Guide dogs on missions

Greg Kearney

Apr 7, 2015, 11:50:59 AM4/7/15
to blin...@googlegroups.com
Sandy will like to hear this. I was speaking to a person in Salt Lake in the senior missionary department the other day and mentioned that at some point in the future my wife and I might like to serve a mission but we are concerns given that we both have what was at the time of our youth, disqualifying disabilities and that my wife uses a guide dog.

I was told there is now a process for senior couples where a service animal is in use. The couple should, before starting to formal application process, visit with their stake president who will send to the missionary department a wavier request stating the facts of the situation. The dog will, of course, need to be certified as trained by a recognized organization and the Stake President will likely be asked how well the person handles the animal and it behaviour in public settings and so on.

In any even this is some real progress over the "just say no" approach that was one employed. I can see that some missions such as those to visitor's centres are more likely to be offered than others.

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: in...@cbtbc.org

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkea...@gmail.com

Sandy England

Apr 7, 2015, 2:59:19 PM4/7/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
This is interesting. I tried all I could on our Mission to talk about Guide dogs and to show how well behaved they are. I also was with Elder Holland and others while on my Mission. They got to see how well my dog was and even talked to me about her. WE as Guide dog users must always remember that there are people who are scared of dogs and if they bark or growl they will back up from you and won't want to be around that dog. Also to keep the dog brushed and in good grooming aat all times. WE did go to our Stake President and even with that we were turned down. What I understand right now is, on a service Mission Guide dogs can be consider. It is a case by case.On a full time Mission a couple needs a little more. If A Stake President plus a Mission president says they will except that team in their Mission then the church will think about it. Nothing has changed and no rules have been made. I've been in contact with Elder Evans of the 70s and Elder David Baxter of the70 and they both remembered our case and was very glad that it went so well. Now, our Mission President here will let us serve a full time for him if we want it. We have a long ways to go to not have this a case by case.
Thank you for your note.
Sandy -----Original Message-----
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Blind Latter-day Saints group. To post to this group, send email to blin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to blindlds+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/blindlds?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.