RGB controller demo

Andy Greaves

Jun 6, 2014, 10:48:16 AM6/6/14
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help, I'm having a play around with the RGB Controller demo.

I have one of the quasar 232 RGB boards
I have a Lanbridge setup for 232 and also a CFmini set up for 232.

In the GUI I have changed the IP address of the system to that of the LAN bridge.

When I upload the GUI and press anything on it, nothing happens to my LED's and I get a CF link fault light.

Is there other settings I need to change first before uploading?

I'm only just beginning to learn JS so be gentle if its related to this!

Thanks

Andy.

Please include as much software version/hardware firmware version information as possible. This ensures that other users and CommandFusion staff can provide a helpful answer as quickly as possible.

Jarrod Bell

Jun 6, 2014, 11:47:35 AM6/6/14
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
Are you using the LAN Bridge or the CF Mini for the RS232 control?

If using LAN Bridge, simply change your system properties in guiDesigner to point to the IP of the LAN Bridge, and use TCP port 10208.
Port 10208 is by default bridged to the COM port of the LAN Bridge.

But if you are using the CF Mini, you will need to use TCP port 10207 of the LAN Bridge (which communicates with the CFLink bus) and modify the script main.js from this:
var myRGB = new RGBController({systemName: "RGBController", address: 0x4C, CFLink: { id: 0x10, command: "TMODSPW", module: "", port: "" }});

To this:

var myRGB = new RGBController({systemName: "RGBController", address: 0x4C, CFLink: { id: 0x20, command: "TMINSPW", module: "", port: "" }});

Adjust "0x20" to match the CFLink ID of your CF Mini (20 is the default).

And finally, check that your RS232 ports on both devices are configured to the correct modes (232 Mode) and baud rates, etc.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Andy Greaves

Jun 6, 2014, 12:03:27 PM6/6/14
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jarrod,

Thanks very much, that got me talking to the LAN bridge straight away.
I'm sure its probably documented too but I find it a minefield finding answers to my questions due to the sheer amount of info around and the number of different locations it's stored in.

Do you find that the colour wheel doesnt respond well on this GUI?  I can drag my finger around the wheel but only a few small sections of the image actually cause any changes either to the sliders or the LED strip.
I'm guessing this is again a javascript issue to do with how it's tracking the co-ords of the touch input?

Andy.

Jarrod Bell

Jun 6, 2014, 12:09:12 PM6/6/14
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
It might be a problem due to running on a retina display (probably the top left quarter of the image will work).
To fix this, edit colorpicker.js in a text editor (open it in notepad for example) and just above the "CF.loadAsset" line, add this:

if (CF.device.displayDensity > 1) {
    self.imageURL = self.imageURL.slice(0, -4) + "@2x.png";
}

Add it just above this line:
https://github.com/CommandFusion/RGBController8191/blob/master/scripts/colorpicker.js#L71

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Andy Greaves

Jun 6, 2014, 12:53:22 PM6/6/14
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I know a genius when I see one!

Nice one Jarrod, solved it perfectly.  Now I can get to the serious business of seeing how much strip I can get on this driver before it melts!

By the way, in case anyone else is using this RGB driver, I've been running 24v strip on it all day today.  Total load was 72w, although I did triple that for a while.

The regulator and mosfets are all rated for that voltage so it seems to be fine.  (Although im sure the manufactuer don't recommend it and I take no responsibility for it either!)

With 72w running, there is no discernible heat on the board at all and suspect it will drive a fair bit more quite happily.

Andy.

Jarrod Bell

Jun 7, 2014, 5:37:30 AM6/7/14
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing that info Andy. Please do share a video demo of the system in action once you have it all setup.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Andy Greaves

Jun 7, 2014, 12:45:40 PM6/7/14
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
I'll make a proper video soon when it's done as we'll be installing a load of strip in the office and may integrate the GUI into a bigger project file.

Just for future reference, does the port settings follow on with more CF hardware? 10207 for LAN bridge, 10208 for CF mini..... How would that affect the next CFmini on the CF link? Would it be 10209? And if so, how does it relate that to the CF address of each module?

Thanks again for the help.

Andy.

Jarrod Bell

Jun 7, 2014, 1:21:18 PM6/7/14
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
The port setting in your guiDesigner project only affects your communication with the LAN Bridge.
Port 10207 =  You must send valid CFLink packets, which can be directed to anything on the CFLink bus (including the LAN bridge itself, a specific CF Mini, etc).
Port 10208 = Direct send data to the LAN Bridge on-board serial port.

So if you want to send data to the serial port of a CF Mini, you have to send data to port 10207 like this:
\xF2<ID HERE>\xF3TMINSPW\xF4<DATA TO SEND HERE>\xF4\xF5

As per the docs here:
http://www.commandfusion.com/wiki2/hardware/cflink/on-board-rs232-port-protocol#spw-serial-port-write

Another option is to create a slot and bridge it in the LAN Bridge, so that you can setup a slot on TCP port 10209 to bridge to a specific CFLink ID, and use TMINSPW as the TX command, and RCOMSPR as the RX command. This forces the data you send to TCP port 10209 to automatically be wrapped with the correct CFLINK ID and TMINSPW command before it gets sent out the CFLink bus (so that the CF Mini can receive it and forward the data out its serial port).

You can see all the slot configurations that are configured in the LAN Bridge for details on where each port goes (you will notice the default 10207 and 10208 are already in there, any others you have to define yourself).

And the docs for bridging here:
http://www.commandfusion.com/wiki2/hardware/lan-bridge/lan-bridge-configuration/slots-tab

Regards,

Jarrod Bell