Opening Day for the Trails Ride -April 9, Meet at the Trenton/Middletown Trailhead at 10 AM

Reynolds, Kevin

Apr 5, 2017, 5:02:33 PM4/5/17
to CycleCi...@googlegroups.com

Bike the Great Miami River Trail from the Trenton/Middletown trailhead off Ohio Rt 73 to Franklin and Miamisburg and back. Jim Thomas was kind enough to add a hyperlink that shows the bulk of the route. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19912437

Check out the murals in Franklin and then continue north to Miamisburg for lunch. Round–trip is about 40 miles. People who prefer a shorter ride may eat in Franklin and return via the trail, for a 26-mile loop. Note that there is a two mile section of trail missing north of Middletown that requires riders to cross a divided four-lane road and ride on the 8 ft. wide berm (where road repairs will hopefully be completed), until reaching the southern outskirts of Franklin heading north, where the trail resumes.  Here is the link to the trailhead:   https://www.google.com/maps/place/Great+Miami+River+Trail+-Trenton+Parking+Lot/@39.4829248,-84.4418564,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x884042d49fc01c8b:0xb6e1bf96197ffa42!8m2!3d39.4829248!4d-84.4396677

We will likely eat a leisurely lunch at TJ Chumps if we have the time. They cater to cyclists and have a great outdoor dining area if the weather really cooperates.  Bring $$ for lunch and a lock is not a bad idea, especially if we eat inside. ( Also bring a spare tube, pump and patch kit.  There were a couple of areas with broken glass near the north Middletown trailhead.) A helmet is required to participate!

Ride leaders are Kevin Reynolds and John Kemper.  Call Kevin at 513 379-4536 if you have questions.  The trailhead is about 45-50 minutes from the Northgate area.  Pace will be moderate.  Come get a taste of Cincinnati’s other great bike trail, that extends without interruption from Franklin to Piqua- about 55 miles, and with a few significant gaps, down to Fairfield with maybe 20 miles of 30 completed.  This ride is also a Green Umbrella ride event and a Rails to Trails ride event.