Fwd: Parliament event- new entrants to farming - 6th Feb

CSA Network UK

Jan 17, 2018, 10:34:09 AM1/17/18
to CSA Network board and staff, CSAnet...@googlegroups.com, Wales Community Supported Agriculture Group /Ffermio Gyda Pobl

There is a real movement building to change farming.

We are campaigning to make it easier for farmers to get permission to live on their smallholding.

We see this as one of the single biggest advances that could be made to get more people onto the land, farming high quality food in a sustainable way that improves soil health and biodiversity.

There is a meeting in Parliament on the 6th Feb where the Conservative Party are considering this very issue. Come and attend - fill the room and show the Tories they need to act.

Simon Fairlie (Author of Low Impact Development: Planning and People in a Sustainable Countryside) will be speaking to advocate for smallholders.

George Eustice, head of DEFRA has said he will be in attendance. Michael Gove, Secretary of State for the Environment, has also been invited by Conservative Rural Affairs Group (CRAG) Chairman Lord Abergavenny. The CRAG (Recently renamed Conservative Rural Forum) meetings are frequently attended by MP's and Councillors.

Their paper making post-Brexit recommendations to cabinet will be finalised and submitted at the end of February so we have an opportunity to get this issue onto the top table. Michael Gove has indicated that he is looking for ways to help new entrants into farming.

We need to fill the room with young farmers (under 40) and new entrants to farming to show the Conservatives that they should support this issue. They are searching for ways to engage with the next generation so this is a good opportunity to get them to act in the interests of new entrants to farming.

The meeting will be after 13:00 on the 6th February in the Houses of Parliament (exact time and room to be confirmed)

If you are finding it difficult to get into London on that day please get in touch and we will try to assist.

Please forward this to any new entrants to farming you know.

Yours

Daniel Hudson

--
Lauren Simpson & Phil Moore
Communications Team

Meet the team in our new film | Sign up to our newsletter here

Unit 204, The Brighton Eco-centre, Brighton, BN1 3PB
communications@ecologicalland.coop | www.ecologicalland.coop
Ecological Land Cooperative is the trading name of Ecological Land Limited, registered with the FCA under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, Reg. No 30770 R.

--
Maresa Bossano | CSA Network UK Co-ordinator