The strange case of closed captions

Greg Kearney

Apr 28, 2014, 10:38:27 AM4/28/14
to blin...@googlegroups.com
I realize that many on this list can not see these images and so can not appreciate this post however it is at least tangentially related to the issue of descriptive video. This is a matter for the deaf community to take up.

Here are some samples of what we get with automatic captions in YouTube, while the system does a commendable job given what they are attempting to do the results fall short of what a real caption file would produce. I not that if a video has a proper caption then it is possible to turn off the generated captions in favor of the provided ones.

I only got half way through this one video. As I said if the first presidency were aware of what was happening I can not believe they would be happy with the resutls.

Greg

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
605 Robson Street, Suite 850
Vancouver BC V6B 5J3
CANADA