3D printed parts

Hugo Hernandez

Feb 21, 2022, 2:12:24 PM2/21/22
to Crow Box Kit
Good morning! i came across this fascinating idea to see how (if any) corvids are in my area and how they may behave. I'm down in southern California fairly close to the southern border towards the coast. My daughter and I want to build this. I have a large print 3D printer, along with adruino parts etc..

Is there an option to 3d Print the housing and parts? I read the option to buy the laser cut parts, but wanted to ask if i could just print them myself.

thank you!
hugo

Michael Kapp

May 26, 2022, 12:13:11 AM5/26/22
to Crow Box Kit
I would love a 3D printed solution. Did you make any progress here?

pa...@freemail.ch

May 29, 2022, 8:25:28 AM5/29/22
to Crow Box Kit
Hi,  I made a 3D printed Crowbox. All except the moving tray which I cut in 2mm transparent acrylic sheet.
I guess I could post the files somewhere if the owners of the project agree to it.
Attached  a link of the box in action. Thanks to the makers of this project -
I have lots of fun with it and  it seems the crows enjoy it as well!

Note that for 3d printing you will need to use PETG or ABS. PLA will deform if you leave it in direct sunlight.

Hugo Hernandez

May 29, 2022, 10:28:38 PM5/29/22
to Crow Box Kit
Hey Thanks for sharing Pa. If you have a link to a cults3d page. i would not mind paying for the 3d STL files. It's fair enough the work was done and should be compensated for. Maybe offer the creator that. They can create an account for free at cults3d.com an upload their design for sale!

Michael Kapp

May 30, 2022, 11:35:34 PM5/30/22
to Crow Box Kit
That is awesome!!!
I would be incredible if you could post those files somewhere!

Did you have to scale down or where you able to find a 3D printer with a large enough bed?

I did find a completely different design using 3D printed parts: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4601125   (Birdbox by robocut)

You guys seem like you may also be interested in this: https://birdnetpi.com/

Thanks,
MK

Michael Kapp

May 30, 2022, 11:39:55 PM5/30/22
to Crow Box Kit
I don't think the project owners ( Josh Klein ) would have a problem posting the files. The project is open source and they provide the laser cutting files. We are just trying to go to a different material.
The current costs for plexiglass alone is stopping me from even trying this project.
Having a 3D printed option will probably open the door for more people!!!

Hugo Hernandez

May 31, 2022, 11:57:45 AM5/31/22
to Crow Box Kit
Hi MIke! yes that is my problem too. the cost of the laser cutting is a bit high. I have both resin and FDM printers and would print it in ABS or TPU for durability. I had tried using some conversion software to extrude the files into 3D formats that could be used as STL files but didn't have much luck. It can't seem to tell which are the holes and which is the material so it inverts the cutouts into STL files. maybe someone else has better luck.

Michael Kapp

Jun 3, 2022, 11:43:49 AM6/3/22
to Crow Box Kit
If we don't hear back soon, then I will start to looking into modeling and scaling to fit a Prusa MK2.5S Printer. But it would be very awesome to skip this step!!! especially since it was already done.

I really hope we hear back too.... he has a 3D printer auto lawn mower I want to hear more about!

Hugo Hernandez

Jun 3, 2022, 1:05:28 PM6/3/22
to Crow Box Kit
Hi MIke! that would be fantastic. I don't think you need to worry about trying to scale to fit. There is software to slice manually the parts or the link below is some software that will split STL files to make things super large or to break things down to fit the peoples 3d printers. If there is a model out there, it doesn't matter the scale (at least for me) i can scale up or down and that software will do the cuts and even put the supports between the cuts so they fit perfectly.

here is a video about it.

luban 3d

Hope to see a model when it becomes real! also i know it takes time to do these kinds of projects. If you want to use cults3d.com to sell your STL to download in order to show some appreciation I won't mind. Just an idea as i believe people putting their passion into their work should get a little something.
thanks!

pa...@freemail.ch

Jun 4, 2022, 1:11:52 AM6/4/22
to Crow Box Kit
Hi sorry  for delayed reply. I zippped the STLs and size comes out to approx 328kb. So if anyone is interested post a link or email I can upload to.
Note I made these 2 years ago and I have quite a few files and iterations so possibly not all 100%   but if any missing I can redo. I have a Prusa and largest parts just about fit.
 Regarding the lawnmower you can buy cheapest models from stores  today for about USD 300 -  the price it costs to make one is approx USD 200 so not worth it.

Josh Klein

Jun 6, 2022, 6:02:45 AM6/6/22
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
Just want to jump in and say thanks for sharing this!!

- J

Michael Kapp

Jun 7, 2022, 3:33:52 PM6/7/22
to Crow Box Kit
Thanks again for posting the files. I have gone through and compared them to the BoM and there are a few items that need to be clarified.

There are several stl files you provided I was not able to match to the BoM. Could you please explain these following items:
esp32box.stl
esp32lid.stl
servo plate.stl
ServoPinion.stl
top plate.stl
updated servo plate holder.stl

Here are the plexiglass parts I was unable to match to your stls. Could you please explain these items:
Rotor
Rotor Hub
Rotor Push Pin
Basket Alignment Tool
Coin Magazine Side Panels
Coin Magazine Feet
Perch Hook
Base Reinforcing Ring
Coin Magazine Front Panel
Coin Magazine Rear Panel
Coin Magazine Cap
Perch Fulcrum

There are 3 BoM items that match up to more than one stl file. What one should I use:

Perch Platform:
top perch.stl
&
top plate outside.stl

Side Panel:
Side Panel too thick.stl
&
side Panelv ok 6 Final.stl

Upper Ramp Panels:
Styrene.stl
&
Styrene1.stl

It seems like the "updated servo plate holder.stl" covers a few Rotor parts, but it isn't clear to me.

Thanks again for your time on this.
If you don't mind and I am successful, I will document everything and try to streamline this for other people who would like to 3D Print?
I would make sure you are clearly credited for the stl files.
I would like to post on other platforms such as instructables.com and thingiverse.com/printables.com so more people are aware of this project too.

Thanks,
MK

Dave Warnke

Sep 28, 2022, 1:48:54 PM9/28/22
to Crow Box Kit
Any updates on the 3D printed version?  Thanks

Michael Kapp

Sep 28, 2022, 1:57:12 PM9/28/22
to Crow Box Kit
I personally have not completed the 3D printed version yet.
Is there something in particular you were interested in learning?
Thanks,
MK

Dave Warnke

Sep 28, 2022, 2:04:34 PM9/28/22
to Crow Box Kit
I just would have access to the build if there was a complete 3D printed version. It seems like from the thread
that's not exactly what you got.

Michael Kapp

Sep 28, 2022, 3:41:27 PM9/28/22
to Crow Box Kit
Dave,
I sent you the files I had directly.
Thanks,
MK

Delcos Robotics

Nov 27, 2022, 6:07:49 PM11/27/22
to Crow Box Kit
Hi, do you have a download for the files yet? Thank you.

Michael Kapp

Nov 28, 2022, 9:25:13 AM11/28/22
to CrowB...@googlegroups.com
It is a little incomplete.
But that is what I got so far.

Thank you,
Michael T. Kapp
Cell - (856)-628-0497
CrowBox.xlsx
PaulG_STLs.zip

Taylor LaBresh

Dec 12, 2022, 1:16:06 PM12/12/22
to Crow Box Kit
Hey! I'm super new to both Crow Box AND 3d printing (and do not have any knowledge of CNC cutting or milling) but is it possible to get the DXF files converted into STL?

I don't know for sure if this article is helpful or not since I don't know how to use (or even have access to) Inkscape, and when I tried converting the DXF into SVG or STL on a couple online converters it didn't seem to work when uploading into TinkerCAD.

Michael Kapp

Dec 12, 2022, 1:45:39 PM12/12/22
to Crow Box Kit
Taylor,
There is a Paul in this thread that provided me with files he already converted. He did build a 3D printed version. I'll try to send you my copy of the files directly since I don't have the ability to attach in this group.

I didn't try the CNC approach, but I don't know how well it would have worked. Some parts seem like it would have been problematic, but maybe there is a workaround.... I am not familiar either.

That article you sent is neat. I did play around with importing the DXF files into Fusion360 and working from there. It did work, but there was a significant load on my computer.
In the videos, he takes separate parts and combines them to make One 3D part. I believe Paul did this for several parts, but overall, it still needs to be printed separate and assembled. (CAN'T USE PLA)

I have been learning inkscape (because of my attempts to convert off of acrylic material) and in my opinion it isn't intuitive at all. However, there are plenty of resources online to get you up to speed.... maybe too much that it seems overwhelming.
Pretty sure Inkscape is free across all platforms too! https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-1.2.2/

Keep us posted and feel free to reach out to me directly: mike...@gmail.com

Thanks,
MK