Folks

Carl Belnap

May 28, 2014, 1:05:43 AM5/28/14
to blin...@googlegroups.com
Why can’t we make another group called

Blind l. D. S. computer users group

About 99 Per Cent of posts lately are about Downloading things.

Is this the sole purpose of this group?

Just wondering

Carl Belnap Oregon

Tom Mitchell

May 28, 2014, 12:19:21 PM5/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting the idea that you wish this group to do something other
than talk about computer-related questions, and would like to see a
group just for computer users. Exactly, what is it you would like to
see this group do? Please don't think that I ask this question as an
adversarial question, because I do not. But I ask it out of real
curiosity. What should this group be doing that it is not?
> --
> -- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at http://www.lds.org/disability

> ---
> "Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
> email to BlindLDS+u...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.

Sandy England

May 28, 2014, 12:28:35 PM5/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

I have been wondering the same thing.  Some of us do not understand or that there is just a few that can talk about tech things.

I would love to have a support group in which we talk about blindness matters or how to support each other in issues that might come up.  I’m very thankful for those who are helping with the tech matters but maybe we should have a separate email for those  who are talking and doing this.  My In Box sure gets full when there is an issue with tech things which I have no understanding.  Not that I don’t want to know but I just don’t understand.

I hope all of you will take this in the matter I’m writing.  I’m so thankful to all of our very smart tech people on this list.  However, I’m on a Mission and not one person has asked about blindness issues on a Mission and etc.  I guess I thought that is what this group was about.  However, if it isn’t I will be fine.

The Lords work will go forth no matter what I think or do and I love him and serve him and that is what my Mission is in life.

Sister England Serving in the Farmington Mission In Tohlakai  NM.

Sandy England

May 28, 2014, 2:23:23 PM5/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

I'm sorry but at first it looked like this was going to be a support group! However, I've heard word that certain things should not be talked about and etc. Remember this is just one Sister expressing her needs and wants. This sight might be just wonderful and maybe I'm looking for something else. Tech talk is great for those who understand it like yourself! For you are very knowledgeable and etc. Anyway, just chock this up to one Sisters opinion about her needs!

Sandy England
Home Phone in California: 530-824-4134
Home Phone in Utah: 801-282-1905

On 5/27/14, Carl Belnap <Carl....@a-dec.com> wrote:
> Why can't we make another group called
>
> Blind l. D. S. computer users group
>
> About 99 Per Cent of posts lately are about Downloading things.
>
> Is this the sole purpose of this group?
>
> Just wondering
>
> Carl Belnap Oregon
>
> --
> -- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at
> http://www.lds.org/disability

> blindlds+group at

Aaron Cannon

May 28, 2014, 6:56:07 PM5/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

I apologize if the list noise is becoming too great for folks.
Honestly though, I am surprised. I am on quite a few lists, and the
traffic on this one is pretty low, comparatively speaking. Never the
less, there are a few simple steps folks can take to help out.

First, make sure you use a specific subject line when posting. People
have been pretty good about this, but reminders never hurt. Likewise,
those of you who are feeling overwhelmed by list traffic, I would
encourage you to look at the subject lines of messages before reading
them. That will undoubtedly save you some time.

Second, let's try to keep discussions on topic. Questions about
accessing the Church site with Jaws, doing genealogy accessibly, ETC.
are on topic. Questions about accessibility of non-church related
sites are not. In short, for something to be on topic for this list,
it needs to relate in some way to blindness, and the Church.
Obviously, there's a ton of latitude there, and I plan to continue to
take a hands off approach to managing this list as much as possible,
so whether or not something is on or off topic will for the most part
be left up to those who post. Here again, I don't think we've done
too badly in the past on this, and this is just a reminder.

Finally, any discussion list is only as good as what gets posted to
it. So, if you would like to see more of a particular type of
discussion happen, by all means, jump in and start it.

To the best of my knowledge, neither Christopher nor I (the only two
list managers) have ever asked folks not to talk about a particular
subject, so unless I am seriously misinformed, I would encourage folks
who have been told such things to consider them rumor and/or personal
opinion. I'm pretty up front, so if there were things I didn't want
folks to talk about, I wouldn't hesitate to share. As long as a
subject is on topic and not otherwise reasonably inappropriate, then I
think it's fair game for the list.

I think setting up a second list is the wrong answer, for a couple
reasons. First, we are a small group as it is, and dividing into
smaller groups is likely to only make discussion more difficult.
Second, in my experience, one list will inevitably end up dieing due
to under use. Third, as mentioned previously, Having two lists is
unlikely to get folks to post things they aren't posting now. Fourth,
while the technical discussions can get quite lengthy, I think they
are necessary if we are going to have accessible content provided by
the Church that works for everyone.

That being said, I'm open to having my mind changed.

In closing, I hope that everyone feels welcome to email me directly if
you ever have any questions or concerns on how the list is managed,
whether or not something would be on topic, ETC. On the other hand, I
also hope that folks don't feel like they have to email me before
starting a new topic. This is your list, make it what you want it to
be.

Thanks all for your participation.

Aaron

ron govin

May 28, 2014, 10:44:43 PM5/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com, Blin...@googlegroups.coma
I think Aaron is right. I look at reading posts to this group
somewhat like listening to the Mormon Channel on my Victor
Stream. I find a program or two within a given time period and
I'm really enthralled and so I listen. Then something comes on
that I'm not too keeu on at the moment and so I go and listen to,
and/or do other things. The program may come on again and I
might be in a different mindset to hear it. The same, I think
applies to this list. This talk about accessible formats can go
on for a bit and it may be too techy for some, and so we more
tune out for a while and when it seems to run its course someone
comes in and starts a new topic. And you know what! That's ok,
because we're all in a position to think on it now and we can
express ourselves. I've started a couple of topics and sometimes
it catches on and other times it doesn't! I'm ok with that!
Frankly, I've got alot of other things going on in my life, now,
which keep me busy.
Sandy, I say, keep hold of your thoughts regarding your mission
experience. That's a great topic! But also let this tech
chapter, if you will, play out because it's important! If
Christopher didn't think so, he wouldn't have approached the
issue, and look what a great exchange has taken place!
Again, I say I'm truly amazed of how much good has come out of
this group-from making apps accessible to video description in
church films-we've really covered alot of ground on this list!

Sandy England

May 29, 2014, 9:18:19 AM5/29/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Ron,

I have no thoughts of leaving just suggesting. It does get my In Box full
however I just go on.