Prayers Needed Please

Sylvia Bernert

Nov 28, 2014, 11:46:02 AM11/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Hello List,

I'd rather not go into a lot of detail here, but I'm requesting that you all please keep my family in your prayers.  We've had a very rough week, and yesterday being Thanksgiving, it was one of the hardest days of my life.  We admitted our son into our local Behavior Health Center due to the fact that he attempted suicide the night before.

I have received a bit of judgement and ridicule because I took him in on Thanksgiving.  I'm feeling very mean and inadequate towards myself.  Yet, I feel like I had to do what I did.  You can't wait with something as severe as this.  You have to seek immediate intervention.

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.  I'm wishing you all a wonderful holiday season to come.  I'm truly grateful to the Lord for his tender mercies and for such a wonderful family.  I feel blessed and honored to have the children I have, and just hope I raise them right and in harmony with the gospel.  Hugs to all.

Sylvia Bernert
"If you can conceive it and believe it, you can achieve it."

Greg Kearney

Nov 28, 2014, 12:33:49 PM11/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com, Sylvia Bernert
Sylvia;

You have my family’s prayers for you and your son. Also let me add this, my late father was the only LDS psychiatrist north of Boston and east of Montreal and in this I feel like I am channeling his words to you.

If your son had been involved a car accident and suffered injuries as a result would you not have him rushed to a hospital to receive treatment  regardless of the day, be it Thanksgiving or Christmas? Would anyone in your family or friends questions such an act? So, how is it, that a psychiatric emergency is any different? In fact is it isn’t any different. You acted with the same compassion and humanity in this medical emergency as we hope anyone would to a physical injury.

I have long been puzzled by the way some people, and this is not exclusive to church members by any means, seem to want to treat mental health issues differently than they would physical ones, as if they were somehow different or that the mental illness is some how a weakness of will, something that we would never suggest in the case of accident or illness.

You did the right thing. Indeed you did the only reasonable action in the situation. Hospitals be they for physical or psychiatric illness and injury are maned every hour of every day for a reason. That reason is to relive pain and suffering. To deny a person the aid they offer because some family members or friends want you son with them on Thanksgiving would be the ultimate selfish act on their part.

While hard to imagine at this point, both you and your son and hopefully those of your circle will someday come to see this act of compassion on your part for what it is. Even if your family circle and friends never come to that realization you should. You follow here in the path of Christ. In this act you have blessed your son just as Christ did at the Pool of Bethesda, for you have taken the steps that he might take up his bed and walk again.

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
605 Robson Street, Suite 850
Vancouver BC V6B 5J3
CANADA
Email: in...@cbtbc.org

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES

--
-- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at http://www.lds.org/disability

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Blind Latter-day Saints group. To post to this group, send email to blin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to blindlds+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/blindlds?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.

Frank Welte

Nov 28, 2014, 1:00:08 PM11/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Sylvia:

I think you did the right thing.

Frank Welte

ron govin

Nov 28, 2014, 3:05:01 PM11/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Sylvia. I am a parent of two adult children, both with special
needs. My daughter is bipolar, and their have been some issues
with that. My son has been diagnosed with depression and pretty
much the (alphabet soup) of behavior problems. I know exactly
how you're feeling and if you need to talk, if nothing else to
compare notes I might be in a position to help. I also
understand completely the stigma associated with ;the challenges
from oingrs, (enven from well-meaning people in the church,
unfortunately). I've already put your name in our temple, here
at home too.

Sandy England

Nov 28, 2014, 4:57:38 PM11/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

Sylvia,

Give me a call on the cell number below.

I’m concern and maybe I can offer some comfort here.

Sandy England

Nov 28, 2014, 8:27:53 PM11/28/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

Silvia

I Heavenly Father is wise and always go to him for guidance.  You are a Mom, and you will be doing what you need to do for your kids.  I think you will be wise and do all you cancan for your son.

I would like to talk to you off the Emails please

Sandy England

Home Phone in California: 530-824-4134

Home Phone in Utah: 801-282-1905

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words.  For those of you who have tried to phone or would like me to phone you, please know that I'm not purposely ignoring your attempts to contact me.  I am very much in termoil right now, and as soon as I can pull myself together and keep my composure, I will contact you.

Sylvia Bernert
"If you can conceive it and believe it, you can achieve it."

Sylvia I am so sorry to hear about yourdilemma.  I just called the Salt Lake temple and put your name on the prayer role.  You had to do what you had to do.  Don’t let people bring you down.  You know what it is easy for individuals to say If it were me I would but when it happens to them they do exactly the opisit ..  You are in my prayers Linda Reeder