CF IR Blaster external IR receiver wire length question

myrealemai...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2015, 10:14:09 AM2/6/15
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
I have a CF IR Blaster and I am going to connect a TSOP4838 external receiver to it. I would like to mount that receiver a distance away from the IR Blaster, and I figure that I might need up to about 9 or 10 meters of cable. I plan on using CAT-3 (telephone) wire. I am wondering whether there is a limitation on the IR Blaster that would prevent this length of wire from working.

Also, I see that Vishay recommends using, in some cases, a .1 uf cap across the supply lines, and I am assuming that it will reduce noise at least somewhat on a long wire run like this. Would using the cap be likely to help (realizing that if the length of wire is too long for the drive current on the +5V line that no amount of filtering will help)? I would mount the cap at the 4838.

Thanks.

Jarrod Bell

Feb 6, 2015, 9:50:05 PM2/6/15
to commandfusi...@googlegroups.com
I am not 100% sure on length limitations here. Give it a go, and in the meantime I will try and find the specs.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com