Online family history experience

TerriLynne Pomeroy

Mar 16, 2016, 7:36:44 PM3/16/16
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

                Hi all,

I admit to being a little frustrated about the constant updating of the FamilyTree pages in FamilySearch.org. Things seem to be not only constantly changing, but they often seem to become more cumbersome to use with a screen reader.

I am looking for suggestions and/or feedback to be passed along in order to, perhaps, make things a little easier. If you have any such feedback or suggestions, I would love to hear from you. You can either respond to this list, or you can send me an e-mail at:

T...@ml1.net

Hope to hear from you. Thanks much,

TerriLynne

Camille Curtis

Mar 18, 2016, 3:07:31 PM3/18/16
to Blind Latter-day Saints
Hi TerriLynn,

I wanted to reply to your post.  I work in Disability Services at the Church Office building.   I will make sure to pass along your feedback to Family Search.  If you have specific examples that I could also pass along to them, that would be great.  You can email me with those at:  disab...@ldschurch.org

Thank you,
Special Programs and Services
Priesthood and Family Department
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Wayne Hinckley

Mar 21, 2016, 7:40:36 PM3/21/16
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

TerriLynne and Camille and others,

I have not ventured to use FamilyTree or any of the FamilySearch features lately, perhaps for the same reasons you have expressed your frustrations.

So far as accommodating screen readers, the fix is in the hands of management of whatever department writes these programs.

When a programmer ignores the required standards to be used, it is probably because management is not enforcing the need that those standards be used.  Too often the programmers and the management are not aware of the standards because they have no blind or visually impaired persons in their circles of family and friends.  Those programmers and managers need an advocate for the blind and other disabilities as part of the committee that draws up the proposed additions and changes to things like web pages.

It is just like making a Church video with description for the blind, it takes educating those with the authority to enforce.

For a video they need to offer the described soundtrack like it is another language.  For web pages it takes a few extra lines of coding to make it accessible. It is my understanding it is literally just a few extra lines, not like you have to rewrite every line, just add a few extra ones.

If there is anyone reading this and can be more specific about the name and location of those coding standards, or correct what I am trying to express, please let us know.  That way Camille can pass that information on to the correct people.

Wayne Hinckley

--
-- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at http://www.lds.org/disability

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Blind Latter-day Saints group. To post to this group, send email to blin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to blindlds+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/blindlds?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.