Price comparison data

tom okane

Sep 7, 2017, 3:11:31 AM9/7/17
to Wales Community Supported Agriculture Group /Ffermio Gyda Pobl, CSAnet...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have organic price comparison data for box schemes, supermarkets etc for the past year? Or know of somewhere we can access this? Cheers, Tom

Tom O'Kane Cae Tân csa / 07791696848 / www.caetancsa.org

Ben Raskin

Sep 7, 2017, 3:22:28 AM9/7/17
to Wales Community Supported Agriculture Group /Ffermio Gyda Pobl, csanet...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tom

we do price comparison for wholesale and supermarket on Soil Association website

https://www.soilassociation.org/farmers-growers/market-information/price-data/

Find out more about how we can help you go organic and sell organic.

don't do box schemes as boxes vary so much comparison is very tricky and potentially meaningless.

hope that helps

Ben

Does anyone have organic price comparison data for box schemes, supermarkets etc for the past year? Or know of somewhere we can access this? Cheers, Tom

Tom O'Kane Cae Tân csa / 07791696848 / www.caetancsa.org

For more information and resources on CSA visit www.csainfo.org.uk

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CSA Network UK" group.

CSA Network UK

Sep 7, 2017, 3:27:13 AM9/7/17
to tom okane, Wales Community Supported Agriculture Group /Ffermio Gyda Pobl, CSAnet...@googlegroups.com
I don't know anyone who compares it nationally as all box schemes are different prices - but quite a few box schemes just do it themselves.

If you look on Plotgate CSA's Facebook page - they do it regularly and post a comparison - and are always cheaper.

Thanks
Maresa

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM, tom okane <tomos...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have organic price comparison data for box schemes, supermarkets etc for the past year? Or know of somewhere we can access this? Cheers, Tom

Tom O'Kane Cae Tân csa / 07791696848 / www.caetancsa.org

Maresa Bossano | CSA Network UK Co-ordinator

tom okane

Sep 8, 2017, 3:37:52 AM9/8/17
to Gerald Miles, Gary Mitchell, CSA Network UK, Wales Community Supported Agriculture Group /Ffermio Gyda Pobl, CSAnet...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Gerald, all valid points. We have decided to do weekly price comparisons for a year with cae tan, a local organic box supplier, supermarket organic and supermarket non organic.

Currently we charge £54 a month and plan to raise this next summer.

We can then present our cost comparisons alongside social, enviro and economic benefits of cae tan to our members.

Currently due to value of salads, tomatoes and beans, our weekly share £12.50 would cost close to £30 from a local organic box supplier, but we need to get a full years data before we can really present a good case.

Priority for us is maintaining good quality and variety throughout the year.

See you next weekend.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Sep 2017, at 13:18, Gerald Miles <g...@caerhys.co.uk> wrote:

We should nationally as a CSA value ourselves and use Riverford Box Scheme as a benchmark, but we at Coca recently increased our price by £3 across the board - Large £50 and small £28 per month but still I think we are to cheap.
We need to set a price, like the Milk Marketing Board decades ago when milk production was stable!  We should value it from supporting local economy, valuing local produce, healthy organic and most of all giving the Grower / Farmer a sustainable living wage.
We need to bring respect back to Growers and Farmers!
If CSAs are going to grow and evolve country wide the careers must be paid accordingly !

This is one of my aims in Coca but we have cheap shit food in competition but we offer More !
The pressure and responsibility to manage and plan and live with the thought on a daily basis that great number of families depend on the Growers ability to supply them with local good quality organic veg.
Coca pays £275 for average of 20 hour per week throughout the year.
Equals £13 per hour, when a Builder gets £15+ /hr,  mechanic £35+ he
Solicitor £125+ /hr.
But we only supply Food !
Unless we create better standard wage for Growers we will never earn respect, devalue our skill and end up depleting Veg Growers similar to disappearing small farms !
The Future is Ours - what are going to do about it ?
Gerald - Coca

On 7 Sep 2017, at 12:31, Gary Mitchell <ga...@farmgarden.org.uk> wrote:

Hi Tom,

Similar to Tony I’ve not ever found anyone that does it nationally and for any serious length of time.  I guess it depends why you want the information?

Is it to gauge your own prices / value placed on box’s shares? Or is to create more awarenees that in general veg box’s are on a par / often cheaper than supermarkets?

Although we not running Veg Box’s any more Cultivate use whatever data they can to ensure that the price we sell out at is fair for the growers and competitive against others as we are always trying to put good food out there, which is affordable to all.

So we do the usual (monthly checks again 2 or 3 supermarkets – using their on-line shopping apps) making sure where ever possible it’s a like for like comparison. We check Organic Wholesale prices. And we used to (but don’t get the info so regularly) use the Soil Associations gate & field price charts when they are published.

One thing depending on what you are using the info for is to consider the wider implications of money spent on a veg box Vs Supermarket. Horticulture Wales did a few stats a while back and showed the spend on a veg box remains in the community something like 80% more than through a supermarket. I’m not sure if their WebSite is still active or not, but might be worth a look.

Sorry I wont catch up with you at your AGM or the Wales CSA event… I hope you have enjoyed having Lauren and Phil around, exciting to see where their journey takes them.

Gary

Mick Marston

Sep 8, 2017, 4:02:37 AM9/8/17
to csanet...@googlegroups.com

Dear Tom

Mick Marston has retired from his postion at FCFCG, so please remove this email address from your mailing list.

Kind regards

FCFCG Adminstrator

Sent: 08 September 2017 08:37
To: Gerald Miles