging solutions (Kafka, Cloud Message Bus).

  • Great communication skills so you can work with our frontend engineers and data scientists.

  • Strong desire to play foosball.

  • Don’t have experience in something listed? We don’t mind if you’re a quick study.

  • Don’t see a technology you love? Tell us why we should know about it.

Contact: j...@virtualpowersystems.com

Data Scientist

Making sense out of complex data is core to our business at VPS and we’re looking for talented Data Scientists to join the team. Data centers generate a significant volume of diverse data which we use to optimally allocate power, influence VM placement, increase reliability and prevent equipment failures. Our Data Scientists are tasked with qualitatively understanding that data and then designing algorithms and processes to make it useful. Accomplishing that goal requires working closely with engineers, product managers, and also our clients. As a Data Scientist at VPS, you’ll have the opportunity to work with different teams and across many aspects of our business.

DESIRED SKILLS INCLUDE:

  • Outstanding quantitative analytical ability

  • Independent and creative approach to problem solving

  • Statistics/Machine learning expertise

  • Matlab, R, Python, and/or Octave experience

  • Excellent communication skills with scientists, engineers, and non-technical audiences