Any tips on interacting with members in a new ward?

Fergie G

Dec 4, 2015, 11:55:56 PM12/4/15
to Blind Latter-day Saints

Hi everyone,

this is my second year as a member and I have moved away from my first ward and to a new city. I am wondering  if anyone had some tips for interacting with other members as I have found that the hardest too do overall.

MY last ward was so unsure of how to interact with blind people, and It made for a load of sad and unsettling encounters. however, I want to hopefully avoid things like that here and would like to know some things that help you with being independent and active in your ward, and good ways to introducing yourself to others :P.

Any tips would be welcome,

Thanks

SANDY ENGLAND

Dec 5, 2015, 12:27:58 AM12/5/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

I would first have a talk with the Rs President and Bishop.  Talk with your visiting teachers and home teachers.  BE out goig and helping and friendly.  It sometimes can be a tuf road however a rewarding one too!

Good Luck,

sAndy

--
-- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at http://www.lds.org/disability

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Blind Latter-day Saints group. To post to this group, send email to blin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to blindlds+u...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/blindlds?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.

Gregory Kearney

Dec 5, 2015, 1:18:20 PM12/5/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
My wife is blind and we have moved quite a bit both in the U.S. and around the world. So here is my advice:

1. Face the issue straight up. You are likely the first blind person anyone in the ward ever meet. They are going to judge, right or wrong, all blind people based on their interaction with you. Tell people how you would like to be treated. The ACB has a little pamphlet on the subject and we got them and handed them out to member of the ward.

2. Meet with your new bishop and explain to him the issues and give him one of these pamphlets as well.

3. In one ward my wife gave a talk in sacrament about blindness and how to treat blind people correctly

4. Try to avoid becoming the ward's service project. Make sure you take part in giving service and not get on the receiving end.

5. If you use a guide dog you will find, if you haven't already, that the biggest problem with people in church will be with the adult men. Children learn in school not to touch or bother the dog, it is my observation that women will seldom fuss over the dog. But adult men need to be reminded not to. It got so bad in one ward we were in that the Bishop had to get up in priesthood meeting and tell the brethren to leave the dog alone.

This is from the ACB website may be useful as well.

WHEN YOU MEET A BLIND PERSON....

Many people are uneasy when thinking about assisting a visually impaired person. The following suggestions will help you feel at ease with blind persons, and are based on thoughtful courtesies you might extend to anyone, sighted or blind.

• There are many ways in which you can be helpful to a blind person in everyday situations, but always ask if the person wishes assistance. If help is needed, they'll be grateful. If not, they will thank you for asking.

• Speaking upon entering a room where there is a blind person is very helpful. Identify yourself and let them know when you're leaving. Don't exit without informing them and leave them talking to thin air.

• When greeting a blind person if others are present, use a name or provide some cue so the blind person can tell for whom your greeting is intended. Remember that blind people can't see when you're looking at them.

• Address a blind person directly, not through someone else, and use a normal tone of voice. When giving directions to a blind person, be specific. Pointing will not help, nor will "over there." Phrases such as "do you see what I mean" or "let's look at the numbers" are a normal part of everyday conversation, so you needn't censor your conversation. Remember, too, that nods and shrugs do not take the place of words.

• If the blind person chooses to accept assistance with moving through an environment, it will be easiest for him or her to hold onto your arm just above the elbow when walking. This will position you about ½ step ahead, and the individual can easily follow your movements. Pause briefly before ascending or descending steps and inform the individual as to whether they are going up or down. When providing assistance to cross the street, stay with the person until the opposite curb has been safely reached.

• Avoid the temptation to pet a dog guide. The dog is a working animal responsible for leading a person who cannot see and should not be distracted or treated like a pet.

• When escorting a blind person to a chair, place his or her hand on the back of the chair or if approaching from the front, guide the individual to a position where he or she can contact the chair with his or her leg. If you take them to a car or bus, guide their hands to the door handle. They'll manage the rest.

• When you dine with a blind person it can be helpful to describe the table setting. The location of food servings can be described as numerals on a clock face, I.E. "your mashed potatoes are at 7 o'clock."

• If you have a money transaction, identify the denomination of the bills so that he or she may fold them according to the individual's own method for identification.

• The most important things needed when you meet blind individuals are your good will and common sense. Remember that blind people think, feel and make decisions just as you do. A blind person is an individual who has usually lost only one sense-the sense of sight. Be natural and enjoy one another.

Gregory Kearney

Dec 5, 2015, 2:59:04 PM12/5/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Here is the little book on how to treat a blind person in epub format
Blind.epub

Aaron Cannon

Dec 6, 2015, 9:59:36 PM12/6/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
I personally prefer this list that's been floating around online for a while:

What Should You Do When You Meet a Blind Person?

1.�If you're in a bar and she's really cute, buy her a drink.
2.�If he's your landlord, pay the rent on time.
3.�If she's your boss, suck up.
4.�If he's your teacher, do your homework.
5.�If she's looking for a job, check her references.
6.�If he's on the jury, sound convincing.
7.�If she's on the jury and you're up for the death penalty, pray.
8.�If he's your chiropractor, lie down.
9.�If she's your coach, get up and run.
10.�If he's your father and you want a new car, be good.
11.�If she's your wife, remember her birthday.
12.�If he's your minister, give generously.
13.�If she's your rabbi, volunteer. For anything.
14.�If he's on the school board, tell him your ideas.
15.�If she's a politician, tell her your demands.
16.�If he's your therapist, tell him your dreams.
17.�If she's your accountant, tell her your goals.
18.�If he's your landlord, pay the rent on time.
19.�If she's your landlord and you fall on the ice on the unshoveled
walk in front of your building, sue her.
20.�If he's your landlord and you fall on the ice on the unshoveled
walk in front of your building and you are illegally subletting a
rent-controlled apartment
in New York, kiss his feet.

Not sure why 2 is duplicated in 18, but it seemed to be an issue with
all versions I found.

Not sure who originally wrote this, but it's a classic.

Aaron

On 12/5/15, Gregory Kearney <gkea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the little book on how to treat a blind person in epub format

Travis Butler

Dec 6, 2015, 11:15:38 PM12/6/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Hahahaha, I needed the laugh. Thank you.
Travis

SANDY ENGLAND

Dec 6, 2015, 11:25:50 PM12/6/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
This is great!

ron govin

Dec 8, 2015, 6:35:41 AM12/8/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Fergie. WILL you attend Priesthood or Relief Sciety?

Sherri

Dec 9, 2015, 2:23:47 AM12/9/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Oh I like that one too.