replacement fuel tank sensor

Brian W

Apr 20, 2017, 2:17:13 PM4/20/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Fuel tank sensor in our 1987 First 405 is shot. Does anyone have any ideas about getting a replacement (boat was built in France). Hoping to avoid major surgery on the tank in order to install a replacement.

Thanks,

Brian (s/v Toujours)

--
Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

rvluc...@yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2017, 2:41:41 PM4/20/17
to Beneteau owners group
Is it a VDO gauge? What is your tank capacity?

Bob L
Formerly --Latitudes
Chicago. OC321
From: Brian W <brian....@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:17:10 -0400
Subject: {Beneteau Owners} replacement fuel tank sensor
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Brian W

Skip Ryan

Apr 20, 2017, 11:01:55 PM4/20/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I had a French built 1987 Oceanis 390 and the sensor went out.  An exhaustive search failed to find an easy replacement.  I went to a dip stick.
Skip

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Brian W <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bob...will be able to check on boat tomorrow...B's customer service, when pressed, said that most of that era were VDO. Capacity 35 gallons.
Brian

Rick L

Apr 21, 2017, 7:41:26 AM4/21/17
to Beneteau Owners
If you cant find one, engine hours is by far the most accurate way to guage fuel remaining - assuming you have a pretty good idea of diesel hourly usage (usually about 1 Gallaon per hour for most of us).  Fill the tank to start the process.

Jeffrey

Apr 21, 2017, 7:43:17 AM4/21/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

This is what I suggest find a WEMA tank gauge and use a WEMA sender and never worry again.   Great equipment.

Jeffrey

--

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

UWE Mewes

Apr 21, 2017, 7:50:33 AM4/21/17
to Skip Ryan, benetea...@googlegroups.com
I always try Beneteau in NC first. An other great source is Defender Marine in CT. Even if it's not in the catalogue, they will get for you.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Brian W

Apr 21, 2017, 8:37:20 AM4/21/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
NC's (Customer Service) response to Annapolis Yacht Sales, our local B dealer, was "the owner should get creative".
I remember a couple contacts being mentioned frequently at NC as being responsive and helpful. Can anyone refresh my memory?

UWE Mewes

Apr 21, 2017, 9:32:45 AM4/21/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, it's SC. Google Beneteau Marion SC. You will get address and phone number.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Mohammad Bayegan

Apr 21, 2017, 10:08:31 AM4/21/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Call Todd or Ward. They usually help, specially Todd
Marengo B 49

To post to this group, send email to Benetea...@googlegroups.com

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Skip Ryan

Apr 21, 2017, 11:30:24 PM4/21/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
If my recollection is right, it was an oddball European fitting made by a company that either is out of business or no longer manufactures the item.  It's a 30 year old boat.  I went to Beneteau first and dug from there. No luck.  Maybe you have a different types sender, but the vintage is the same.  Keep a good engine log.  Good luck.

Mohammad Bayegan

Apr 22, 2017, 12:15:04 AM4/22/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Why not cap off the existing hole and get a new sender and matching gage, there should be a templet to cut the new hole. It may take a few tries to adjust it. Mainly you want to make sure it zeros at empty with a few gallons left for reserve.
Marengo
B 49.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Jeffrey

Apr 22, 2017, 7:54:24 AM4/22/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Replace sender and gauge with WEMA brand sender  WWW.wemausa.com  they also make a mounting assembly kit, senders are fool proof don’t cost much at all and work great, I put them in all fuel and water tanks in my boat.

Because the aluminum tank top from the old POS sender was beat up and holes stripped out I used a fuel sender adapter kit that bolted over the old holes and had holes tapped for new sender.  Also not an expensive part, since then I have perfect fuel sending info and no leaks.

Jeffrey Schwartz

Mystiko  (for sale in Miami)

From: Brian W <brian....@gmail.com>

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:17:10 -0400

[...]

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Beneteau-Owners
contact
denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

[...]

Brian W

Apr 23, 2017, 8:44:23 AM4/23/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone...a lot of great suggestions to investigate. Will let you all know how things turn out. May be some more questions to follow as things progress.
Cheers,
Brian (s/v Toujours - BF405)

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Jeffrey <jeff...@comcast.net> wrote:

Replace sender and gauge with WEMA brand sender  WWW.wemausa.com  they also make a mounting assembly kit, senders are fool proof don’t cost much at all and work great, I put them in all fuel and water tanks in my boat.

Because the aluminum tank top from the old POS sender was beat up and holes stripped out I used a fuel sender adapter kit that bolted over the old holes and had holes tapped for new sender.  Also not an expensive part, since then I have perfect fuel sending info and no leaks.

Jeffrey Schwartz

Mystiko  (for sale in Miami)

Brian W

Apr 24, 2017, 9:09:54 AM4/24/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
The fuel gauge is Jeager, not VDO.
Looked at the sender...no manufacturer info, but did have some numbers on top...
first line: 07428501
second line 12v j6

presume 12v is 12 volt.
Picture of sender attached

Tank capacity is 133L (35 gal)

Cheers,
Brian
s/v Toujours
First 405

From: Brian W <brian....@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:17:10 -0400

[...]

BF 405 Fuel Sender Resized.jpg

rvluc...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2017, 10:21:43 AM4/24/17
to Beneteau owners group
Brian:

The extra VDO sensor I have will not fit your tank. The tank on the oc321 is not that large.

Sorry.

Bob L

From: Brian W <brian....@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 09:09:50 -0400