Website Update March 2015

Norm Gardner

Mar 30, 2015, 8:09:08 PM3/30/15
to blin...@googlegroups.com, phill...@ldschurch.org

Website Update March 2015

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the comments and questions that have recently come in regarding our website: brlcenter.org.

Here is an update on new materials which have recently been posted on our website, as well as a brief reminder of other items on the site.

Newly posted items:

1.  General Conference Talks 1971 through October 2014.

The live audio voices of the speakers are included throughout in these 9 large navigable DAISY books. Using only a Victor Reader Stream, you can easily find any talk in any session, of any conference, from 1971 through 2014! And while reading any talk, you can navigate at the paragraph or “phrase” level, which makes it very easy to locate any desired part of the talk.

Soon after the April 2015 General Conference we will prepare the tenth DAISY book in this series, which will ultimately contain the General Conference talks for 2015 through 2019.

2.   General Conference Talks 1942 through 1970.

These 6 navigable DAISY books contain mp3 files of the synthesized audio of each conference talk. These synthesized audio files were graciously made available to us by the website allaboutmormons.com. They synthesized text files of these conference talks which they obtained from speeches.byu.edu.

3.  General Conference Talks 1942 through October 2014.

These 15  large .htm files contain the General Conference talks in text format. They may be read and navigated on the Victor Reader Stream by using the internal voice synthesizer, or they may be opened, read, and navigated in the web browser of your computer, assuming you are using JAWS. Since these are text files, you may do word searches in the talks and cut and paste passages to documents you may wish to prepare when presenting lessons or talks.

4.  Teachings of the Presidents of the Church, Ezra Taft Benson.

This manual is now available in DAISY format with Enhanced Navigation in both English and Spanish.

Other items on our website:

1. All the Standard Works of Scripture in DAISY format with Enhanced Navigation down to the verse level. Step-by-step navigation instructions for the scriptures are available on the website.

2.  A number of the mose commonly used Church manuals, including the Gospel Doctrine Teacher manuals, “Gospel Principles, Preach My Gospel, Daughters in My Kingdom, and TPC Joseph Fielding Smith. These manuals are in DAISY format with Enhanced Navigation throughout each Lesson. They are also navigable by page, and 3 of these manuals have extensive Indexes which are completely accessible, due to this page by page navigation.

3.  There are almost 50 .html books and manuals with navigation marks throughout the text, which allow for efficient reading and study. These books are by the Church Presidents from Joseph Smith through Joseph Fielding Smith, and also by James E. Talmage, Parley P. Pratt, Hugh Nibley, and Bruce R. McConkie.

Since these books are in text, they may be read and easily navigated with the Victor Reader Stream, or they may be opened in the browser of your computer and easily navigated, provided you are using JAWS.

Our primary objective throughout this project has been to provide efficient and effective access to important Church materials, without the need for a computer or expensive electronic note taker. All these materials are completely accessible using only a Victor Reader Stream or similar device.

Please do not hesitate to send questions or comments. If you experience difficulty downloading these files, please contact us and we may be able to help.

Best regards,

Norm Gardner

801/380-3138 cell

norm.g...@brlcenter.org

Travis Butler

Mar 30, 2015, 9:15:51 PM3/30/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com
Brother Gardner,

This is an excellent update. Thank you for adding all the conference talks
in htm format. It's truly appreciated. Just to let people know, the files
also work well using the NVDA screenreader as well as Jaws.
If I could make one suggestion, or express a thought. For the conference htm
files, I would like to see another level between the conferences and the
talks, and that would be for the sessions, Saturday morning and afternoon,
Priesthood, etc. Maybe make that level 2 and the talks themselves at level
3.
Thank you once again.

Travis
--
-- Visit the LDS.org Disability website at http://www.lds.org/disability

---
"Blind Latter-day Saints" group.
email to BlindLDS+u...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/BlindLDS.

Sandy England

Mar 31, 2015, 9:28:29 AM3/31/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

Norm,

This is Fantastic! What work and boy, I for one thank you and others for doing this!

Norm, thank you for sending that SD card to Ben lee, he needs to contact you for he was listening to it and he said for some reason all the books disappeared so what is a number he can call you only  and talk to you about this?

He is going to the Temple for his endowments April 29th.  We are so proud of him.

Thank you again,

Sandy

Mar 31, 2015, 3:32:29 PM3/31/15
to Blin...@googlegroups.com

Sister England,

Please give Brother Lee  my cell phone number listed below. I will be happy to speak with him and help him all I can.

Congratulations on finishing your mission!

Best,

Norm Gardner

801/380-3138 cell

Norm.g...@brlcenter.org