Formatting of Web Braille Files

Christopher Phillips

May 16, 2014, 7:27:15 PM5/16/14
to Blind LDS
Hello everyone,
As you likely know, we currently offer web braille files online at http://braille.lds.org.  We generally take the files that are used to emboss our braille materials and make them available online with the same formatting used for embossing. We have received some good feedback that we should consider a few formatting changes for the online files.  If any of you are willing to review a couple of files with some of these changes made and provide some feedback, please send me an email at disab...@ldschurch.org.

This is an important (and somewhat urgent) decision for a project, if you have an opinion on online braille files, please take a minute to let us know!

--

Christopher Phillips
Disability Services

parakeet

May 16, 2014, 8:15:14 PM5/16/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
I personally do not care if we have all the formatting.
I find it takes up a lot of  extra space on my Pac Mate.
--
-- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at http://www.lds.org/disability

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Blind Latter-day Saints group. To post to this group, send email to blin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to blindlds+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/blindlds?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.

mary jo hartle

May 16, 2014, 10:52:05 PM5/16/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

HI all, Recently, our ward clerk offered to order a Braille hymn book for us.  It arrived last week, but it looks like there are some major problems with it.  For starters, it was only the index that appears in the last half of the hymn book.  The print on the front cover and first page say that it is the words only (meaning no illustrations I guess) and just the index.  But, it also says “In one volume.”.  The first page of Braille however says that this is volume 3.  So, apparently there has been some printing or proofing error somewhere in the production.  So, how does one go about getting the other two volumes of Braille?  Where can we get just the words to the hymns and not the index?  WE looked online again, and there is nothing else listed for hymns.  If there is no Braille copy of the hymns, can anyone direct me to where I could download the brf of the hymns?  I know this exists as I used to have it on my Braille note. (copied it from a friend though so I never actually downloaded it.)  If we could get that file, we could just emboss it ourselves maybe.  Anyway, any light you all could shed on this matter would be great.  Basically, we just want a Braille copy of the words to the hymns so we can sing along more during sacrament meetings.

Thanks.

Mary JO Hartle

Sandy England

May 16, 2014, 11:54:52 PM5/16/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

I will send you a email regarding this.  You can put it on a SD card and play it on your Victor

Sandy England

Home Phone in California: 530-824-4134

Home Phone in Utah: 801-282-1905

Cell Phone: 801-634-8002

Linda Reeder

May 17, 2014, 10:50:51 AM5/17/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Mary I have a copy of the hymn book on my APEX braille note and I would be glad to send you a copy.  Send me your email address and I will send it to you.  I don't know where you got that book from.  First of all It is in two volumes not three I have a copy of it from along time ago.  You can get it from the distribution center.  Also it is available on the church web site but it is down right now because I just tried it and that is what the message said Linda Reeder
May 18, 2014, 7:05:31 PM5/18/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
I sent it let me know if you get it.  The hard book that I have is two volumes and the index is in volume 2  I have had it for many years.  Linda Reeder

Sherri

May 19, 2014, 8:28:06 AM5/19/14
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Sometimes, the ward clerks get it wrong. The hymn book is in 3 volumes. the first 2 have the words to the hymns and the third volume I believe is the index. I only own the first 2 volumes.

Before they revised the hymn books about 20 years ago or so, APH published a 2-volume set that had words, music and index. It was a traditional hard-covered set.

I have a BrailleNote Apex and have mine on it, which I think is very convenient, but of course, without a battery charge, it won't work, so a hard copy is good. *smile. Hope you have success getting the correct volumes.

sherri