Question for all CHUGers regarding Health GIS

1 view

Ariann Nassel

Feb 19, 2013, 2:52:29 PM2/19/13
to CHUG
Hello everyone

I have a quick question.
How many of you are working on a Public Health, Environmental Health,
or other Health related project using GIS?

I think it will be interesting for everyone to know what work is going on at this time.

Thanks!

Ariann F. Nassel,  MA

University of Colorado Denver

Department of Emergency Medicine

Academic Office Building One

12401 E. 17th Avenue,

Aurora, CO 80045

(303 )333-8221 (Cell)

(720) 848-7374 (fax)

ariann...@ucdenver.edu

White - CDPHE, Benjamin

Feb 19, 2013, 3:21:45 PM2/19/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ariann, I am working on a GIS-related project involving campylobacter disease cluster detection.

-Ben

Benjamin White, MPH
EIP Epidemiologist
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Drive S., A-3
Denver, CO 80246

Egbert - CDPHE, Mark

Feb 19, 2013, 3:40:45 PM2/19/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Ariann.

I'm glad you asked!

We are beginning to take a closer look at Health Equities and Environmental Justice.

We continue to work on the Colorado piece of the Environmental and Public Health Tracking Project.

We are trying to make sure we are ready for this year's wildfire season.

We have a lot of other work too, but these are some of the highlights.

Mark.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Ariann Nassel <afna...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Mark Egbert
GIS Coordinator
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment

Ana Marin

Feb 19, 2013, 4:40:39 PM2/19/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ariann,

Jefferson County Public Health (JCPH) is working on maps for the Community Health Profile.  The maps will include socio-demographics and some mortality measures.  Jefferson County's IT GIS group is helping create the maps since Public Health does not have a GIS person.

Ana Marin, MPH

Epidemiologist

Jefferson County Public Health

800 Jefferson County Parkway, Golden, CO 80401

Office: 303.271.8393 Fax: 303.271.8390

Cell: 720.345.8207    amar...@jeffco.us

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressees named

herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient

of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail and any

attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me

immediately at the e-mail address listed above and permanently delete the original and any copy of this email

and any printout thereof.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Ariann Nassel <afna...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Melanie.A...@kp.org

Feb 19, 2013, 4:42:41 PM2/19/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Ana,

For the Community Health Profile, will you please share the information?  I am wondering if Kaiser Permanente will have access to the maps.

Thanks,
Melanie
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Melanie A. Stopponi, MPA, MCHES | Project Manager | Nursing Services | Kaiser Permanente Colorado
PO Box 378066 | Denver, CO 80237-8066 |
( (303) 636-2988 |È(303) 990-4575 | 7 (303) 636-2997 | * Melanie.A...@kp.org

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them.  Thank you.

From:        Ana Marin <avcm...@gmail.com>
To:        ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Date:        02/19/2013 02:40 PM
Subject:        Re: Question for all CHUGers regarding Health GIS
Sent by:        ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ariann,

Jefferson County Public Health (JCPH) is working on maps for the Community Health Profile.  The maps will include socio-demographics and some mortality measures.  Jefferson County's IT GIS group is helping create the maps since Public Health does not have a GIS person.

Ana Marin, MPH

Epidemiologist

Jefferson County Public Health

800 Jefferson County Parkway, Golden, CO 80401

Office: 303.271.8393 Fax: 303.271.8390

Cell: 720.345.8207    amar...@jeffco.us

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressees named

Ana Marin

Feb 19, 2013, 5:03:55 PM2/19/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Melanie,

The GIS group is helping us create maps with the socio-demographic layers that CDPHE made available based on Census 2010 data, and a map with Cardiovascular disease mortality containing data that CDPHE provided to us via a special data request.

These are some the maps that will be included in our Health Profile:

1.       Income: Medan income (tract level)

2.       Educational attainment: Percent of the population 25 or older with only high school education (tract level)

3.       Poverty: Percent of households below the federal poverty level (tract level)

                  4.       Cardiovascular disease: mortality data aggregated to display at tract level

GIS maps are a tool and would love to have more, however, due to the lack of capacity to create GIS maps, we will only include a few.   Please let me know if Kaiser Permanente has any maps at the Census Tract level for Jefferson county either containing social, demographic, economic characteristics or health data.  It will be very useful for our Community Health Profile

Thank you,

AnAna

Emily O'Winter

Feb 19, 2013, 8:54:13 PM2/19/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ariann,

We've discussed/brainstormed a bit on a potential mapping project to look at locations of stores selling new smokeless tobacco products (water, mints, orbs, etc) and potentially their proximity to schools, parks, etc.  This is for collaborative work between Jeffco Public Schools and Public Health.

Thanks,
Emily

Emily (Schwall) O'Winter, MURP, MPH

Altruismical

Feb 20, 2013, 10:29:32 AM2/20/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Emily,
I'm new to the Colorado/Front Range region (as of Jan 5th) and I'm looking for GIS/mapping projects that pique my interest.  The intersection of these two variables in relationship to public health / children's health is something I would like to support if you are open to it. I have an entry level experience base of community health mapping in relationship to public infrastructure and governmental data.

Online Assets

Entire CO-GIS Health Users,
As a new Colorado resident, I am open to all entry-level opportunities or paid-internships for your geospatial related projects.  Please contact me if you feel that your projects and opportunities could use an enthusiastic cartographer / data researcher.

Thank you,
Jeremy Goldsmith

Visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ColoradopublicHealthgisUserGroup?hl=en-US.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Gwendolyn Wernersbach

Feb 20, 2013, 11:23:57 AM2/20/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ben!

Thought I'd jump in regarding the Wildfire Season piece- one of the things we are working on at the Red Cross in partnership with others in disaster and risk management is a day of service event around the one year anniversary of the Colorado Wildfires.  Are you aware of this event, or would you like to learn a bit more about it?  It's currently scheduled for May 4, 2013.

Thanks!
Gwen

Eric Ross

Feb 20, 2013, 11:31:20 AM2/20/13
to ColoradopublicHe...@googlegroups.com

Hello Ariann,

We’ve been identifying at-risk populations based on a number of socioeconomic factors - these are largely based on Harvard Medical School methodologies related to health outcomes.  We’ve also been identifying areas of significant aging populations, areas of walkability, racial and ethnic segregation by dissimilarity and isolation, and racial/ethnic concentrated areas of poverty.

Emily, you might want to look at the Children’s Corridor work the Piton Foundation is doing.

Cheers,

Eric Ross | Planner II, Research & Data Analyst | Regional Planning & Operations

Direct 303-480-6728Fax 303-480-6790 | eross@drcog.org

2011-DRCOG-New-Email-Signature3

2013Signature1

Help us celebrate why the Denver region is a great place to live, work and play!

image003   cid:image006.jpg@01CC3019.BBCAD690