Descriptive video exsperiment

Greg Kearney

Apr 20, 2014, 9:32:21 PM4/20/14
to blin...@googlegroups.com, Iain Murray, Chirstopher Phillips, Mary ellen, Eric Fielding
I have been working on a system of producing descriptive video.Descriptive videos are to the blind what closed captions are to the deaf. This is my second attempt. Again we have a video with no dialog in the sound track which makes such videos inaccessible by blind persons.

I have developed software and tools to aid in the production of these. Some of these tools can be seen at www.cbtbc.org/tools/dv/

I have a MacOS program that reads my dvscript XML file and generates all the audio files which can then be added to the existing video at the correct locations giving us a descriptive video track.

Have a look at the following videos that were provided by the LDS Church at the following URL: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtxBBp8UL-HfFJUk6BQvXNDCk7hFokmla

Because of Him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPET6mU0L2o

The Coat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lx5e8KjNAU

Greg Kearney
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkea...@gmail.com

Kyle Woodruff

Apr 20, 2014, 11:45:54 PM4/20/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
This is incredible. Thank you is a huge understatement.

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> -- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at http://www.lds.org/disability
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Blind Latter-day Saints group. To post to this group, send email to blin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to blindlds+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/blindlds?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.

Sherri

Apr 21, 2014, 12:03:03 AM4/21/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com, Iain Murray, Chirstopher Phillips, Mary ellen, Eric Fielding
I am totally impressed with these videos. For so long, I have been just
listening to the sound tracks and getting nothing out of them. This is
awesome. thank you so much Greg for producing these. This could open up a
whole new world and depth of spiritual understanding for the blind. I hope
those in charge of materials for the disabled will understand just how
important this is to us. How wonderful it would be to hear a descriptive
track accompanying the movies in the Temple. I just can't say how very
excited I am about these videos and the possibilities they bring.

Sherri

Aaron Cannon

Apr 21, 2014, 12:28:02 AM4/21/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg.

I agree with everyone else. Great job with the script writing.

If you'd care to send me the scripts for these, I'd love to redo the
voiceover track with a human voice, and perhaps different speakers for
the written text and the description. I assume the script has time
codes for each section?

Aaron

Sandy England

Apr 21, 2014, 11:10:38 AM4/21/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
We are going to take our computer to the church to see if we can get a
Enternet signal and look at twhat you have done. I'm so impressed that you
are willing to do this and take it on. I know you can't do all of them and
the church needs to step up on this! They need to stop making the films
with no speech.
Thank you again,

Sister Sandy England
Cell Phone: 801-634-8002

Apr 23, 2014, 12:16:56 AM4/23/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
I liked the coat the best because you kept it at the same pace and I liked
that. You went to fast on the other one. Thanks so much doing this for us.
Linda Reeder
Apr 23, 2014, 12:52:34 AM4/23/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
The trick in all of this is the pasing of the narrations, I am getting better at that as I have developed some thing to help me find the right speed.

Greg Kearney
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES