Jeanneau 35 questions

Jim Martin

May 21, 2015, 8:27:31 PM5/21/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. After 16 years of ownership and ~2 years on the market it looks like our 32s5 Aquila is sold. We have a contract and deposit, the buyer decided to forgo a survey and he had a satisfactory sea trial. Aquila has been a great boat. The old adage about the two best days in a boat owner's life will not be true for us. But, I'm a little tired of constantly dealing with a 25-year-old boat and want something a little bigger and newer. It's time to seriously start considering replacements.

For several years I've been considering a 36s7, but there is only one available in the US. a 1997 model on the Chesapeake. I'm a little reluctant to start out with an 18-year-old boat unless we find a really nice fresh water one. We missed an opportunity on a really nice one last year. I had stubbornly turned down an offer for Aquila and the 36s7 became available 3 months later at a great price - only $ 6k more than the offer for our 32s5. Bad timing, but I certainly didn't want to wind up with two sailboats.

A 36.7 is a remote possibility but has some drawbacks for a non-racer. I'm not happy about the two small aft cabins, the mainsheet traveler just in front of the helm and the resultant limit of a  postage stamp-size bimini. I know they're really great sailing boats, though. And, a 36.7 will be out of the admiral's spending limit.

All of this leads to the Jeanneau 35.  It's a 2004 Sun Odyssey with a dark blue hull.

The good:
She's on our lake and has been in fresh water since 2007.
had a bottom job, buffed & waxed, and new cutlass bearing in November, 2014

The bad:
#1) Teak Decks!
They are in very good condition now, and possibly their reputation is worse than deserved, but they're like a home with a swimming pool. Unless a buyer wants a pool, a potential buyer will either bypass that home or seek a significant price reduction.
#2) Roller Furling main
I'd prefer a classic main, but at age 60, I suppose I need to accept the reality that a furling main may be a positive. If I really hate it, we can always convert to a classic main with Strongtrack.
#3) fixed prop
Please, lets not start another "prop wars", but I think we all agree a folding prop will be a necessary $2k addition.

The boat is listed for $ 81k. Sold comps for '03-'04 SO 35's are $60k, $69k, $85k, $88k, & $95k. The owner has indicated his minimum is $78k. While I want to automatically deduct $ 10k for the teak decks, it's likely the owner has already considered this. So $ 78k may be a fair price.

So, my most important question to the B-List: IWe really like the boat, but......should we consider it, or should we run and keep looking?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Jeanneau-Sun-Odyssey-2658255/Lake-Lanier-NE-of-Atlanta/GA/United-States#.VV5zzk_BzGc
--

_ _

Jim Martin

Peachtree Laser, Inc.

404-352-2565

email: mailto:ptl...@bellsouth.net

website: peachtreelaser.com

Noble, Milner E.

May 21, 2015, 10:00:13 PM5/21/15
to <beneteau-owners@googlegroups.com>
Jim,

Looking at your post, you have answered your own question.
Teak decks are like a swimming pool. Think resale and move on.
--Milner

Sent from my iPhone
website: peachtreelaser.com<http://www.peachtreelasercom/>

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1104** members and growing.

This message and any attachments may contain information that is confidential, privileged and/or protected from disclosure under state and federal laws. If you received this message in error or through inappropriate means, please reply to this message to notify the Sender that the message was received by you in error, and then permanently delete this message from all storage media, without forwarding or retaining a copy.

Jeff Koch

May 21, 2015, 10:27:50 PM5/21/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what the big concern is about teak decks. The teak decks on our
2004 Jeanneau SO49 have not been a bother at all. We've let them weather
to nice silver and they look great. As my good buddy Milner can attest
they provide excellent traction dry or wet. Plus they're a lot easier to
keep clean than the non-skid on my previous 411 which always had gummy
crap stuck in the crevices of the non-skid.

Jeff

Noble, Milner E.

May 21, 2015, 10:43:19 PM5/21/15
to <beneteau-owners@googlegroups.com>
Jeff is correct. On his boat, the decks are a non-issue. It depends on your expectations. If you have expectations about what teak decks should look like, etc., then you may not be happy. The decks on Jeff's boat have had ample family and friend use, a hurricane, etc., with minimal wear, but don't expect a Land's End catalogue look.

I can underscore the excellent traction in all conditions.
--Milner

Sent from my iPhone

> contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Rick L

May 22, 2015, 6:03:30 AM5/22/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Check out the Beneteau 361 made from about 2000 to 2005. Same proce range. Great boat.

Jim Martin

May 27, 2015, 12:32:48 AM5/27/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the advise and opinions. We were about to place a deposit on the one with teak decks, but Milner's comment kept ringing in my ears. While the prejudice against teak decks may or may not be warranted, it does exist. A wild guess is that they would eliminate 75-80% of the market at resale, especially in 10-15 years when those decks are 20-25 years old.

I found a listing for a 2003 SO 35 in Pensacola. I had the broker for our 32s5 call that boat's broker about it on Friday. Our broker didn't have a good feeling about it and figured it was a very used ex-charter boat. Even though it was priced very low, I decided not to consider it. Since it wasn't available for co-op, he suggested I call the FL broker directly. I came away from our conversation with a better feeling and flew to Pensacola yesterday morning.

It is definitely not perfect, but a pretty damned good boat.
The good:
No teak decks
brand-new Schurr main and 135 genoa
brand-new dodger and bimini
new windlass
635 engine hours, all new hoses and belts
very clean and most interior wood is in good condition, especially cabin sole
lots of battery capacity, maybe 700ah in 3 banks
topsides and decks in great condition
rigging and lifelines all in very good shape
Raymarine below-deck autopilot with new head
Salon cushions are a dark

The bad:
no installed air conditioning, though the owner has a brand-new Flagship Marine 18k BTU unit that he's including, and the boat has been plumbed for a/c water
companionway steps have been covered in a hideous rubber. Structurally OK but may need to be replaced.
Only GPS is an ancient one  the nav station
galley countertop  is some kind of Formica and pretty worn. Prob. will need to be replaced
Only has a Raymarine depth meter, so will need new instruments and GPS

The biggest difference is the price - $ 29k less than the Lake Lanier boat. I figure that after decommissioning, transport, recommissioning, a light bottom job, new instruments, a/c installation, and all of the other more minor items, we'll still be $ 15-20k ahead of the Lanier boat, and have new sails, instruments, no teak decks, and have a classic main.

 I gave a deposit on Monday & the survey is next week.

Jim

_ _

Jim Martin